Loaded to spring

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited April 11, 2004 in Wildlife
In Newton, MA, we have lots of buds, but not many flowers yet. I expect this to change in the next few days. In the meantime, I shot some of the buds:

3363024-L.jpg

3346248-L.jpg

In the process, I remembered a macro trick that I'd forgotten. Use the on camera flash, even in sunlight. That's how I managed to get the black background in the first shot (not a photoshop trick, really!) Also, in the process I remembered just how big an issue depth of field is with this sort of work. Even when it's my number 1 concern, it still bites me (as in the second shot.)
If not now, when?

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2004
    very cool
    nice shots, and a perfect subject for this time of year.

ahh spring

:andy
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2004
    Rutt, thanks for the tip, I'll have to try the flash on macro. thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2004
    Speaking of Spring...
    Very nice shots. Down here in south Georgia we are in full bloom. Here is an example from my rose garden. They are just beginning to bloom. The water drops were really there , no spray bottle tricks! : )
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
    edited April 10, 2004
    Another Rose
    This is a Don Juan Rose. It was an interesting shot. It was severly underexposed, almost black. I changed levels in photoshop, but nothing else, with this result. Interesting...

Thomas

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2004
    Get thee over to the Rose Thread.

This shot sucks, but it's night and I can't see shyte outside right now. :lol
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2004
    More Spring Buds
    Buds...

3229061-L.jpg
    edited April 11, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Get thee over to the Rose Thread.

This shot sucks, but it's night and I can't see shyte outside right now. :lol
    Thanks, off to the Rose Thread. I've got lots of Roses!

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com