Options

Sticky-Filters-(review)

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited December 5, 2011 in Accessories
A month or so ago I recieved a set of "Sticky- Filters" from Kent Watkins and Midsouth Photographic Specialties, Inc. These are filters designed to aid in balancing flash temerature to that of ambient light. Differing from a standard acetate filter gel, these have an adhesive side to them to speed up the process of attatching them to a flash unit without having to use tape, velcro, or any other attatchment aid.

Photos and manufacturer information can be obtained at http://www.stickyfilters.com/

The Sticky-Filter set comes with 2 of each color gel in 5 different colors. The colors in the set are: 2 different densities of orange (for use in tungsten light), blue (for use in outdoor shade), green (for use under cool white flourescent lights), and a greenish yellow (for use under unknown florescents). Why 2 of each color? Sticky filters offers a lifetime warranty. If one becomes damaged you will have a spare to use while waiting for a replacement set. A nice touch. The full info on the warranty is available at their website.

The set comes in a clear, foldable, wallet that holds all of the filters. Easy enough to shove into a minimal amount of space in a camera bag, but large enough to be able to locate. Folded it is about the size of a business card holder.

Each gel measures 3 1/4" x 2". This is much larger than needed for the Canon 580EXII flash that I use, but may be a selling point for others with larger flash heads. I like using a Gary Fong Lightspere when I need a diffuser, so I first had to trim the gels to fit onto the flash head, but inside of the Lightspere.

My first use of these was a couple weeks ago at a wedding. The event took place in a church that was almost completely lit by daylight except for the tungsten lit altar area. Though I did not use a flash during the ceremony, I did use one for the aisle shots before the ceremony. In addition, earlier in the day I used fill flash on some outdoor photos. The reception required flash as a primary light source for all of the photos.

Before the wedding:
I was alternately changing locations from one building where the girls were dressing and another where the guys were dressing. I also took time to shoot a few outdoor shots. At this time I was using the darkest of the orange filters for the indoor shots, and the blue filter outdoors. I kept the filter I wasn't using stuck to the back side of my flash unit. Out of the way, but ready for a quick swap.

A few samples( White balance set in Adobe Lightroom):

Indoors with darkest of orange filters.
339281113_TMbrr-S.jpg

339191941_CvY8u-M.jpg

Outdoors with the blue filter

339295585_me7PT-S.jpg
339300667_foAjV-M.jpg

The ceremony was a challenge due to the mixed daylight and tungsten. I made a decision to set a Custom White balance based on the lighting at the altar, but slightly toward the wings to take into account at least some of the daylight. On the aisle shots where I used flash I used the lightest or least intense of the orange filters.

Samples (WB corrected in Adobe Lightroom)

339203363_S7VrS-M.jpg
339239949_xipNu-S.jpg

Lastly, the reception. There was virtually zero ambient light here except for some electrically lit stained glass. I could have gone without a filter gel in this instance, but decided to use the lightest of the orange filters to take into account what little light there was, but to also leave the decorative christmas light strings a warm orange after the photos had been WB corrected in Adobe Lightroom.

339330295_SP7cx-M.jpg
339336990_WsLoT-S.jpg
339809599_LoVvm-M.jpg

In all I was pleased with the results I got using the filters. I have long been aware of the benifit of using such devices to balance the color temperature of flash with that of ambient lighting. These worked as advertised.

I unfortunately have not had the opportunity to make use of the two filters that are included for flourescent light. Maybe soon!

What I liked:
-Worked as advertised
-Inclusion of a filter for correcting in flourescent light
-Some instructional material to be of help with first timers

What I didn't like so much:
-I had to trim them to fit my flash head
-Though the wallet is compact when folded it is cumbersome to get the filters in and out of it.

I hope this is complete enough. If not I am willing to take questions. I hope to add more here when I get an opportunity to shoot in flourescent light.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,825 moderator
    edited July 29, 2008
    Jeff,

Nice review and thanks sooo much for the examples. Looks good. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Jeff,

Nice review and thanks sooo much for the examples. Looks good. thumb.gif

Thanks Ziggy,

I am going out of town today for another wedding this weekend. Although it will be held outdoors, I will at least make an attempt to follow the bride for the weekend, and may possibly get the opportunity to try those flourescent gels in doing so.

Stay tuned?mwink.gif
  • Options
    linandjirsalinandjirsa Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited September 28, 2010
    Love Sticky Filters! - Wrote Review
    I love sticky filters. I wrote an article with a detailed review here:

http://www.slrlounge.com/sticky-filters-review-photography-equipment-review

Enjoy!

Chris
  • Options
    patrhamespatrhames Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 17, 2011
    Melting adhesive
    Spoke to a camera shop sales guy about this product and he opined that the light would melt the adhesive. Seems unlikely to me, but does anyone have any hard evidence?
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2011
    patrhames wrote: »
    Spoke to a camera shop sales guy about this product and he opined that the light would melt the adhesive. Seems unlikely to me, but does anyone have any hard evidence?

I havent used sticky filters that much. A similar product "Phoxle" flash match gets I have used a BUNCH. I discolored one once, but I have NEVER melted one. They are like sticky notes....and can be pulled off and used over and over again.

I give the Phoxles an A+thumb.gif
  • Options
    patrhamespatrhames Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 17, 2011
    Thanks
    jeffreaux2 wrote: »
    I havent used sticky filters that much. A similar product "Phoxle" flash match gets I have used a BUNCH. I discolored one once, but I have NEVER melted one. They are like sticky notes....and can be pulled off and used over and over again.

I give the Phoxles an A+thumb.gif

I will give them a try. Thank you for the info.
  • Options
    travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2011
    Great review Jeff.
    Travis M. Chance
    twin Mark IV's & a bunch of "L" glass
    sitefacebook