2.5 Primary/pastel. need opinions...

JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
edited August 3, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
This was the first thing I thought of when I read the theme yesterday for 2.5. Today was a bright sunny morning (first one all week) and I took the opportunity to go out and shoot some primary color with the most perfect lighting...the sun! Here is what I came up with. I really need to know what others think. Do you like or dislike. Do you see where they can be improved? Do you have a favorite? Should I scrap this idea and try something different? All opinions and critiques are welcome!

UPDATED 8/2

2. Whats entered now....
341609757_KoULh-L-1.jpg

3.With minor change in background.....
343692365_Q4KmT-L-1.jpg

4. The original image (and background) with less swirl and cropped....
343694191_8gfJs-L-2.jpg

Ok two more to add to the mix. I had been questioning the background also. Although I like the gradient I thought it was too dark on the right. I added texture to it. I like the original background too...but cannot put as much swirl in. The more extreme swirl causes the image to tilt. Thus distorting the background glass table. So what are your thoughts on what is posted now?

Ok...I think this might do better...although I will not go white canvas. I tried it and it really dimished the primary colors...too distracting for a background. I also tried it in cream with the same effect on the colors...so I am sticking with the nuetral grey...just lighter. Thanks for your input.

Comments

• KurtPrestonKurtPreston Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    #2 Seems to have some real possibilities, but maybe more paint and less glass top would help. And experiment to find an even more interesting pattern.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    3rd works best for me
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • VelvtRideVelvtRide Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    My .02

#1 is fantastic - I would lose the white background by either cropping or focusing in closer.

#2 is a bit on the plain side for me, even though the colors are vibrant - I would choose a different palate for the paint.

#3 is colorful, but the big blue paint stripe(scraper?) coming out of the bottom is distracting.

#4 is nice, but busy. It looks a bit awkward from the 'scrapes' from putting the paint in it's blob form. I would try maybe darkening it up some so each color was more visible - understanding that you 'blew it out' for a reason.

Very nice idea! thumb.gif
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    i like #1 except that the table ends in the BG....maybe a little more angle to fill up the top of the frame with glass instead of open space...ne_nau.gifne_nau.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    I think # 1 would be great reshot without white bg
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    #1 with a tight crop. Then clone out any remaining white from the background with the glass foreground, if necessary.
  • SwintonianSwintonian Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    Nice Color.
    I too like #1, with a tighter crop. #2 is my favorite thought. Very interesting. #3 I find myself reading the label and staring at the bar code more than the paint. #4 gets a bit muddy for me. Great concept.
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited July 29, 2008
    Check out the edited versions...
    thanks all for your comments. Let me know what you think about the new edits and additons. Thank you so much for your time!
    edited July 29, 2008
    I like the new #1 with the crop, but the new #2 ROCKS! ylsuper.gif

Is there any way you can minimize those fuzzies at the end of the brush on #2? They make it look a but like the brush is not quite blending with the paint. That's my only nitpick with it.
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    #2 is good to go.thumb.gif

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • KurtPrestonKurtPreston Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    #2 Is cookin with gas now! I agree with richersl in that the blurry brush needs to be sharper to match the excellent sharpness and detail of the paint. This could be a very strong entry.
    edited July 29, 2008
    richtersl wrote:

Is there any way you can minimize those fuzzies at the end of the brush on #2? They make it look a but like the brush is not quite blending with the paint. That's my only nitpick with it.

Ditto! thumb.gif
  • douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    I agree #1 is better now, but the new # 2 gets my vote now, well done!
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    VelvtRide wrote:
    richtersl wrote:

Ditto! thumb.gif
    Ditto! Ditto! thumb.gifthumb.gif
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    LOVE #2 - I would vote for that one!
    edited July 29, 2008
    Ok...I think I am done.....
    Thanks for your imput. I put the final edit in the above post and on contest page.
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    Cuong wrote:
    #2 is good to go.thumb.gif

Cuong

thumb.gifthumb.gif
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2008
    Didn't see this thread before, but I will say I Love your current entry...Kudos. Glad you chose it!!
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
    edited July 31, 2008
    Thank you evoryware and Tentacion!!
    edited August 1, 2008
    i dont know if your up to more opinions....

i think the BG detracts as a grad.... i think a solid would do better...
    or why not some sort of canvas texture layer that has a twist like inner glow....just some ideas....ne_nau.gif dont shoot me
    Aaron Nelson
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2008
    Joyce,
    great idea and very nice execution.thumb.gifbowdown.gif
    The only thing that turns me off here is an artificial-looking gradiented background. ne_nau.gif
    Nice neutral rough-textured canvas would make it flawless (in my book, at least) ...deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited August 2, 2008

or why not some sort of canvas texture layer that has a twist like inner glow....just some ideas....ne_nau.gif dont shoot me
    Laughing.gif
    sorry, Aaron, didn't mean to copy your post, esp a day later rolleyes1.gif
    edited August 2, 2008
    now thats some funny stuff......rolleyes1.gif
    Aaron Nelson
    edited August 2, 2008

I am always up for more opinions. Thank you Aaron and Nikolai. Actually I had been coming in daily and looking at the image....wondering if the background needed a little something. I like the gradient...but the right is too dark. So I added some texture and lightened it up a bit.

I also like the original background. I like the texture of it. But if I use it...because of the whole image being used...I cannot make the twirl so dramatic. Check the original post and see what you all think??? Thanks.
    edited August 2, 2008
    JAG wrote:
    I am always up for more opinions. Thank you Aaron and Nikolai. Actually I had been coming in daily and looking at the image....wondering if the background needed a little something. I like the gradient...but the right is too dark. So I added some texture and lightened it up a bit.

I also like the original background. I like the texture of it. But if I use it...because of the whole image being used...I cannot make the twirl so dramatic. Check the original post and see what you all think??? Thanks.

You really want some regular pattern there, so it doesn't draw attention to iself and looks natural. Again, like Aaron suggested, simple canvals-like bg will suffice.
    edited August 2, 2008
    The original background competes too much. I like the lighter gradient, but like Aaron and Nikolai, I'm curious as to what a canvas background might look like. headscratch.gif
    edited August 2, 2008
    Might as well round it out for ya and tell ya that I like the original bg best. lol3.gif

To me, the darkness part of the bg pulls in the big blue color next to it as well as the brush. It's pleasing to view and I didn't realize just how pleasing until I saw it with the lighter bg.

I do like #3, however. lol3.gif

I'm sure this help a ton. :uhoh
    edited August 2, 2008
    richtersl wrote:
    The original background competes too much. I like the lighter gradient, but like Aaron and Nikolai, I'm curious as to what a canvas background might look like. headscratch.gif

Thanks all who have commented. I decided to go ahead and be traditional with the canvas look. But am sticking with the grey vs white canvas. The white canvas is just too bright and takes away from the bright colors. Grey is very neutral and helps the primary colors to pop without distracting.
    edited August 2, 2008
    hey nice work, i like #3 and #3a....
    Aaron Nelson
    edited August 2, 2008
    I like the canvas. And, I agree with you about sticking to the grey background.

Now that I see them both, the lighter grey with the canvas seems to makes the colors pop more than the lighter gradient does. deal.gif