Thunderstorm Oslo, Norway!

ulrikftulrikft Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
edited July 31, 2008 in Landscapes
341404480_T2WYY-L.jpg

341404552_SPL5F-L.jpg

Wild weather :D
-Ulrik

Canon EOS 30D, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, Tokina 12-24 f/4. Sigma 1.4 TC, Feisol 3401 Tripod + Feisol ballhead, Metz 58 AF-1 C, ebay triggers.

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    Wow these are very cool bolts !!
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    Wow, the 1st one is cool... and scary. Nice!
  • ulrikftulrikft Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008

I know it is a bit cliche, but it was a norwegian record in lightnings per hour last night, so I just had to capture some of it :P
    -Ulrik

Canon EOS 30D, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, Tokina 12-24 f/4. Sigma 1.4 TC, Feisol 3401 Tripod + Feisol ballhead, Metz 58 AF-1 C, ebay triggers.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    Great shots. I like #1 the best clap.gif
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    This is my favorite kind of weather, especially when I am not running through a wet swamp carrying a tripod over my shouldereek7.gif Number 2 is greatthumb.gif
  • ShebaJoShebaJo Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    beautiful
    I love lightning, storms. I have fun shooting, but have not been as successful as you. Great shots, especially #1, multi bolts. But #2 is really striking (no pun intended). clap.gif

Did you use longer exposures, or was the lightning heavy/frequent? I would love to capture that many bolts... at least one time in my life. Any tips would be very much appreciated. :help
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    Wonderful, perfect, gorgeous!

Love the city lights to compliment the nature lights. :D
    edited July 30, 2008
    ShebaJo wrote:
    I love lightning, storms. I have fun shooting, but have not been as successful as you. Great shots, especially #1, multi bolts. But #2 is really striking (no pun intended). clap.gif

Did you use longer exposures, or was the lightning heavy/frequent? I would love to capture that many bolts... at least one time in my life. Any tips would be very much appreciated. :help

Hey!

Glad you liked them :D

I did it quite simple, put my camera with mlu and remote trigger on a tripod and did 15-25 sec exposures with f8-f11. The thunderstorm was the worst the last 50 years (20.000 lightning strikes in the area), so quite heavy bolting!
    -Ulrik

edited July 30, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Wonderful, perfect, gorgeous!

Love the city lights to compliment the nature lights. :D

Thanks a bunch :D
    -Ulrik

• pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    That is so cool!

I like the BW treatment for a change, and you've got loads of contrast.
    I suppose you shot these with long exposures?

In case your interested: me and a friend of mine are working on a light sensor based DIY lightning trigger. Our prototype is good enough to reject fluorescent tube lighting while still able to trigger from a camera flash popping in the next room - at minimum power. We hope that it will be sensitive enough to catch lightning in daylight. It's a similar project to the commercial Lightning trigger out there.

I'll document it in the accessories section when we have it packaged and tested with actual lightning.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    That is so cool!

I like the BW treatment for a change, and you've got loads of contrast.
    I suppose you shot these with long exposures?

In case your interested: me and a friend of mine are working on a light sensor based DIY lightning trigger. Our prototype is good enough to reject fluorescent tube lighting while still able to trigger from a camera flash popping in the next room - at minimum power. We hope that it will be sensitive enough to catch lightning in daylight. It's a similar project to the commercial Lightning trigger out there.

I'll document it in the accessories section when we have it packaged and tested with actual lightning.

That sounds AWESOME! Please do and I'll keep my eyes peeled for something like that. :D

We can all use some more lightning photography in our lives, I think. thumb.gif
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    That sounds AWESOME! Please do and I'll keep my eyes peeled for something like that. :D

We can all use some more lightning photography in our lives, I think. thumb.gif

We sure can :D

Thanks for the encouragement Schmoo. Right now we still have to switch sensors, the current one we had available for testing maxes out in daylight. We have the parts on order and the circuit board sketched out. I hope we get it put together before the next bit of thunder :D
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • ShebaJoShebaJo Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    ulrikft wrote:
    Hey!

Glad you liked them :D

I did it quite simple, put my camera with mlu and remote trigger on a tripod and did 15-25 sec exposures with f8-f11. The thunderstorm was the worst the last 50 years (20.000 lightning strikes in the area), so quite heavy bolting!
    :wow WOW... 20,000 strikes! That is amazing...:wow

Thanks for the settings. Hopefully I will get some bolts, get a good capture. That storm must have been sooo fun & exciting to see & shoot. Way to go thumb.gif
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2008
    Heck ya! Pretty nice. thumb.gif I'm wondering if shot #2 was taken before
    shot #1. That storm front is intense.
    Michael
    edited July 31, 2008
    Thanks again for your comments :D

That DiY solution sounds very nice! You got to keep me updated on that one :D

#2 may have come before #1, have to check that one out.. the stormfront was _massive_ and came in so fast.. it was amazing for a storm junkie like me clap.gif
    -Ulrik

• cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2008
    wow that first shot Is incredible! I have yet to get a good shot of lightning. very nice!