Portrait Photographers -- Your Help Please

crockettcrockett Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
edited July 30, 2008 in People
Oh how I loathe to do this, but here goes....

A little background. I've been considering entering the world of "paid" photography. Being a serious amatuer, I've had more than a few suggestions from people that I should do work for hire. I'm no dummy and I realize the majority of these suggestions stem from the fact that people believe that "semi-pro" equipment equals "pro" results. I know full well, it's just not that simple. However, I do have a desire to do more with my photography. I've already done quite a bit of sports shooting (helping a pro for free) and my own kids. I feel comfortable doing this and it has given me good basic photo skills but I don't like the business path of youth sports photography. So, I'm cosidering portrait work. Starting with senior photos.

Hopefully, this post will be one of many. I'm starting very slow. I took a few shots of my daughter tonight with the "senior portrait" theme in mind (she's only a sophomore). Picked one pose in hopes of capturing one printable picture. This was the goal of the session.

My thoughts....28 exposures. My daughter picked her favorite, I picked mine. We are worlds apart. She loved hers, I hated it. She was O.K. with my pick. PS'd the photos and posted for your ideas, suggestion, thoughts, etc.

Canon 30D 17-55 2.8 IS. Almost near sunset, in the shade, flash on camera, with a "better bounce card".

Photo #1 1/10 5.6 ISO 400 35mm Landscape orientation and cropped. (Yes 1/10...rookie mistake but it looks sharp to me.)
Photo #2 1/60 2.8 ISO 400 51mm Portrait orientation.

That's it....I need some thoughts. My next assignment is simply to just try a new pose at some location.

341682229_Pf4mS-L.jpg

341688342_37zjE-L.jpg

Comments

• ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    S-l-o-w
    I think that you might want to consider putting up images in the people forum. Regularly. You will get constructive critique about your images. Go Slow. Takle lots and lots of photos. Learn everything you can about light and finishing people photography. Go out and talk to people to market.

If you're serious, write a business plan and a marketing plan. Set up a set of books. Find out about what you need to do to set up formally - go see your accountant so you get the right advice. Learn about the business side of business because photography business is 80% about getting clients and selling. Your skills need to be top notch. Don't underprice your work. Figure our your real cost of business: Gas, Phones, Time, Advertising.

It's not all about gear. You have to create your own style. Look here at what others are doing. Look online for the local pros to see what they're selling. Join PPA and WPPI. You will get a ton of information.

These are decent headshots and a place to start. The first is a bit green in cast, but I am not on a monitor that's calibrated. Here the seniors in the high end market do lifestyle shots. More than headshots. You will find your niche. Good luck.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    These are decent headshots with pretty good lighting. The smile seems forced to me, but hard to really say since I don't know her.

Quite frankly, these are not the type of shots that most seniors want for their senior portraits. You need to do some homework and look at some of the great examples of senior shots that are out their. Most want environmental portraits with edgy processing. The old fashioned headshot is just not enough anymore.

You're lucky that you have a willing subject. Find some interesting locations and keep practicing.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    in regards to these 2 photos:

#1) the lighting is ok except for the dark shadow under her chin. I think the choice of shirt and backdrop can be improved. The shirt is a bit drab for her perky face and kinda melts into muddled tree bark background.

#2) the shadow under her chin is gone now but her face is a bit washed out now. No "pop"

I would echo the other post as well. Need more creative/dynamic poses and back grounds for senior pics to capture the youth!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • crockettcrockett Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    Thanks so much for all of the comments everyone. Every comment hit on thoughts I've already had which helps me at least believe that I'm thinking in the right direction.

Just to put everyone at ease, we both knew going into that these were going to be an "old fashioned" pose. I wanted to concentrate on lighting, working with a subject and seeing if I could even produce a solid, sharp photo. We just walked out to the backyard and picked a tree. I believe I accomplished that.

Tonight we're going to try some "real/fake" photos which will hopefully include some more modern posing. Just 2 poses and see what happens.

I agree, my two biggest complaints were the dark shadow under the chin in one photo and the shirt, both in color and fit for a head shot. It would have worked better in a torso shot or with jeans.
  • NateWagnerNateWagner Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    well, I may be kind of late in commenting, but here goes.

#1 I agree with the above poster that it does have a greenish tint and her left eye seems slightly blue-ish You may want to work with the white balance a tad. Also, it may be my imagination, but it looks like there is a halo around her head where you missed masking in order to blur out the background which to me is quite distracting. You have already mentioned the shadow, which is the negative there.

#2 I think a bit more contrast would help this one. Of course, that may be because I'm a huge fan of contrast in general. Coloring is definitely better. I definitely like this shot better out of the two.

I am not really in a good position to judge however, as I am also just starting to try to get into the senior photo/ engagement photo type photography. Thus take my comments with a grain of salt.
    Thanks,
    -Nate

Equipment
    Canon Stuff (and third party stuff as well)
    Tampa Bay Wedding Photography