where to buy a used ef-s 17-55 canon lens?

alexpopalexpop Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited July 30, 2008 in Cameras
Hi there,

i would like to purchased a used 17-55 ef-s canon lens to use with my rebel xt camera. The price of around 900$ for a new one looks a litle too much for me right now.
Do you guys have any ideea where i can find this lens online?
i am living in europe, but i have a close friend in us now and he can bring it to me in 2-3 weeks. He can buy it online (he is in Atlanta now).

thx

Comments

• Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    You can always check dgrin's flea market! I believe there is one on sale right now, but you will have to ask the seller if he is willing to ship internationally!

Always check the flea market here, as it is a great place to shop for great deals!wings.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • alexpopalexpop Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 30, 2008
    seen that offer
    hi, thanks a lot for the advice.
    have seen the post, but it is still pretty expensive - around 850 usd (you can get it with 900-1000 usd new.
    i would like to pay a max of 500 usd.. so i need to find one which is more used than this offer (which looks brand new.:) )
    thx, i will keep looking.
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    For a 17-55 IS f/2.8 in great condition being sold at around $500 is pretty much non-existent. It is a great lens and so for the seller to sell that cheap...
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif - The market for this lens was, not so long ago, so tight that you could not find one anywhere. All the retail outlets were completely sold out - and it wasn't a momentary event. It lasted for some time. Canon has, I believe, responded to the demand by either building more or simply releasing more into the product pipeline.

At any rate, I might suggest to you that if you find one for less than about $800, you had better check it over very carefully.

All that having been said, this lens is well worth the money. It is the lens I consider first when attmepting to solve a photographic problem - don't always use it, but it's the first I consider.
  • CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    alexpop wrote:
    hi, thanks a lot for the advice.
    have seen the post, but it is still pretty expensive - around 850 usd (you can get it with 900-1000 usd new.
    i would like to pay a max of 500 usd.. so i need to find one which is more used than this offer (which looks brand new.:) )
    thx, i will keep looking.

To be honest, I don't think you'll find a working copy for anywhere near $500. I briefly scanned the Flea Market here and didn't find one that has sold for less than $830. These lenses hold their value extremely well. You may be better off looking at quality alternatives, such as the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. If you're set on the 17-55 EF-S lens, you'll probably need to save a bit more. ne_nau.gif
  • alexpopalexpop Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 30, 2008
    i kind of start getting the picture about this lens.
    i understand better why everybody on all analysis tell that this lens rocks.
    so, i think i have to save a little bit more.. hopefully in autumn i will find better prices too.

thx a lot.
    anyway, if you see it for sale anywhere, please let me know. - alexpop@easycomm.ro