Options

Lightroom: new calibration profiles (beta)

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
edited July 30, 2008 in Finishing School
Not sure if you guys noticed another hidden gem announced with Lightroom 2. Seems as though Adobe has finally admitted to undersaturating reds and oranges as many have noticed. They have new camera profiles undergoing beta testing now with an Adobe Standard as well as Canon/Nikon ones that mimic some of the in-camera profiles (ie neutral, landscape, portrait...)

Here is some info from their FAQ:
What are Adobe Standard profiles?

The new Adobe Standard (AS) profiles are designed to improve color rendering compared to our previous camera profiles (e.g., ACR 4.4 and earlier), especially in reds, oranges, and yellows.

In some cases, deep saturated reds with our earlier profiles came out undersaturated and/or orange-ish. This issue has been fixed with the new AS profiles without adversely affecting skin tones.

All AS profiles are identified with the prefix Adobe Standard in CR / LR's Profile popup menu.

You can download the new profiles here:
http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/DNG_Profiles

The only issue I have is that I was applying my own adjustments to the different channels on import to correct some of these orange/red issues. Now I'm trying to decide if it is worth removing that adjustment (with a preset) and using the new profiles. I'll likely wait til these are official. In my quick look last night they do look MUCH better than the old ACR profiles.

E