Ghost Train

BrodyBrody Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
edited September 13, 2008 in Landscapes
Just sharing a shot I got a few months ago.

Update: When I posted this image a month ago, I was just sharing a fun little conceptual photographic experiment. The events of yesterday have given it a whole new meaning for me. This is the MetroLink commuter train that crashed yesterday in Chatsworth around the bend from where I was standing when I took the image. As it stands now, the confirmed death toll is 25, the injured over 135, and both tolls are expected to climb significantly. Governor Schwarzenegger is there now working with the local authorities. All I can do is give my condolences to the families and friends affected.

Even the "Ghost Train" name I gave it takes on an eerie new meaning for me...

274004048_5H82v-XL-2.jpg

John Brody
Travel & Landscape Favorites at JohnBrody.com / Facebook / Blog / JohnBrodyPhotography.com
________________________________________________________________________________________________

Comments

• TylwyddTylwydd Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    Can't give much feedback other than I like your shot, composition and idea ! Nicely done !
    Olympus fan :D : E520 ; ZD 50 mm ; ZD 14-54 mm ; ZD 50-200 mm SWD

http://tylwydd.smugmug.com/
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    Wow man great idea well executed ! loved it
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    Very good indeed thumb.gif
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2008
    that is so cool!!!! WOW:wow
    Aaron Nelson
  • frosty111frosty111 Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2008
    may i ask how u executed that?
    how'd ya do that
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2008
    Pretty dang cool. thumb.gif Not sure I have seen much like it done so well.
    Michael
  • BrodyBrody Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    Thanks everyone,

I appreciate all the comments - It makes it worth it that I was playing dodge with a train... :D

By The Way... How do I get notified when people make comments on a picture or post of mine?? Does anyone know? I had know idean that there were comments on this image. I saw one I think, but none of the others... Didn't know they were here til I stubled back across the post.

Any advice welcome.

Take care, John
    Travel & Landscape Favorites at JohnBrody.com / Facebook / Blog / JohnBrodyPhotography.com
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    I think the coolness of the colors in the image work well with the title. Nice job.
    edited August 4, 2008
    frosty111 wrote:
    may i ask how u executed that?
    how'd ya do that

No problem frosty. I took three shots on stacked them. You can see the 2nd shot of the series in the headlights of the train as it appeared around the corner.

The KEY is having a tripod you could lift a car with, because the train was doing about 50 - 60 mph. But even with that, there's a little motion blur that's unavoidable because the ground vibrates from the 100 ton train and the blast of air - I was maybe 6 feet fron the train... I had a 20+ pound bag of rocks hanging from the tripod to keep it stable from the wind, but I think that only made it worse from the ground shake because it pressed it against the vibrating earth.... And for multiples, of course, a remote shutter release is also useful.

Hope that helps, write me if you need more.

John Brody
    edited August 4, 2008
    I think the coolness of the colors in the image work well with the title. Nice job.

Now I'm quite pleased - I actually was trying for that ethereal feeling... I did tweak a few sliders to make it happen.

Thanks, John
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    Eerily/Spooky good.
  • snowalkersnowalker Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited August 9, 2008
    hey
    nice job done! briliant idea! can we see more scenes with the train?
    edited August 17, 2008
    snowalker wrote:
    nice job done! briliant idea! can we see more scenes with the train?

That's easy enough, there are a couple more in my Favorites album on SM - Just click my signature link below.

Take care, John
  • salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2008
    Brody wrote:
    Thanks everyone,

I appreciate all the comments - It makes it worth it that I was playing dodge with a train... :D

By The Way... How do I get notified when people make comments on a picture or post of mine?? Does anyone know? I had know idean that there were comments on this image. I saw one I think, but none of the others... Didn't know they were here til I stubled back across the post.

Any advice welcome.

Take care, John

Go to "You!" at the top left of any page. This takes you to your "User Control Panel"

Under the "Settings & Options" menu on the left click on "Edit Options"

In the "Messaging & Notification" section (second one down) select a "Default Subscription Mode" I'm using "Instant Email Notification" Make sure Dgrin has an email address for you that works, and that you actually check. Don't worry, you never get spam from Dgrin, or even any emails after one day if you haven't revisited the site while logged in.

"When you post a new thread, or reply to a topic, you can choose to automatically add that thread to your list of subscribed threads, with the option to receive email notification of new replies to that thread."

Hope this helps.
    Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.
    edited September 13, 2008
    For people writing me about the train image, yes, it's the same train... Please see update note at the beginning of the thread.... Thank you.
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2008
    Nice shot, yeah that train wreck is very tragic.