3 flys

jpljpl Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
edited July 31, 2008 in Holy Macro
Here are some fly shots I took recently. It was kinda funny because the flys "jumped" every time the flash went off.
342140565_VGeRw-L.jpg

342143310_ua9jS-L.jpg

342145948_CSTz8-L.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2008
    jpl wrote:
    Here are some fly shots I took recently. It was kinda funny because the flys "jumped" every time the flash went off.

Thanks for looking.

You'd think it would have just flown away when the flash startled it the first time hu?

I think the first fly is either a Texan Long-legged fly,
    or a Condylostylid Long-legged Fly...... they look similar in my book.

The second fly looks like a Green Bottle Fly.
    Your DOF is extreme thin on these, what settings where you using?

Thanks for sharing jpl thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • jpljpl Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2008
    1/125
    f/16
    flash
    Nikor 105mm AF Micro
    focused to 1:1

I'm shooting with a Nikon D40. I inherited this lens many years ago but I just recently got the D40 and thus the chance to use this lens. The DOF with this lens is very tricky. I haven't really figure it out yet. Before coming to Dgin and reading some macro tips, I shot with smaller apertures and got some razor thin DOF shots. Shooting at f/16 gives me much better results. Honestly though I'm not 100% sure I can trust that f number. My D40 lets me set up to f/64 with this lens where as the markings on the lens say f/32 is the smallest possible.

The first fly was about 1/4 to 1/3 the size of the last fly. It were small. I'm going to say it was a Texas Long-legged fly because I live in Texas. Very scientic huh? The last fly was "normal" house fly size.

It was kinda funny that they didn't fly away. They would stay pretty still without the flash but any time the flash went off the jumped for lack of a better word. They moved so quickly I couldn't really see what they were doing but by the time my viewfinder wasn't blacked out they would be facing a different direction.
  • teamracephotosteamracephotos Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2008
    Great series
    I like the third one great color! Those little buggers are fast aren’t they? MM
    “I love not man the less, but Nature more.”
    — Lord Byron