Options

Adirondack Infrared

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited December 20, 2008 in Landscapes
Those who know me know that I'm really in love with Infrared Photography :lust Last weekend I had the opportunity to shoot again at a favorite spot, this time with a new, to me, infrared camera.

This is an 8-shot stitched pano, shot handheld, @28mm FL, portrait orientation, with an IR Modded Canon Powershot SD 800. In post: I matched the exposures and WB in Adobe Camera RAW, then stitched in Photshop CS3. In Photoshop, curves adjustment, sharpening, and done. This is a 20 megapixel file, 2:1 aspect ratio.

342192111_dsYBa-XL.jpg
(click for larger)

For me, I love how IR makes leaves white and water black :smo I have used a lot of IR cameras, from un-modded Sony F717, to a modded Sony 828, to modded Canon Rebel, Canon 20D and Canon 5D. I'm really liking the form factor and the image quality of this little Canon P&S :clap :clap

Like your infrared? Join us at the League of Creative Infrared Photographers! :D

Enjoy (winter in summer!) photography,

Comments

• Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    That right there.....

IS A PIECE OF ART MY FRIEND! Simply incredible! wings.gif
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    Thanks for posting, i am crazy for your stuff love to see it.

Great picture
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Those who know me know that I'm really in love with Infrared Photography iloveyou.gif Last weekend I had the opportunity to shoot again at a favorite spot, this time with a new, to me, infrared camera.

This is an 8-shot stitched pano, shot handheld, portrait orientation, with an IR Modded Canon Powershot SD 800. In post: I matched the exposures and WB in Adobe Camera RAW, then stitched in Photshop CS3. In Photoshop, curves adjustment, sharpening, and done. This is a 20 megapixel file, 2:1 aspect ratio.

For me, I love how IR makes leaves white and water black :smo I have used a lot of IR cameras, from un-modded Sony F717, to a modded Sony 828, to modded Canon Rebel, Canon 20D and Canon 5D. I'm really liking the form factor and the image quality of this little Canon P&S clap.gifclap.gif

Like your infrared? Join us at the League of Creative Infrared Photographers! :D

Enjoy (winter in summer!) photography,

WOW!!! That's just simply AMAZING, Andy!!! bowdown.gif

Mind sharing where you captured that? Or is it your favorite spot because it's a secret?! rolleyes1.gif

GREAT WORK!!!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2008
    CWSkopec wrote:
    Mind sharing where you captured that? Or is it your favorite spot because it's a secret?! rolleyes1.gif

GREAT WORK!!!

Thanks :D It's not secret, though it is private - it's on a 100,000 acre private preserve. Here. It's pic #12 on the map.
  • Options
    VersusNYCVersusNYC Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    Wow. very impressive. I love how sharp the image is. I seen a lot of IR shots that have a lot of muddiness and noise all over.

I think that's one of the the nicest IR shots i seen.
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2008
    I love it thumb.gif

I to am in IR fan and was thinking of modifying my Rebel, but I may have to rethink this. Never thought of a point and shoot headscratch.gif

Did you modify if yourself or send it in?
  • Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Thanks :D It's not secret, though it is private - it's on a 100,000 acre private preserve. Here. It's pic #12 on the map.

Nuts!!! rolleyes1.gif

My parents live up in the Adirondacks full time these days... I'll just have to find my own spot next time I visit!! :D
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2008
    I like it alot! I need to get my SD550 back up and running so I can mod it! Very nice pano! Are you going to hang it?
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2008
    Pretty! Shiny! I need to get one of those IR thingymabobbers at some point. Even if it's a double-holster of P&S goodness. lol3.gif

thumb.gif
  • Options
    photosbyDanphotosbyDan Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2008
    andy this is just awesome dude!
    "Character, like a photograph, develops in darkness."-Yousuf Karsh

www.danielchappellphotography.com

• Options
    edited August 1, 2008
    Idlewild wrote:
    That right there.....

IS A PIECE OF ART MY FRIEND! Simply incredible! wings.gif
    :) Thanks Idle, I do love shooting IR, and this one was fun
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2008
    I also love IR photography. This is a very cool shot. There a lot for me to learn from studying this photograpy. thumb.gifbow
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2008
    I also love IR photography. This is a very cool shot. There a lot for me to learn from studying this photograpy. thumb.gifbow

You took some awesome IR landscapes yourself! Have you done this with portraits too or have I just missed them? ear.gif
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    You took some awesome IR landscapes yourself! Have you done this with portraits too or have I just missed them? ear.gif
    Thank you. I kinda like them, but that's no assurance that they are decent.

And, no portraits yet. Don't know yet, but I might do somethig this weekend though.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2008
    Andy, that's bitchin', esp. considering it came from tiny p&s..thumb.gifclap.gif
    Few questions...
    Is it also Maxmax mod? Is it less expensive to mod p&s vs dslr, or same ballpark?
    And since many p&s don't accept external filters, does it mean it's IR-only?
    TIA! iloveyou.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Few questions...
    Is it also Maxmax mod? Is it less expensive to mod p&s vs dslr, or same ballpark?
    And since many p&s don't accept external filters, does it mean it's IR-only?
    TIA! iloveyou.gif

No (lifepixel.com)
    Same ballpark (about $400)
    IR-Only.

Thanks Nik :D
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2008
    Thanks for posting, i am crazy for your stuff love to see it.

Great picture
    Thanks Awais :D
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    Really nice Andy....Really nice......Have you shot an IR wedding yet......when I make the jump away from my KM 7D's I will get a 3rd body to be IR'ed, but the thang is I want all 3 to be the same model.....crazy I know 3 Nikon D300 or D700 or D3's oooooooh Yeaaaaah.

Did I say really nice photos Andythumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbow
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    CavalierPhotoCavalierPhoto Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    Well Done!
    thumb.gif

And thanks for the link to the League of Creative Infrared Photographers.
  • Options
    PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    I'm interested in getting a converted 1DsMarkIII IR camera Andy. Any volunteers around there in getting me one? :D

Love that shot. Fall colors are just around the corner and IR goodness is screaming to be shot!
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • Options
    coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    Very very cool, great subject for IR. $400 you say? Hmm...
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2008
    Pezpix wrote:
    I'm interested in getting a converted 1DsMarkIII IR camera Andy. Any volunteers around there in getting me one? :D

Love that shot. Fall colors are just around the corner and IR goodness is screaming to be shot!
    Yknow, if you are stopping by, and saying nice things, all well and good but where is my @#%#%ing cookie???????
  • Options
    dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    Fantastic IR, Andy, as always. And thanks for the link to IRLeague. Looks interesting. thumb.gif
  • Options
    jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    That's an awesome IR shot Andy! thumb.gif It really highlights everything that makes IR so fun to shoot. I just manually converted my old 10D myself, and have started using it for IR. It's pretty funy to have full control over everything, vs being limited with my old F707.

James
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2008
    Hi folks, thanks all for the comments. I'm really excited to have now a pocket IR camera that shoots raw :D

http://blog.moonriverphotography.com/2008/08/28mm-and-raw-in-my-pocket-chdk-love.html
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    ...Like your infrared? Join us at the League of Creative Infrared Photographers! :D Enjoy (winter in summer!) photography,
    I'm bumping this thread for all those IR-loving dgrinners, especially Craig (Panther), April (aktse), Scott Quier, and Stephanie (Schmoo), to join the IR league since membership is FREE till the end of this year (only 11 more days).

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips