ch-37 - RocketMan

RocketManRocketMan Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
edited April 22, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
Looking at Patterns and Repetitions

When I first saw the subject for this challenge I thought, wow this should be easy as there are patterns everywhere. As I started looking around I realized you can break it down to two basic types of patterns, one’s made by man and one’s found in nature. Man made patterns are all around us, in the pattern of windows in a building or the pattern of bricks in a sidewalk or even the pattern of cracks in one made of concert. There are patterns of products on store shelves, or the weave of cloth or the pattern of the print or almost any man made good. Problem as I saw it with those is that they are all “contrived”, as in man-made, not that that’s bad, mind you, but that just seemed too easy. So then I started looking at patterns found in nature. Again, they are all around us, from the cosmic as in the pattern of galaxies or stars within those galaxies to the arrangement of planets around those stars, right down to the microscopic patterns of cells or even atoms or the very basic building blocks of literally everything that exists, such as gluons, quarks or “strings” (the absolutely infinitesimal, most basic “particle” according to modern physics). Closer to home there are patterns in the land masses and oceans of our home world, or the pattern of the coastlines or forested or dessert areas of those landmasses, not that I could get high enough to take a picture of them. Coming down even closer there are patterns in a forest of trees, the branches of trees, even the arrangement of leaves or within each leaf itself. Again, plenty of subject matter, right? Well, perhaps not, because as I see this challenge it’s the pattern itself that counts not the thing containing the pattern, and therein comes the rub. How do I capture the pattern or repetition such that it is uppermost, i.e. when viewing the photograph I want the viewer to see the pattern FIRST, then maybe step back and see the object containing the pattern or maybe even not being aware of the object at all, but rather JUST the pattern. Don’t know if this makes any sense or not, and as yet haven’t found a way of doing that and when I told my SO my thoughts she simply stated “ well you’ve really cut yourself quite a task!”

So while I haven’t found that shot yet I did find some nice patterns and here’s one that I took the other night, the pattern of clouds around the moon at 3 quarters full.

So whatcha all think, am I completely off my rocker and would you say that this first entry qualifies as a “pattern” even though it’s a “random” pattern of clouds around the moon, or is this challenge more about patterns that repeat i.e. does the photo have to contain a repeating pattern or can it just be a pattern OR a repetition?

(sorry if this is a bid long-winded)

moon-clouds.jpg
or how about the pattern of lines and marks on the face of the moon itself?

moon-1.jpg
RM
http://roadrunes.com
"It's better to bite the hand that feeds you, than to feed the hand that bites you" - Me :D