Upgrading from Sony H-9

Cmount522Cmount522 Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited August 1, 2008 in Cameras
Hi grinners, I have been thinking of upgrading into the DSLR world for some time now. My Sony H-9 is a great little camera that does a lot for such a small package. But I do find myself wanting a larger aperture and the ability to keep the shutter open for an extended amount of time.

I mostly use my camera for traveling, photojournalism, night life and the occasional macro shot.

I will be a senior in high school. I write and supplying photos for the school newspaper as well as taking advanced photography class. I know a few students who use the Canon XTi and I do very much like the camera, but just today I got to play around on the Nikon D40 and it felt comfortable. But with the downside of no internal focus motor drive.

So I guess the question is for a first time buyer with no brand loyalty.
Should I just go with the camera that fits and feels the best in my hands?

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited July 31, 2008
    Cmount522 wrote:
    ... I do find myself wanting a larger aperture and the ability to keep the shutter open for an extended amount of time.

I mostly use my camera for traveling, photojournalism, night life and the occasional macro shot.

I will be a senior in high school. I write and supplying photos for the school newspaper as well as taking advanced photography class. I know a few students who use the Canon XTi and I do very much like the camera, but just today I got to play around on the Nikon D40 and it felt comfortable. But with the downside of no internal focus motor drive.

Should I just go with the camera that fits and feels the best in my hands?

Cmount, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

I'm glad to see you have researched and actually tried the cameras. That's a great start.

I have Canon and my father has Nikon. While I do find the controls and user interface of the Nikon nicer than the average Canon, I learned to appreciate the Canon cameras for what they were and the controls and user interface did not take long to get used to.

I have Canon cameras from the XT/350D and the 40D through the 1D MKII. The XT really is quick to use and I have used it professionally.

If you plan to use any of the Nikon lenses that have the screw drive on the Nikon D40, they will mount fine and I think you will get manual focus confirmation, just not the convenience of autofocus. I think the D50 and D80 both have the screw drive. While the D50 would probably only be available used, I think you can still find the D80 new.

The comment about "night life" photography might indicate high-ISO and the Canon entry level cameras do pretty well in that category. If you can use flash, either camera would qualify but I do recommend a flash with a focus assist light.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Cmount522Cmount522 Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited August 1, 2008
    Thanks for the help.
    I have been leaning towards Canon and for my situation the CMOS sensor maybe what I need. I think my inital reaction towards Nikon was just based on the layout.
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2008
    Cmount522 wrote:
    Thanks for the help.
    I have been leaning towards Canon and for my situation the CMOS sensor maybe what I need. I think my inital reaction towards Nikon was just based on the layout.

The layout is one of the most important things, they all take great pictures, and the features that put one above the other will be copied within a generation or two. The other important thing is your lenses!

I wouldn't choose a camera based on CMOS or CCD especially on the consumer end. Hell, you can look around at the work done around here with D200's. CCD's are great censors especially the 10 megapixel. And even the 6 megapixel D40 (I've had many amazing results with that sensor on the D50).

I would also check out the other brands of SLR cameras. It's a good idea to get into a system, but if you are just buying the kit/standard grade lenses as you get along with your photography. These won't be to so useful. Plus some of the other brands offer much better options as kit lenses. This is especially true if you like to manual focus at all, I can't stand the kit lenses for Canon and Nikon where you're turning that little barrel extension.

And that might need to change my username here, since it seems like I'm becoming an ambassador for Olympus. But if you can go and grab a E520 or E420 (even the 410/510 to just get a feel for them. Since those are easier to find in stores currently) see how it feels. The 420 is a lot smaller than anything else and has the ergonomics of the old-school Nikon FE style camera and doesn't have the protruding grip that most other digital SLR have adopted. The 520 is now much bigger but has that protruding grip, but it also has built-in image stabilization. So that you trade off. I'm not sure about 520 pricing as of now, but the 420 is going for about $530. And it's a great little cameradeal.gif it also will feel a lot more sturdy than the Nikon or Canon options.

There are also Pentax,and Sonyout there, but I don't have any direct experience with them.
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2008
    The layout is one of the most important things, they all take great pictures, and the features that put one above the other will be copied within a generation or two. The other important thing is your lenses!

I wouldn't choose a camera based on CMOS or CCD especially on the consumer end. Hell, you can look around at the work done around here with D200's. CCD's are great censors especially the 10 megapixel. And even the 6 megapixel D40 (I've had many amazing results with that sensor on the D50).

I would also check out the other brands of SLR cameras. It's a good idea to get into a system, but if you are just buying the kit/standard grade lenses as you get along with your photography. These won't be to so useful. Plus some of the other brands offer much better options as kit lenses. This is especially true if you like to manual focus at all, I can't stand the kit lenses for Canon and Nikon where you're turning that little barrel extension.

And that might need to change my username here, since it seems like I'm becoming an ambassador for Olympus. But if you can go and grab a E520 or E420 (even the 410/510 to just get a feel for them. Since those are easier to find in stores currently) see how it feels. The 420 is a lot smaller than anything else and has the ergonomics of the old-school Nikon FE style camera and doesn't have the protruding grip that most other digital SLR have adopted. The 520 is now much bigger but has that protruding grip, but it also has built-in image stabilization. So that you trade off. I'm not sure about 520 pricing as of now, but the 420 is going for about $530. And it's a great little cameradeal.gif it also will feel a lot more sturdy than the Nikon or Canon options.

There are also Pentax,and Sonyout there, but I don't have any direct experience with them.

15524779-Ti.gif
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2008
    Cmount522 wrote:
    There are tons of pros and cons for each brand, but from my perspective it all bolis down to the glass lineup, as in quality, price and availability.
    Bodies, they come (I don't think I ever kept a body longer than two years, but that's me), glass stays...deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"