Options

organization questions

tntctntc Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited July 31, 2008 in SmugMug Support
OK. I'm about to pull the trigger and upload about 4000 pictures. Most of our pics are travel and family events, so I'm thinking about an organization like this:

Travel > 2007, UK > London
Family > 2006 > Xmas at Grandma's
At Home > 2007, Kitchen Remodel > Demolition

Opinions? Other ideas?
What's a reasonable size for a gallery with good user navigation? If a gallery has 100/200/300 photos, should it have been a subcategory?

I see you can move photos to other galleries, rename galleries and move galleries. Can you rename subcategories and categories? Move subcategories?

Most of our photos are dumped in directories with names like "2007_06_07". Could I just upload into galleries with names like that and sort things out later? Or is it a lot easier to sort things out locally before uploading?

We'll be using smugmug for backup as well as display/sharing. So we want to upload every picture, even the bad ones. Do you suggest the "hide photo" checkbox, or "bad galleries"?

Thanks a lot! :clap
tntc

Comments

• Options
    TexasFamilyTexasFamily Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2008
    my $0.02

i do my backups on SM like this...

cat > sub cat > gallery
    year > month > date

hopefully i will not forget when holidays/birthdays/etc are during the year
    but if you just put them in a birthday category...you might not know which one

look up digital asset management on the web...
    storage/organization options tips

you should also look up Star Explorer thread/software for uploading that many pics to SM

Edward