DSC04681copy.jpg

DSC04686copy.jpg

DSC04692copy.jpg

Blessings,
LadyTX

Comments

• evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2008
    Love these shots. Very colorful. 1 and 3 are my favorites.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2008
    These ARE great!

Great expressions and lovely light. Do you still use your background outside? Fantastic light if so.
    I am interested in your settings for the last one. Very well exposed!:D
  • crockettcrockett Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2008
    Thanks for posting. What a great and fun set. The colors are very nice and fun to look at. My thoughts....

Overall the skin tones seems a bit cool but I think they look just fine as is.

1. This has very nice lighting and the subject has a genuine expression on her face. She seems comfortable and I believe the picture is an honest capture. My faults with the image are her legs in the background being raised in the air. Having the subject not bend her knees would have improved this image. Other than that the image has a great "pop" effect and does very well at holding my attention on the eyes. Could you provide some detail of the lighting you used in this photo?

2. All the same compliments that I gave #1. My complaints. It appears that you are using a backdrop, which means you are posing this subject. If you have the time to pose the subject, you should be aware of the distracting heel and leg in the background. I would have moved camera right, moved the backdrop and lighting if needed and snapped from there removing her left leg from the photo. I would also try cropping this image from the top and left to eliminate the feather on top of the hat. It pulls my eye out of the frame when I get to it. This would also give the bonus of moving her left eye to a double third in the image. Clone the mole on the bottom of the chin? But this is only a nit pick of couse, and optional. Again, could you discuss lighting. Number of lights? Heights? etc. Thanks.

3. Ooh..ahh. I love how the three flowers are staged in a triangle that pulls my eye in a pattern that continually focuses my attention on the subject. You got the added bonus of the ripples in the sheet providing diagonal lines that push my attention back to the subject as I try to leave. My favorite of the bunch. I might try a shot without the fluffy stuff, but then again why?

4. Vertical maybe?

5. Man your indoor lighting is good. A little hot on the left but on a light background it still works. That cord is a bit a problem but frankly have no idea what I would do to change it. No cord maybe?

6. The loser of the bunch, not working for me. Horizon being off, the harsh shapes of the slats are too far in contrast with the softness of her face and draw all my atttention. I focus on the deck and lose the subject.

7. Fun stuff, all locations should include a trampeline!

A great series, if this was for pay, I don't see how they couldn't be happy with this bunch. If it was favor just for a friend or family, it was a hell of a favor. Great job!
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2008
    WONDERFUL SHOTS!!!!!!!thumb.gifthumb.gif
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    Love these shots. Very colorful. 1 and 3 are my favorites.

Thank you for taking the time to look and comment. Thanks for the kind encouragement. I also like 1 and 3.
    LadyTX
    edited August 2, 2008
    These ARE great!

Great expressions and lovely light. Do you still use your background outside? Fantastic light if so.
    I am interested in your settings for the last one. Very well exposed!:D

Thanks for the kind words heatherfeather. Yep, that's out on the porch again.

Here are the settings for the last picture. I had my flash off camera under her.

f/9, 1/250, ISO 200, Shutter priority, Exposure Comp +2
    LadyTX
    edited August 2, 2008
    Thanks for posting. What a great and fun set. The colors are very nice and fun to look at. My thoughts....

Gee Crockett, thanks so much for taking the time to do this review. Truly appreciated. It seems to be difficult sometimes around here to get people to take the time to review or at least comment.

My three granddaughters were over that day and they decided they wanted a "photo shoot" so they got in the closet of "goodies" and we set out to play. They were in charge of props and posing. Mimi (that's what they call me) just did the clicking.
    Overall the skin tones seems a bit cool but I think they look just fine as is.

I tend to lean that direction in skin tones rather than on the warm side. Seems they always look to red or yellow to me so I end up with them looking blue ... lol.
    1. This has very nice lighting and the subject has a genuine expression on her face. She seems comfortable and I believe the picture is an honest capture. My faults with the image are her legs in the background being raised in the air. Having the subject not bend her knees would have improved this image. Other than that the image has a great "pop" effect and does very well at holding my attention on the eyes. Could you provide some detail of the lighting you used in this photo?

I agree about the legs. I have to learn to stop myself when photographing and look at the whole scene. I find myself focusing on the face and eyes and not taking in the whole picture. Things I don't see in the viewfinder at the time show up when the photos get to my monitor.

These were taken on my front porch. I take the background out there. It is on the west side of the house and lends itself well for shaded natural light until late in the afternoon. I do a lot of photos out there. Hey maybe I should call myself "Grannys Front Porch Photography" ... lol.

Here is a photo of the place and light provided.
    (ignore rusted out milk can ... lol)

DSC03841LRcopy.jpg

2. All the same compliments that I gave #1. My complaints. It appears that you are using a backdrop, which means you are posing this subject. If you have the time to pose the subject, you should be aware of the distracting heel and leg in the background. I would have moved camera right, moved the backdrop and lighting if needed and snapped from there removing her left leg from the photo. I would also try cropping this image from the top and left to eliminate the feather on top of the hat. It pulls my eye out of the frame when I get to it. This would also give the bonus of moving her left eye to a double third in the image. Clone the mole on the bottom of the chin? But this is only a nit pick of couse, and optional. Again, could you discuss lighting. Number of lights? Heights? etc. Thanks.

I see what you are saying on the leg issue. She wouldn't look "chopped up" without it? I could crop out or clone out the feather thing on the hat. I also have trouble with the "thirds" thing when I am focusing on the eyes. The only way I know who to do this is focus on the eyes and hold the shutter release half way down and recompose or focus on the eyes and set the camera to manual focus to hold it and then recompose. Is this the proper way or is there another way. I get lazy and just focus on the eyes and shoot. Then everything is centered.

Can't clone the mole. That's just a part of Shelby. Besides I have soooo many pictures of her I would be cloning all the time ... lol.

Same lighting ... natural light. Sometimes with a diffuser on camera right or a fill flash. Since I got the Pocket Wizards I have been playing with those. I had the Radio Poppers at the time of this shooting but they didn't prove too reliable.

3. Ooh..ahh. I love how the three flowers are staged in a triangle that pulls my eye in a pattern that continually focuses my attention on the subject. You got the added bonus of the ripples in the sheet providing diagonal lines that push my attention back to the subject as I try to leave. My favorite of the bunch. I might try a shot without the fluffy stuff, but then again why?

WOW ... thanks a lot. You make it sound so eloquent! A happy accident. But when you say it that way it helps to open my eyes on how to look and actually "see" a scene and hopefully "see" how it will look "out of camera".
    4. Vertical maybe?

You might be right.
    5. Man your indoor lighting is good. A little hot on the left but on a light background it still works. That cord is a bit a problem but frankly have no idea what I would do to change it. No cord maybe?

Ya gotta have a cord with an iPod. If the cord was shorter though and the entire thing was showing I think it would be much better.
    6. The loser of the bunch, not working for me. Horizon being off, the harsh shapes of the slats are too far in contrast with the softness of her face and draw all my atttention. I focus on the deck and lose the subject.

Aw shoot, I like that one. Not the slats, they're not so great. I think it is her expression and eyes that I like in this one. She climbed all the way up on the arbor system for that one too ... lol.
    7. Fun stuff, all locations should include a trampeline!

No trampeline. She jumped off the fence. I layed down under her and put the flash off camera under her praying she didn't land on me.

A great series, if this was for pay, I don't see how they couldn't be happy with this bunch. If it was favor just for a friend or family, it was a hell of a favor. Great job!

Thank you again for the encouragement and taking the time to review and help me to learn and see things differently. Not for pay, just for the love of granddaughters. I will be posting the "shoots" of the other two later.

Blessings,
    LadyTX
    edited August 2, 2008
    RBrogen wrote:
    WONDERFUL SHOTS!!!!!!!thumb.gifthumb.gif

Thank you very much RBrogen.
    LadyTX