New Wasps' Nest

HercHerc Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
edited August 3, 2008 in Holy Macro
Found a new nest in the garden last night. It's being worked on quite a bit so I plan to go back and take more shots over the next few days.

New to macro and still trying to get things figured out so any C & C is appreciated.

Thought the colours were cool and really liked the alien look of these menacing little creatures.

Cheers, Shayne

342891504_T6xbu-XL.jpg

342895806_DPT5R-XL.jpg

342893679_B67cV-XL.jpg

Comments

• Blaze Z BlazeBlaze Z Blaze Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2008
    That is one badass lookin little dude there. Great pictures, and I like the boarder with them it sets them off nicely. thumb.gif
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2008
    Love the images. How do you get that close and not wet your pants with fear? Wasps are so mean and scary eek7.gif

The shots are great, as I said but you should really lose the borders - very distractiong and takes away from the images IMHO ne_nau.gif

I would love to get some photos like this of wasps, but I'm too afraid (got attaced and stung 15 times within a fraction of a second, somehow, when i was a kid)
    ~ Lisa
  • HercHerc Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2008
    Without any framing....

342866723_GUkkk-XL.jpg

342870066_QXNDX-XL.jpg

342868337_cFY9x-XL.jpg

Thanks for the comments.

They didn't seem to be too bothered by my presence at all. They were too busy working on their nest and I was very careful not to disturb them.

Shayne
  • WilliamClark77WilliamClark77 Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2008
    Very nice colors and I like the post processing, especially on the yellows. I have trouble with flourescent yellows coming out over saturated with little detail thumb.gif

Not that I could do any better and it's more personal taste, but my only critique would be maybe use a slightly narrower aperture for more dof if at all possible.
    edited August 1, 2008
    I thought the borders looked great and set them off nicely until seeing them without. I like the second set better. :ivar

[edit] Had to fix a typo
    edited August 1, 2008
    Very nice colors and I like the post processing, especially on the yellows. I have trouble with flourescent yellows coming out over saturated with little detail thumb.gif

Not that I could do any better and it's more personal taste, but my only critique would be maybe use a slightly narrower aperture for more dof if at all possible.

I shot these RAW only and PPd in ACR. Added about +4 Saturation, a little contrast, and 85% Sharpening. These were shot at f/18 so I could narrow it a bit. I was using a flash as well but I'm not sure how much flash was actually getting to the subjects because of tree branches.

I'll go back and shoot some more tonight and see how much they've progressed. I shot these with my XTi as the batteries were dead on my 5D. Tonight I'll try with the 5D and see what the difference is.

Cheers, Shayne

PS: I kind of liked the framing but maybe I can make them smaller. I'll play around on the next set.
    edited August 1, 2008
    Herc wrote:
    I shot these RAW only and PPd in ACR. Added about +4 Saturation, a little contrast, and 85% Sharpening. These were shot at f/18 so I could narrow it a bit. I was using a flash as well but I'm not sure how much flash was actually getting to the subjects because of tree branches.

I'll go back and shoot some more tonight and see how much they've progressed. I shot these with my XTi as the batteries were dead on my 5D. Tonight I'll try with the 5D and see what the difference is.

Cheers, Shayne

PS: I kind of liked the framing but maybe I can make them smaller. I'll play around on the next set.

Looking back at them posted larger I retract my statement about a narrower ap. The dof is great for my taste. It's funny how the more mag/smaller the subject the better they look the larger they're viewed.

Goodluck on getting more shots! I look forward to seeing them. We have similiar paper wasps here but they become too protective of their nests from early August to late September to photo.
    edited August 1, 2008
    Great! I love the shots without the borders because its easier for my eyes to study the image and not get distracted by the yellow border. Now if it was framed and matted like you presented the borders, it would look great - not not on the web (my opinion again).

Just love looking at these aliens.thumb.gif
    ~ Lisa
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited August 1, 2008
    Great shots, good compositions.thumb.gif
    i think using small apperture f18 has compromised sharpness, they dont appear to have a good sharp focus point.
    try shooting f8-f11 and see the difference.
    phil
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/goldenorfe/
    edited August 1, 2008
    GOLDENORFE wrote:
    Great shots, good compositions.thumb.gif
    i think using small apperture f18 has compromised sharpness, they dont appear to have a good sharp focus point.
    try shooting f8-f11 and see the difference.
    phil
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/goldenorfe/

Thanks Phil, I'll give that a try too. I'll also use the tripod next time. I thought any wider at 1/60 would start to push it while hand holding. Tonight I plan on setting up a stool, tripod and maybe a light. :D Hope I can do it without getting stung.

Shayne
    edited August 1, 2008
    Herc wrote:
    Thanks Phil, I'll give that a try too. I'll also use the tripod next time. I thought any wider at 1/60 would start to push it while hand holding. Tonight I plan on setting up a stool, tripod and maybe a light. :D Hope I can do it without getting stung.

Shayne

I'm going to have nightmares about this :uhoh

Looking forward to seeing the photos though.
    ~ Lisa
    edited August 1, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    I'm going to have nightmares about this :uhoh

Looking forward to seeing the photos though.

Ah, don't you worry Miss. I'm a trained professional...rolleyes1.gif
    edited August 1, 2008
    Herc wrote:
    Ah, don't you worry Miss. I'm a trained professional...rolleyes1.gif

I'm not worried....

:hide
    ~ Lisa
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2008
    Herc wrote:
    Found a new nest in the garden last night. It's being worked on quite a bit so I plan to go back and take more shots over the next few days.

New to macro and still trying to get things figured out so any C & C is appreciated.

Thought the colours were cool and really liked the alien look of these menacing little creatures.

Cheers, Shayne

Hi Shayne, welcome to the forum clap.gif
    I'm agreeing with Phil's comment to you about using a different F Stop.
    Give it a go and compare your results.

Wasps have great faces, I love the way their jaws come across.
    They pack a pretty powerful sting when they get you too!

Looking good Shayne thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited August 1, 2008
    Tried again tonight using f/9, f/11, and f/16 all with flash and ISO 400. I like the results. This was with my 5D tonight and a tripod.

Thanks for the tips and the welcome.

Cheers, Shayne

343403183_GynEo-XL.jpg

343404169_EVo4d-XL.jpg

343406017_epYdB-XL.jpg

343422945_PcTSU-XL.jpg
    edited August 2, 2008
    Herc wrote:
    I like the results.

Me too! thumb.gif
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2008
    Lovely shots- esp like the first one of the 2nd series.
    Brian v.
    edited August 2, 2008
    Lovely shots- esp like the first one of the 2nd series.
    Brian v.

Thanks. I forgot to clone out the antenna in the lower right before I posted. I'll have to fix that up.

Shayne
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2008
    Herc wrote:
    Tried again tonight using f/9, f/11, and f/16 all with flash and ISO 400. I like the results. This was with my 5D tonight and a tripod.

Thanks for the tips and the welcome.

Cheers, Shayne

Nicely done. thumb.gif
    .....now all you need to do is clean your sensor.
    You have some pretty large dust spots on your images ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited August 3, 2008
    Skippy wrote:
    Nicely done. thumb.gif
    .....now all you need to do is clean your sensor.
    You have some pretty large dust spots on your images ... Skippy :D

Thanks for pointing the dust spots out. I noticed that too. I should have taken care to clone all that stuff out.

Cheers, Shayne