2.5 Primary/Pastel - 1st Challenge - Am I worthy?

OhEddieOhEddie Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
edited August 6, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
I have been watching the challenges for some time now, and the photos are so good it is somewhat intimidating.

Well I've decided that I'm going to make an effort to be a regular contestant, and thought I would start with the current Primary/Pastel challenge.

This past week, while working in a small town in south Georgia, I saw the local movie theater downtown and thought this would be a good Primary colors subject for the challenge. I took about 20 shots and have been trying to choose between these three...

(1)

342868537_FdL4j-L.jpg

(2)

342885991_yW5zk-L.jpg

(3)

343379990_t9Q54-L.jpg

Are any of these worthy of posting in the challenge?
Blessed are those who remain flexible, for they shall not get bent out of shape.

Comments

• pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2008
    I love number 1. It's awesome. I like everything about it. Good Luck.
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • tamplumtamplum Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2008
    number #1. maybe work with it a little more, sharpen it up and bring out the colors. It is good, just needs a little nudge to make it pop, imo.
    **Taking the moments one shot at a time**
    ~Working with my Nikon D80~
    <My dream is to be the kind of mother, my kids already think I am>
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2008
    #1 thumb.gif
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2008
    I like both #1 and #2.

As the others said, it can use a little sharpening to make the bright colos crisp against the dark background.

What I like about #2 is the angle at which you shot it. It makes for an engaging composition. The street is a little dark, though, so you'd want to consider playing with curves, levels, or contrast to bring some of the detail out.
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2008
    While I do like #1, #2 is the one that jumped out and grabbed me. I like the angle and perspective of it. It seems much more dynamic to me. Where as the sidewalk in the distance might be to dark as is be careful to not over do it when lightening it, you might end up taking away from the box office. The one comment against it IMHO, the streetlight seems to be too bright and distracting from the subject area. Cropping would be the easy way out but then you would probably lose too much of the sidewalk for balance. If it was my photo I would try darking the light or even cloning out the whole pole all together. Good luck! Can't wait to see what you end up with.

— Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2008
    #1 is good. I don't know if it's good enough to get in the top ten on the current challenge. Who knows? I'm still trying to figure it all out. There's some artistic eyes in this group.

Did you take this with a tripod? I'm not sure I can tell from the sharpness. You might think about going back with a tripod and getting a sharper image. But it may just be the size of the image you've posted and the processing you did to it.

Good work!
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • OhEddieOhEddie Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2008
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    #1 is good. I don't know if it's good enough to get in the top ten on the current challenge. Who knows? I'm still trying to figure it all out. There's some artistic eyes in this group.

Did you take this with a tripod? I'm not sure I can tell from the sharpness. You might think about going back with a tripod and getting a sharper image. But it may just be the size of the image you've posted and the processing you did to it.

Good work!
    Jeff, No, I didn't have the tripod with me :cry And it is a 300 mile drive back down there from here at home in North Georgia. I was just down there a few days this week because of my job. I may have to go back, but I don't think it will be before the current challenge ends.

I went down there every night hoping to get a shot without cars parked out front. But no such luck.

In a perfect world I would have got a shot showing the street, someone in the ticket booth, a few people in line, the theater lights, and that wonderful purple sky that occurs just after sundown.iloveyou.gif

Here is another one showing the old cobblestone street out front.

343753506_ZKbsp-XL.jpg
    Blessed are those who remain flexible, for they shall not get bent out of shape.
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited August 2, 2008
    #2 works the best of the three....I like #1 too but as said...its got to pop and be exciting. I think you accomplished that more with 2 but I also agree the lightpole needs to go and maybe just a tad lightning of the levels for the walk...but not too much. Also maybe a sharpening filter would perk up it some.thumb.gif
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2008
    OhEddie wrote:
    Jeff, No, I didn't have the tripod with me :cry And it is a 300 mile drive back down there from here at home in North Georgia. I was just down there a few days this week because of my job. I may have to go back, but I don't think it will be before the current challenge ends.

Oops. Sorry. I didn't know it was so far away. A little post-processing magic can probably slicken it up a bit. They are definitely worth the effort.
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    #2 with a slightly tighter crop would be good. drop out the sidewalk distractions a bit.
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.