fresh, freckle-faced beauty (part one)

urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
edited August 4, 2008 in People
Thanks to everyone for their honest, constructive (or at least philosophically intriguing :D) critiques on my last engagement set. I had a much better session this morning....my backgrounds aren't as impressive this round but hope my technique is more solid, and most importantly, hopefully you are seeing the real "me".....and the real Ariel.

343764900_4mSvJ-L-2.jpg

343765152_d7kBR-L-2.jpg

343803083_chP78-L.jpg

343765617_no25Y-L-1.jpg2

343765845_dUdPz-L-1.jpg.

343764224_m2yVs-L-1.jpg

343764541_bKUeG-L-2.jpg

343788167_y6eiq-L-2.jpg

These shot w/ my new 40D, which rocks.....holy cannoli, the colors and IQ are a definite step up from the 20D.

Thanks for looking.
Canon 5D MkI
50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    Thanks to everyone for their honest, constructive (or at least philosophically intriguing :D) critiques on my last engagement set. I had a much better session this morning....my backgrounds aren't as impressive this round but hope my technique is more solid, and most importantly, hopefully you are seeing the real "me".....and the real Ariel.
    Lynne,
    all are sharp, with good shallow DOF and lovely compositions. You definitely got the message accross as your subject being a "down to Earth" girl.

In some of the images you had a blownup parts. It also seems the WB on the first one is a bit off into magenta.

Congrats on the 40D, great body, I love mine! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2008
    I agree with the white balance of #1 being a bit off I think too. But its a nice shot. Perhaps my favorite. I think the are all really nice shots, except for #5. The lack of a smile or expression doesn't send me. I think she looks dead.
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Lynne,
    all are sharp, with good shallow DOF and lovely compositions. You definitely got the message accross as your subject being a "down to Earth" girl.

In some of the images you had a blownup parts. It also seems the WB on the first one is a bit off into magenta.

Congrats on the 40D, great body, I love mine! thumb.gif

Yep, good catch on #1! How's this look?
    343814733_Gg5Bz-M-0.jpg

Yeah, I definitely went high key on some, even included blown bgs somewhat on purpose, just stretching my rule breaker. :D
    Here's 3 SOOC, it looked like it needed a little punch, but maybe it's just fine "real."

343766233_NufU7-M-1.jpg

thanks for looking!!!
    Canon 5D MkI
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2008
    Lynne, these are great, except #5. She looks unnatural and it feels like her head got chopped off, or something. ne_nau.gif

1, 3, 6 and 8 are wonderful! clap.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2008
    Woohoo! Congrats on the 40D! I'm still lovin' mine! :ivar

She's gorgeous.

Adore #1 - the re-do looks good on the color.
    Love her smile in #2.
    #3 is a bit awkward for me, but I think I would prefer the SOOC with a bit of oomph to her eyes and not quite so bright on her chest.
    The muted tones of #6 work really well with that brick background. Her face seems a touch bright (?), but I love the light in her eyes.
    7&8 are stunning!! What is that background?

That's what jumps out at me. Great set!! Which lens(es) did you use?
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited August 2, 2008
    I agree with the white balance of #1 being a bit off I think too. But its a nice shot. Perhaps my favorite. I think the are all really nice shots, except for #5. The lack of a smile or expression doesn't send me. I think she looks dead.

THanks for your comments! Doesn't sound like you're alone in your distaste for #5....I certainly didn't intend for her to look dead, but it is a very "out there" composition and I probably took it too far! The BW probably didn't help either.

Maybe the horizontal shots from this series work better. Hey, we were having fun and I was trying something new!

343903384_epPuQ-L.jpg

343903898_Wfsnq-L.jpg
    Canon 5D MkI
    edited August 2, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    Woohoo! Congrats on the 40D! I'm still lovin' mine! :ivar

She's gorgeous.

Adore #1 - the re-do looks good on the color.
    Love her smile in #2.
    #3 is a bit awkward for me, but I think I would prefer the SOOC with a bit of oomph to her eyes and not quite so bright on her chest.
    The muted tones of #6 work really well with that brick background. Her face seems a touch bright (?), but I love the light in her eyes.
    7&8 are stunning!! What is that background?

That's what jumps out at me. Great set!! Which lens(es) did you use?

Hey Elaine! I can't believe how much I love the gargantuan LCD for reviewing shots compared to my thumbnail sized 20D screen. I had always thought that was such a marketing ploy, but boy does it change the shooting experience.

Also curious if you (or anyone else) uses highlight priority and how it has helped (or not).

I appreciate the feedback on #3! I really like it for some reason, the green of her eyes and the grass, but I agree the bright shirt is distracting. Maybe I'll try a tighter crop of just her face and shoulders.

I did overexpose her skin in #6. Can you believe this girl HATES her freckles? I told her I'd do a few up for her that played them down some, and that was the result.

Background in 7/8 was a privacy fence.

I mostly shot these with the 85mm 1.8 and the 70-200 Sigma. Hey, I only have three lenses! rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for commenting, Elaine!
    Canon 5D MkI
  • CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2008
    Great shots! I especially like #1, #8, and #9. She looks very comfortable and your composition was very nice. Well done.
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2008
    Its great to see creativity. Too often our creativity dies and out photos look lifeless and dull. I think your entire series shows your creative thinking and that you are ready to dig deep to do something new. I love your series in general.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2008
    ...wow!!!
    Lynne,

I am on a hotel pc.....but even uncalibrated this looks like a knockout successful shoot!

1- Her right eye is slightly softer than the left, BUT!!! definately nothing to worry about. I think it is sharp enough, and boy do those eyes POP!!! The color corrected one looks better....but...as I said I am on a hotel lobby pc.

2-Here, I think both eyes are sharp....and I like the angle. The BW conversion looks great on her!!!

3-I like either version of this one...and her eyes....nearly YURI.

4 and 5....I actually think I would like 5 better of the two....but in color...ne_nau.gif I like the comp better in 5

6-Not sure this is the treatment for her. Maybe if I hadn't seen how beautiful she looks in full color. Nothing wrong with the image, I just am not sold on THIS treatment for her.

7-Lovely.....(doh!)thumb.gif

8-Lovely in color too....and your eye treatment is really working here!

9 and 10....I REALLY like!!! This is so close to something that has been in my head.....very "urban outfitters" look to them.....you know from the catalogue....and dang-it....you know I have been on the lookout for an auburn haired/ freckled beauty!!!!.....and you got her first. I am jealous!....but doubt that I could have done one this kind of justice.

I know the feeling you get ....you know it....when you are in the middle of a shoot....and you are peeking at that screen...and something like this....something that you have worked for....something beautiful...is looking back at you. It is a great feeling. (YES!!!:D )

I am glad you got to feel that today!!!
    What a successful shoot Lynne. Be sure to give her watermarked mediums for her myspace and facebook. She will have you swamped!

Great job!!!mwink.gif
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2008
    Nice series all around! Colors, expressions, gentle poses. Dunno what's wrong with the freckles! iloveyou.gif

#1. I love your correction of this shot.

#2. while almost the same as #1, her chin seems noticably larger in this shot.

#3. I prefer the eyes popping in the first post to the SOOC but I see the issue with the dress.

#4. I like this. grass in hair nitpick.

#6 is my favorite. Since I'm following Jeff, I'll add why I like it. I love the way you exposed it. I don't have a problem with her freckles, but I think minimizing them for this treatment and background helped. Her pose on the wall. The matching colors from the brick, to her hair, to her eyes, to the stripes on her jeans.

I like 10 more than 9 because the grass is sticking in her eye in #9.

Enjoy the camera! It's an impressive beast!
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
    edited August 3, 2008
    Its great to see creativity. Too often our creativity dies and out photos look lifeless and dull. I think your entire series shows your creative thinking and that you are ready to dig deep to do something new. I love your series in general.

Thanks for your sweet comment! I definitely was in a rut and needed some fresh perspective. That is the great thing about dgrin, helping each other push through and take some risks.
    Canon 5D MkI
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2008
    Wow. Those are fabulous!!!! Love everything about them!!! iloveyou.gif My favorite got to be #1 (I think the crop on #5 is a bit awkward) Very nicely done!!!! iloveyou.gif
  • jayegirljayegirl Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    Great job. Number 1 is my fav.
    Jaye
  • tanyBUGtanyBUG Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    great shots, i dont have much more to add than what everyone else said. But she is a beautiful model and the freckles just make her look so "girl next door" I think you did a great job of capturing this feel.
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    Maybe the horizontal shots from this series work better. Hey, we were having fun and I was trying something new!

343903384_epPuQ-L.jpg

I really like this shot. The OOF background and colors all make the subject pop out. Great job...
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    Beautiful photos. I love #1.clap.gif
  • ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    Very nice series. I am sure she LOVES them. I like them all but 1, 3, 4, 6, and 7 (love the shot but not liking the hand placement much, sort of looks like a claw to me). You did a wonderful job with finding new angles. Glad to hear you had fun with the shoot and did lots of new playing. Congrats on your new camera.

Blessings,
    LadyTX
    edited August 4, 2008
    CSwinton wrote:
    Great shots! I especially like #1, #8, and #9. She looks very comfortable and your composition was very nice. Well done.

Thanks CSwinton! I'm glad some from that set turned out the way they did. Thanks for your kind comments!
    Canon 5D MkI
    edited August 4, 2008
    responses embedded...
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Lynne,

I am on a hotel pc.....but even uncalibrated this looks like a knockout successful shoot!

1- Her right eye is slightly softer than the left, BUT!!! definately nothing to worry about. I think it is sharp enough, and boy do those eyes POP!!! The color corrected one looks better....but...as I said I am on a hotel lobby pc.

1 seems like a winner....yay!

2-Here, I think both eyes are sharp....and I like the angle. The BW conversion looks great on her!!!

Thanks, I think so too. She's a budding photographer herself and told me she likes "really contrasty black and whites" so I am happy to deliver!

3-I like either version of this one...and her eyes....nearly YURI.

Ohmygosh! what a compliment. I used a white reflector for the first time in a shoot today and it made a huge difference, especially in shots like these. I have had it in my car on plenty of shoots but never really used it. On sunny days shooting in the shade, if you can harness that sunlight it can make a huge difference.

4 and 5....I actually think I would like 5 better of the two....but in color...ne_nau.gif I like the comp better in 5

Well I think you're all alone on that one!!! I love her expression in #5, but clearly the jury's still out on the "dead mannequin head" composition Laughing.gif. The blown grass in background are really distracting in color.

6-Not sure this is the treatment for her. Maybe if I hadn't seen how beautiful she looks in full color. Nothing wrong with the image, I just am not sold on THIS treatment for her.

They look great "straight", just a little boring...so I thought I'd try this. I'm really curious to see how this looks printed.

7-Lovely.....(doh!)thumb.gif

8-Lovely in color too....and your eye treatment is really working here!

no treatment.....this one is SOOC. ST-E2 with 580 Camera right with brollybox.

9 and 10....I REALLY like!!! This is so close to something that has been in my head.....very "urban outfitters" look to them.....you know from the catalogue....and dang-it....you know I have been on the lookout for an auburn haired/ freckled beauty!!!!.....and you got her first. I am jealous!....but doubt that I could have done one this kind of justice.

I don't see their catalogue, but I have always loved their ad creative so I will take that as a compliment! And I think you --the senior photo guru! -- are full of it on that last statement! :bs

I know the feeling you get ....you know it....when you are in the middle of a shoot....and you are peeking at that screen...and something like this....something that you have worked for....something beautiful...is looking back at you. It is a great feeling. (YES!!!:D )

It has been a while but I am still on cloud nine, I could have shot with her all day. It was such a great combination of winning her over to become a collaborator, feeling comfortable enough to take my time and think about lighting without rushing, and throwing out the rulebook (oh, and the new camera didn't hurt). Thanks for feeling the joy with me....your techniques and examples have taught me so much, it's only right! :D

I am glad you got to feel that today!!!
    What a successful shoot Lynne. Be sure to give her watermarked mediums for her myspace and facebook. She will have you swamped!

aye, aye, sir! Thanks again Jeff.

Great job!!!mwink.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    OMG - These are soooooo good!!thumb.gif But, you know I can't leave it at that. I've been looking and leaving and coming back - waiting for inspiration etc to sink in. So here goes!
    1. Love this shot (and I like the re-do even more) – probably my fave of the set. A little channel mixer might help to reduce the very strong presence of the freckles. And, OMG – those eyes.
    2. For the most part, the B&W conversion is nice. I think the hot spot just below her lip makes her chin look just too large. Again, with the eyes!
    3. These are Yuri eyes (finer praise I have not). Not too sure about the composition or the processing – but that’s because I’m still working on my artistic sensibilities:D
    4. This one I like better and I think it’s because of the smile. Not too sure about the grass in front of her being is such sharp focus. Did you blur the background grass in post?
    5. I like the contemplative look here. Composition really works for me as well. The B&W conversion is a little hot for my taste.
    6. I’m liking this, though (again) the processing is a little hot (blown cheek) for my taste – but that’s my failing, not yours.
    7. This is a killer shot – portfolio shot – a real wall-hanger!
    8. Mom’s gotta love this one!
    9. The OOF areas really work here! I love the experimentation – even to the extent of the very bright spots before and behind her. Too much for my taste, but it seems to work.
    10. I like everything about this one except the very centeredness of it. The expression is very contemplative, serene, thoughtful – like one would expect a senior to be when looking forward.
    And, you wonder why I use you for artistic inspiration – you keep extending yourself, both behind the camera and in front of the computer.bowdown.gif
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    Ummmmm....what they said :D . I would love to add something more but i think everyone else has covered it. This is an absolute gorgeous series. bowdown.gif
    edited August 4, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    Nice series all around! Colors, expressions, gentle poses. Dunno what's wrong with the freckles! iloveyou.gif

#1. I love your correction of this shot.

#2. while almost the same as #1, her chin seems noticably larger in this shot.

#3. I prefer the eyes popping in the first post to the SOOC but I see the issue with the dress.

#4. I like this. grass in hair nitpick.

#6 is my favorite. Since I'm following Jeff, I'll add why I like it. I love the way you exposed it. I don't have a problem with her freckles, but I think minimizing them for this treatment and background helped. Her pose on the wall. The matching colors from the brick, to her hair, to her eyes, to the stripes on her jeans.

I like 10 more than 9 because the grass is sticking in her eye in #9.

Enjoy the camera! It's an impressive beast!

Thanks for your comments! Great criticism/nits here. I appreciate the feedback on 6....It's one of my faves too, showing a totally different "look" for her. Very curious to see how the client (and her mom) like this one in general.

Her chin and cheeks definitely get more defined when she smiles. One of the reasons we tried the laying down angles, to try to minimize that for her. I think she has great bone structure but its something she's self-consicous of, so I wanted her to feel beautiful in the photos.

The 40D feels exactly the same in my hand as the 20D but it is definitely a superior camera. I am actually frustrated now that I don't have two 40Ds, because my shots from the 20D (it had the 17-55 on it for the shoot) are not nearly as sharp. I'm also finding that very small crops of photos still have enough pixels to stand alone, which is really cool!

ex:
    344883972_MQmp4-M-2.jpg

12. same photo
    344877001_GKtbg-M-2.jpg
    Canon 5D MkI
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    11/12....

Now thats some sweet light!!!

Nice job balancing the flash here...skin tones are super...pose is nice and relaxed....

You did a very good job with these Lynne.thumb.gif