Yes, More Ants

darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
edited August 4, 2008 in Holy Macro
These were a lot larger than the ants I photographed last time and they were at eye level (kinda), so nobody laughing at me as i'm splayed out on the ground with a camera pointing at the dirt.

Anyhow, I think my techniques are comming along and I'm improving. Still having some problems getting tack sharp images. These were all taken with 50mm f/1.4 @ around f/8 or f/11 (it varries), full set of Kenko tubes, handheld on 40D.

C&C welcome, any tips are appreciated - this is my gear for now and can't upgrade or get a "real" macro lens for a while :cry, so "get a MP-E" as a tip won't help much. :D

Here is the gallery with EXIF and stuff: Macros In Nature

343986468_fJ2dJ-L.jpg

343986218_89Xca-L.jpg

343986120_o5oSq-L.jpg

343985993_FVh9P-L.jpg
~ Lisa

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    These were a lot larger than the ants I photographed last time and they were at eye level (kinda), so nobody laughing at me as i'm splayed out on the ground with a camera pointing at the dirt.

Anyhow, I think my techniques are comming along and I'm improving. Still having some problems getting tack sharp images. These were all taken with 50mm f/1.4 @ around f/8 or f/11 (it varries), full set of Kenko tubes, handheld on 40D.

C&C welcome, any tips are appreciated - this is my gear for now and can't upgrade or get a "real" macro lens for a while :cry, so "get a MP-E" as a tip won't help much. :D

Here is the gallery with EXIF and stuff: Macros In Nature

Hi there darkdragon, if the ants were co-operative you could try stacking the shots, or try feeding them so they stand still longer, by putting droplets of sweet sugary water where they will sit and feed.

And if that don't work.... I'd try for bigger bugs then rolleyes1.gif

You've done pretty well with these, just the focus is off a bit.
    It's not easy to shoot tiny things as much as Phil and Brian and others make it look that way it's not.

I would encourage you to not give up, but keep trying, maybe choose a subject a big bigger than ants till you work your focus technique out?

You did pretty darn good I recon clap.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2008
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi there darkdragon, if the ants were co-operative you could try stacking the shots, or try feeding them so they stand still longer, by putting droplets of sweet sugary water where they will sit and feed.

And if that don't work.... I'd try for bigger bugs then rolleyes1.gif

You've done pretty well with these, just the focus is off a bit.
    It's not easy to shoot tiny things as much as Phil and Brian and others make it look that way it's not.

I would encourage you to not give up, but keep trying, maybe choose a subject a big bigger than ants till you work your focus technique out?

You did pretty darn good I recon clap.gif .... Skippy :D

I think you have done exceptionally well with these shots. I have tried taking shots of ants with the MP-E and 40D but had no success. Skippy is quite right what she says as I am sure I would have packed in if it wasn't for her help and encouragement.
    Regards
    Bob
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited August 3, 2008
    I think you are doing very good without a macro lens.
    shots look good, only focus slightly out as maxine says.
    ants are very difficult, i have not even tried to shoot them YET!

you could buy a reversing ring for couple of pounds,sorry dollars.
    to reverse your 50mm lens onto the extension tubes, giving good increase in magnification.
    phil.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/goldenorfe/
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2008
    Thanks everyone! I'm glas you all like them. I look for other bugs but haven't found anything yet. Not a whole lot of bugs here in the desert (which is something I've always liked, until now). There are spiders and scorpions, ants and bees. So far unlucky with bees - I found some big ones yesterday but couldn't get close enought to photo them with my rig. They chased me away (seriously, came over and chased me off).

I'm not going to give up! I might try the reversal idea, but not with my 1.4, maybe i'll pick up a used 50m 1.8 for that one. :D
    ~ Lisa
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    Look good to me. Image quality with a 50mm and tubes will be just as good as a macro lens- just rather close focus distances. Ants are very tough subjects unless you bait them with honey or something- always on the move.
    Brian V.