Some Portraits

shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
edited August 5, 2008 in People
Hi all,

Here are some portraits I shot today. Thanks for looking.

344107874_eujqh-L.jpg

344106347_9Rxak-L-1.jpg

Cheers,

Comments

• CCROYCCROY Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited August 3, 2008
    The first one is very good Nikhil and the model is also pretty
    CCROY
    They are both nice. I wish the background light in #2 was more behind her head. It's drawing my eyes away from her instead.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    They are both nice. I wish the background light in #2 was more behind her head. It's drawing my eyes away from her instead.

Yeah I agree. I was using a flash for the backlight in the second one and was having a tough time positioning the light. I chalk up these faux pas to my first time using flashes for such photography. Hopefully I will be able to rectify it the next time round. I also did not have a proper reflector and hope to get one for the next shoot.

Cheers,
    edited August 4, 2008
    CCROY wrote:
    The first one is very good Nikhil and the model is also pretty

I agree that the model is pretty...:D

Flash photography is a lot of fun and I am having a blast learning it.
  • tanyBUGtanyBUG Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    i think you chose great background colours to compliment the models!
  • ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    Very nice job on both portraits. Loving the colors of the background, especially #1.

Blessings,
    LadyTX
    edited August 5, 2008
    ladytx wrote:
    Very nice job on both portraits. Loving the colors of the background, especially #1.

Blessings,

Thanks for the feedback guys. I liked the earth tones of the first picture too.

Cheers,
  • CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    I am definitely on the other posters' side with loving the perfect bg colours... The lighting looks really nice in #1 from here.. Number two (aside from the bg light, already mentioned), I find it just a shade too dark on her left side.
    The one thing, I'm not too thrilled with is the posing..

#1- Too up and down, if that makes sense? I'd also like to see her chin over a touch more, just to get more of the modified-type facial view, and it might change the look of her expression from hesitant to thoughtful.

#2- The way her fist looks like its punching her chin is what I'm not liking, just a slight turn of her wrist, to see the curves of her hand and fingers, I think would make it work. Her eyes are very warm and friendly. Definitely captured a nice expression.
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
    edited August 5, 2008
    I#1- Too up and down, if that makes sense? I'd also like to see her chin over a touch more, just to get more of the modified-type facial view, and it might change the look of her expression from hesitant to thoughtful.

#2- The way her fist looks like its punching her chin is what I'm not liking, just a slight turn of her wrist, to see the curves of her hand and fingers, I think would make it work. Her eyes are very warm and friendly. Definitely captured a nice expression.

I totally hear you. This was my first time with portraits and flash photography and I don't know who was more nervous and awkward- the models or I...:D

I like your suggestions and will try them out the next time I shoot them. I have tried to do some research into poses to get an idea of what looks natural.

Regarding the lack of light in the second photo, the reflector was too small. I am going to use a larger one in the future and see how that works out.

How does this one look to you as far as posing is concerned? I think she is a little bit more relaxed in this one...

344106600_897RF-L-1.jpg

Thanks for your constructive feedback.

Cheers,