Options

Unable to put images on a gallery

FIGHT ONFIGHT ON Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
edited August 7, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Hi. I never had a problem putting pics on my galleries but now I do.
I have a Nikon D-70 and it would not power up so I had it repaired last thursday. (maybe the repair guy who cleaned it altered somthing) I took pictures on Saturday and could not put em on SmugMug.
I've emailed SmugMug and they have helped me try to figure it out. They suspect it has to do with RAW or NEF or JPG. (you can tell I know a whole bunch about cameras!) I never paid attention to what it was set at before this problem started and I don't know what it is supposed to be set at now. I looked in my manual and it has several choices to chose from. (more fun!) I really am lost here. They have recommended getting some help here.
Please help.
Thank you.
FIGHT ON!

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited August 3, 2008
    You'll need to convert your photos to .jpg before you can upload them to your smugmug galleries.

It sounds like you have your camera set to record images in Nikon's RAW format. You can either change the camera settings to record in RAW + JPG, or to record JPG only - or you can convert the RAW images to JPG using a program. That can be done with any number of photo editing packages - but if you don't edit your photos, it's quite likely that your camera came with a program that will convert the photos into JPG.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2008
    You'll need to convert your photos to .jpg before you can upload them to your smugmug galleries.

It sounds like you have your camera set to record images in Nikon's RAW format. You can either change the camera settings to record in RAW + JPG, or to record JPG only - or you can convert the RAW images to JPG using a program. That can be done with any number of photo editing packages - but if you don't edit your photos, it's quite likely that your camera came with a program that will convert the photos into JPG.

--- Denise

Thank you Denise!
    When I look into the Control Panel on the top of the camera it does say RAW. I have not had a problem loading pic before saturday.
    My camera would not power up last week so I took it to a camera repair shop and they cleaned it. I used an olympus small camera two saturdays ago and loaded them w/o any problem. Should I change my settings in my camera? The problem is I don't know what it was before. It was working fine. I can figure out how to go about changing it by reading my manual but that would be too easyrolleyes1.gif
    Rather make a fool out of myself here.
    Please help if you can.
    Thank you.
    Greg.
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2008
    FIGHT ON wrote:
    Thank you Denise!
    When I look into the Control Panel on the top of the camera it does say RAW. I have not had a problem loading pic before saturday.
    My camera would not power up last week so I took it to a camera repair shop and they cleaned it. I used an olympus small camera two saturdays ago and loaded them w/o any problem. Should I change my settings in my camera? The problem is I don't know what it was before. It was working fine. I can figure out how to go about changing it by reading my manual but that would be too easyrolleyes1.gif
    Rather make a fool out of myself here.
    Were you using a program before on your computer to process your photos before you uploaded them to your galleries? If you were, then leaving the images as RAW would be fine.

If you were uploading the photos directly from your camera then the camera was creating the .jpg files for you (probably instead of RAW). In that case you will need to change your camera setting. In most cameras you can set .jpg photos based on size. If you plan to print your photos I'd recommend using the largest .jpg setting available on your camera.

You may need to check your manual to fully understand the sizes possible with your camera.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2008
    Were you using a program before on your computer to process your photos before you uploaded them to your galleries? If you were, then leaving the images as RAW would be fine.

If you were uploading the photos directly from your camera then the camera was creating the .jpg files for you (probably instead of RAW). In that case you will need to change your camera setting. In most cameras you can set .jpg photos based on size. If you plan to print your photos I'd recommend using the largest .jpg setting available on your camera.

You may need to check your manual to fully understand the sizes possible with your camera.

--- Denise
    WOW!
    Some hope! I wasn't using a program that I am aware of. I was putting the images from my camera onto my hard drive and then from there going to smug mug and putting them there. I did look on the manual and it does show different options for image quality and size. I do not plan to print them but I could at some point. I mainly go on hikes on saturdays and take about 100 pictures and then put them on smug mug and send the link to my friends or on hiking forums. That's it. Which one should I choose? jpeg fine,normal or basic?
    Thank you for your help!
    Greg
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2008
    FIGHT ON wrote:
    Which one should I choose? jpeg fine,normal or basic?
    Fine will give you the best quality.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2008
    Fine will give you the best quality.

--- Denise

Denise,
    Thank you for your advice. I just got an email from Smugmug and they recommmend the same Fine settings with the JPEG. Good to hear! I will attempt to change it asap.

Do I need to pay attention to the Image Size? I haven't even looked where to look on my camera yet.
    I have three options.
    #1. L (3008X2000) - Size (pixels) 3,008x2,000 - size when printed at 200 dpi (appproximately) 38x25cm (15"x10").
    #2. M (2240x1488) - 2,240x1,488 - 28x19cm (11"x7.5").
    #3. S (1504x1000) - 1,504x1,000 - 19x13cm (7.5"x5").

Thank you again for your help.
    Greg
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2008
    FIGHT ON wrote:
    Do I need to pay attention to the Image Size? I haven't even looked where to look on my camera yet.
    I have three options.
    #1. L (3008X2000) - Size (pixels) 3,008x2,000 - size when printed at 200 dpi (appproximately) 38x25cm (15"x10").
    #2. M (2240x1488) - 2,240x1,488 - 28x19cm (11"x7.5").
    #3. S (1504x1000) - 1,504x1,000 - 19x13cm (7.5"x5").

Thank you again for your help.
    Greg
    Set it to L - which will give you the best quality print (if you're shooting .jpg as opposed to RAW).

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2008
    Set it to L - which will give you the best quality print (if you're shooting .jpg as opposed to RAW).

--- Denise

Great!
    Thank you
    Greg
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2008

--- Denise
    Wow I think I did it!
    Now I was wondering. I left the image card in my camera with the pictures still on it. Can I now send them to smugmug and will they be in the jpeg form? I'm guessing they can't.
    Thanks. Greg
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2008

--- Denise

Denise. I contacted Smug Mug to find out how convert RAW files to JPEG files and they told me to ask here again. Please help if you can.
    Thank you.
    Greg