DSS Challenge 5 Opinion

JamokeJamoke Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
edited August 4, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
I had a lot of fun yesterday taking my first Macro Shots ever. I had 3 Extension tubes, a 2X converter, and a 70-200 L mixed with an amazing Tripod, and a fun Remote Shutter Release. Anyway - here are a few of my finalists. All can be viewed here: Gallery

#1 Favorite Colors (Pile of M&M's)
343701144_gbEqh-M-1.jpg

#2 Apple with Color (iPhone + Crayon Shaving)
343701881_vDRQr-M-1.jpg

#3 Exuding Color (Acrylic Paint + Monocular Prism) - Currently Entered
344241111_6kxSQ-M.jpg

#4 Broken Color (Acrylic Paint + Monocular Prism)
343849003_juxmS-M-1.jpg

#5 Mixed Colors (Acrylic Paint + Crayon Shavings)
343776261_tPCgD-M-1.jpg

So what do you think? What would you change? What could I do better? Which one should I post? Which one tells the story best (Primary)? Which one is the worst? Is there a better one in my Gallery that I missed? What should I consider if I re-shoot?

(I borrowed the Extension tubes, and now I have to buy a set...)
(Lesson Learned: Clean your Lens+Sensor so you don't have any post...)
Mine: Canon 20D, 50 f1.8 II, 28-105 II, 70-200 f2.8L, T 70-300 Macro, T 2X expander, 12-24 Sigma
Hers: Sony SR10, (Soon Canon 5D MKII), 85 f1.8, 28-135 USM, Stroboframe, Manfrotto NeoTec
Ours: Pair of 580 EX, Lensbaby, Studio Alien Bees, Son & TWO Daughters

Comments

• douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2008
    I like # 1 and 2. I really like the texture and color in # 2 but not sure about the the apple it is perhaps to big. You might try messing around more with 1 and 2 and see if you find a composition you like even more, but they are great as is.
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2008
    #1 has definite photographic merit and a nice idea, I'd only drop the M letter...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2008
    I think the m&m's is the strongest image. It isn't quite clear to me what the crystal is for.
  • KurtPrestonKurtPreston Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2008
    The prism shots producing tangible color from light are a very strong concept, I don't like how they are executed though. The light coming in needs to be more apparent and could use a wider DOF. I agree with Nick, #1 is your best one so far, but the colors feel just slightly muddy and would need to really pop right out of the frame.
  • JamokeJamoke Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2008
    #1 is your best one so far, but the colors feel just slightly muddy and would need to really pop right out of the frame.

The shot is at -1 EV without any Post. It looks great as a background for my phone, but your right, if I was to enter it, I would want it to pop more.
    Nikolai wrote:
    #1 has definite photographic merit and a nice idea, I'd only drop the M letter...

But there is no "M" They are all 3's as there are three Red M&M's..... all with the number 3.....

Thank you for the comments though!! - I do appreciate them all.
    Mine: Canon 20D, 50 f1.8 II, 28-105 II, 70-200 f2.8L, T 70-300 Macro, T 2X expander, 12-24 Sigma
    Hers: Sony SR10, (Soon Canon 5D MKII), 85 f1.8, 28-135 USM, Stroboframe, Manfrotto NeoTec
    Ours: Pair of 580 EX, Lensbaby, Studio Alien Bees, Son & TWO Daughters
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    #3 is my favorite of the bunch. But I feel that the colors within the prism are not strong enough. Can you reshoot that and then put your light at an angle to make those rainbow colors in the prism stand out more?