Nikon D40 lens question

TwistedJTwistedJ Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
edited August 4, 2008 in Cameras
I would like recommendations on a good lens for shooting wildlife with a Nikon D40. Thanks in advance.......

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited August 3, 2008
    TwistedJ wrote:
    I would like recommendations on a good lens for shooting wildlife with a Nikon D40. Thanks in advance.......

What wildlife are you interested in shooting and under what lighting conditions?

What is your experience in wildlife photography?

What are your quality requirements? (A snapshot doesn't require as much quality as 20" x 30" print.)

Do you have even a vague wish for a budget range?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • TwistedJTwistedJ Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2008
    Backyard and city park wildlife. I've been shooting wildlife photos with my Nikon 55-200 zoom also tried a Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6. Can't get subjects in close enough without cropping a lot off. Budget less than 1000.00.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited August 3, 2008
    OK, I'll direct you to a thread where our esteemed Harry Behret describes what he uses or has used:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=39768

I'm afraid you are going to find a budget of $1000USD a bit limiting.

You might be better off with some moderate priced, but great quality, lenses and some different strategies.

A great lens and a pretty good value is the Nikkor 80-200mm, f2.8D AF-S ED-IF. It's no longer available new but you can find them used in very good shape for around $1200. It should work fine with the Nikon TC-14E teleconverter and give better images than the 70-300mm you are experienced with.

I would recommend using bait to lure the animals closer to your position. At your home, you might additionally use a camera blind of some sort. Some people use a half-silvered window to allow photography of birds and squirrels without scaring the animals. (Some birds have the ability to see through those panes so you might have to additionally subdue the interior light to hide your presence.) Setup some feeders a few feet from the window and within a few weeks you will probably attract a variety of critters to photograph, depending on the bait.

Park wildlife might be another issue but feeding the animals will probably help the situation. It also takes a lot of patience and knowing the right time of day for the animals to show.

P.S. You could definitely try the techniques of bait and camera blind with your current lenses first.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    With 1000 budget, I would recommend the sigma 50-500. According to this website, it will have AF with the D40.

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/11941/nikon_d40_sigma_lenses/
    edited August 4, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    OK, I'll direct you to a thread where our esteemed Harry Behret describes what he uses or has used:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=39768

I'm afraid you are going to find a budget of $1000USD a bit limiting.

You might be better off with some moderate priced, but great quality, lenses and some different strategies.

A great lens and a pretty good value is the Nikkor 80-200mm, f2.8D AF-S ED-IF. It's no longer available new but you can find them used in very good shape for around $1200. It should work fine with the Nikon TC-14E teleconverter and give better images than the 70-300mm you are experienced with.

I would recommend using bait to lure the animals closer to your position. At your home, you might additionally use a camera blind of some sort. Some people use a half-silvered window to allow photography of birds and squirrels without scaring the animals. (Some birds have the ability to see through those panes so you might have to additionally subdue the interior light to hide your presence.) Setup some feeders a few feet from the window and within a few weeks you will probably attract a variety of critters to photograph, depending on the bait.

Park wildlife might be another issue but feeding the animals will probably help the situation. It also takes a lot of patience and knowing the right time of day for the animals to show.

P.S. You could definitely try the techniques of bait and camera blind with your current lenses first.

Thanks Ziggy will look into this.......
    edited August 4, 2008
    jonh68 wrote:
    With 1000 budget, I would recommend the sigma 50-500. According to this website, it will have AF with the D40.

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/11941/nikon_d40_sigma_lenses/

Thanks John will check it out.