Balancing Pillars

dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
edited August 6, 2008 in Landscapes
Went to the Chiracahua Mountains today, a national monument with 9470 acres of pristine beauty.

344671398_YgFqL-L.jpg

Comments

• Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    Wow! Interesting subject....wouldn't want to be where you were if one of those decided to break away!
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    Thats a lot of acres to play in. :D Very nice rock formation photo.
    I think the foreground trees work really well in your composition.
    Michael
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    Idlewild wrote:
    Wow! Interesting subject....wouldn't want to be where you were if one of those decided to break away!

I certainly contemplated the potential risk. They look very precarious up close and personal.
    edited August 5, 2008
    DaddyO wrote:
    Thats a lot of acres to play in. :D Very nice rock formation photo.
    I think the foreground trees work really well in your composition.

Thanks for looking and commenting DaddyO
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    I have yet to make it down to the Chiracahua Mountains. How far was this from Tucson? I am about 40 minutes North of Tucson.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
    edited August 5, 2008
    anwmn1 wrote:
    I have yet to make it down to the Chiracahua Mountains. How far was this from Tucson? I am about 40 minutes North of Tucson.

It's quite a long trip from where you are. 120 miles from Tucson, but worth it.
    edited August 5, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    It's quite a long trip from where you are. 120 miles from Tucson, but worth it.

Sounds like an overnighter or a weekend trip- to do it right.

Thanks for the info.

Aaron Newman

edited August 5, 2008
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Sounds like an overnighter or a weekend trip- to do it right.

Thanks for the info.

Aaron, how about a little candid c&c on the shot?
    edited August 5, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    Aaron, how about a little candid c&c on the shot?

My apologies-

Okay here I go-

I checked your galleries for the exif and see that this was taken at 14:24 which means 2:24 pm. Big :nono here in AZ unless there are some rare clouds to help diffuse the light and provide some content to the sky. You have some high clouds but not enough to create a dramatic scene.

The other shots I have seen of the Chiracahua Mountains are usually from a higher perspective looking out over rather than looking up. I think in general that works better. There are not too many good looking up shots when it comes to landscapes.

I think you did good with what you had and the trees in the foreground help but the cut off cactus does not. I think by backing up you could have placed the top of the pillars closer to the top third rather than the top of the frame- this probably wouold have helped decrease the angle of the shot and the overal balance as well.

I think you will want to invest in the 10-22 based on your architectural shots both around Tucson as well as in your travels. It will also give you a much wider angle for landscapes.

I am going to have to find some time to come down your way and let you show me where all the colorful doors are. I really like those shots. thumb.gif

Aaron Newman

edited August 5, 2008
    anwmn1 wrote:
    My apologies-

Okay here I go-

I checked your galleries for the exif and see that this was taken at 14:24 which means 2:24 pm. Big :nono here in AZ unless there are some rare clouds to help diffuse the light and provide some content to the sky. You have some high clouds but not enough to create a dramatic scene.

The other shots I have seen of the Chiracahua Mountains are usually from a higher perspective looking out over rather than looking up. I think in general that works better. There are not too many good looking up shots when it comes to landscapes.

I think you did good with what you had and the trees in the foreground help but the cut off cactus does not. I think by backing up you could have placed the top of the pillars closer to the top third rather than the top of the frame- this probably wouold have helped decrease the angle of the shot and the overal balance as well.

I think you will want to invest in the 10-22 based on your architectural shots both around Tucson as well as in your travels. It will also give you a much wider angle for landscapes.

I am going to have to find some time to come down your way and let you show me where all the colorful doors are. I really like those shots. thumb.gif

Thanks Aaron; very helpful.

I've been considering the 10-22 as you know. You may have convinced me to pull the trigger.

Any time you want to shoot in and around Tucson, let me know several days in advance and we can shoot. I'd love to get coached.

Thanks thumb.gif
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    Thanks Aaron; very helpful.

I've been considering the 10-22 as you know. You may have convinced me to pull the trigger.

Any time you want to shoot in and around Tucson, let me know several days in advance and we can shoot. I'd love to get coached.

Thanks thumb.gif

Pull the trigger! I used to have the 10-22 when I had a 20D, it was a great lens. If you're into landscapes, it's basically the best wide-angle for the 1.6x crop Canon's IMO.

If you want, I can tell you some other ways to spend your money too, while I'm good at spending my own money on equipment, I'm even better at telling other people how to spend theirs :)

I like the composition of this shot, definitely a good place to head back to with your new 10-22 :D
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    you can play around with the perspective tool and lean the pillars a little forward....

need to know how?

anyway i wish the cactus was all there....deal.gif (as someone already stated:D )

also, just a note on the lens...i loved the 10-22 i had. it was a tokina and i found zero problems with optic quality. (i sold it to help pay for the 5d)
    Aaron Nelson