To drink or not to drink? - assistance required ;-)

pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
edited August 5, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
It seems that glasses and coloured water are popular themes this time round. So a quick question - do any of these cut it? If so which one do you prefer? Also which one(s) really suck(s)?

If none of them work I'll just have to revert to my backup plan of naked men, rings of fire and hedgehogs :D

1. Highlights
343632623_6HPP4-800x800.jpg

2. I'll drink to that (my current entry)
343630924_kD7LX-800x800.jpg

3. Red Red Wine...
344149386_U7Vzt-800x800.jpg

4. Ready, Set, Go
344752657_PNcQC-800x800.jpg

5. Ready, Set, Go (highlights)
344752034_kBhhA-800x800.jpg

6. Focus on the naked men, rings of fire and hedgehogs

Cheers/Peter
"Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
My images | My blog | My free course

Comments

• TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    hey peter
    i have a liking to #3....but keep in mind my selected favorites list usually dont make the cut.

a naked man, rings of fire and a hedgehog sounds...
    well it sounds originalrolleyes1.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    I prefer 5 and 6. mwink.gif I admit when I saw this in the entry thread, my first reaction was, "Man, another glass shot." Granted, it's a good glass shot, but I think it's going to need to be something really unique and spectacular to make it leap out away from the other glass shots. Naked men and fire might just be a way to do that. :giggle
  • VoguesVogues Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    I like 1...but who am I?
  • peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    All the way through the LPS and now in the challenges I often admire the way you have constructed images because at their core they have had some sort of message (in addition to the theme) and the images have been constructed in a way that conveys the message/story well.

In these though, I admit that I just draw a blank. There is nothing extraordinary about them that makes them stand out from any other glass shot I've seen before and underlying the images, there is no real message. Even the theme is a little lost on me in these because they aren't really punchy and sharp.

So for me, I don't think any of these would get you through into the final voting, but hey, I've been worng many times in the past.

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    Not that my commenta are worth the ascii code they're written with - but 3.

(If continuing down this 'glass' path, I'd consider trying what it looked like without the reflections (in the red) and maybe rotate the whole setup so the centrelines weren't parallel to the frame verticals ... but keep the tight crop)

Good luck, whatever you decide :)

pp
  • VelvtRideVelvtRide Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    Vogues wrote:
    I like 1...but who am I?
    One with whom I agree with. deal.gif

Love #1!! clap.gif
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    I know this doesn't help but I really like #3. It's a nice simple piece that speaks "red'.

The shimmery highlights in #1 and #5 don't do anything for me. ne_nau.gif

Hey, where are the naked men, hedgehogs and ring of fire? rolleyes1.gif
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    You don't say :-) lol3.gif
    #3 for me. deal.gif
    You know what they say, sometimes less is more...:-)mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    Thank you all so much for taking time to give your feedback for my images.iloveyou.giflustiloveyou.gif

The general feel I get is that I'm going to have to shoot the naked man with his hedgehog and ring of fire rolleyes1.gif

Cheers/Peter
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    Hey Pemmet

Although I would much rather see Naked Men I like #3 and 1.

but prefer number 3 to 1. I find that although the composition of 1 is cool, there is something lacking, perhaps it is a bit "flat". To me there does not seem to have depth.

3 brings my eyes into the photo more, following the curvature of the lines, my thought, I would play with curves and see what variances you could get with shadows, midtones and highlights.

Best of Wishes whichever you choose.
    Peace
    Donna
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote