Options

England, Wales and Holland

mountainhousemountainhouse Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
edited August 7, 2008 in Journeys
The trip consisted of passing through London, and then Bath (2 nights), Devon (2 nights), Cotswolds (2 nights), Northern Wales (2 nights), York (2 nights), London (4 nights) and then staying with family in eastern part of The Netherlands. We drove in the rural areas, which worked well (Bath to Wales). Then took the train to York and back to London.

Was wondering if others struggle with finding time for photography on trips. On this trip, we covered a lot, and I felt as though I was taking photos on the run much of the time. My best photography is clearly when I can dedicate some time.

Any suggestions for improvements would be appreciated. My post processing skills have quite a ways to go. Still working through the PS tutorials here on the site. Anyway, here's a sampling of shots:

A couple of my first attempts at HDR in Bath. Abbey in Bath:

325524451_sE6SG-L.jpg

Royal Crescent at sunset (HDR):

325524241_xKmJk-L.jpg

Wild horse in Dartmoor National Park:

325283175_fUqdG-L.jpg

Conwy Castle in Wales (HDR):

325930477_g23FQ-L-1.jpg

Wonderful town of Beddgelert (pronounced "beth-gell-airt"), Wales:

325930853_PAjn9-L.jpg

York Minster:

326144374_njrZR-L.jpg

York Minster:

326143946_ofDLX-L.jpg

Speaker's Corner in Hyde Park, London:

326515043_8qqY9-L.jpg

Giethoorn in The Netherlands:

326551112_yxe8a-L.jpg
My Europe 2008 Gallery

Comments

• Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    Very nice!! I like the photos of the food you took in england! Making me hungry, well even though it isn't vegetarian.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    MrBook2MrBook2 Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    Great series. That first picture of the York Minster ceiling is fantastic.

--Aaron

http://mrbook2.smugmug.com
    Nikon D200, usually with 18-200VR or 50mm f/1.8D
    Ubuntu 9.04, Bibblepro, GIMP, Argyllcms
    Blog at http://losthighlights.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    Lovely job. I love Bath. I have tried to get some great shots at the royal crescent, but you outdid all my attempts.
    I also love the ceiling image from York.
  • Options
    VersusNYCVersusNYC Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    1 and 3 are my favorite. I like how much detail you brought out in your shots without having that " hdr " look. What do you use to render your HDRs?
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2008
    Thanks for all the kind words.

VersusNYC - I use Photomatix Pro 3.0. There's a bit of a "dreamy" look in the Conwy Castle shot. Is that what you're referring to?
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    excellent captures.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    Kirk WattsKirk Watts Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    Beautiful
    Beautiful photographs mountainhouse, my favourite is Beddgelert.

Do you come from the UK or perhaps the USA?
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2008
    Thank you both. Kirk - Sorry, I need to get my location on my posts. Born in the Netherlands, and immigrated to the US when I was 4. American for all practical purposes, but for some reason I feel really comfortable in Europe, especially the Netherlands.
  • Options
    Kirk WattsKirk Watts Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    Thank you both. Kirk - Sorry, I need to get my location on my posts. Born in the Netherlands, and immigrated to the US when I was 4. American for all practical purposes, but for some reason I feel really comfortable in Europe, especially the Netherlands.

Cool :). The reason I asked was unfortunately the only place many visitors to the UK see is London, and really (in my opinion anyway!), the most beautiful places are in the rest of the country, although London does have its charms. It's great to see you ventured all over the UK. You really went to some of the best places to visit, so good on you! :).

I hope you don't mind, but I had a quick look at your gallery and I see you also went to Lacock and Bourton-on-the-Water! They're really lovely little places and it's great to see you made your way to them.

I'm based in Bristol, so kinda sandwiched between all of the places you visited. You've really done them justice, well done to you and I hope you enjoyed the trip.

I can't wait to go to the Netherlands, the architecture there looks wonderful.

Edit: Looks like you went to Wagamama too! I love Wagamama! If I'm not mistaken, that's the Bath Wagamama? :).
  • Options
    mandamanda Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    Love the photos, especially York. I have similar roller coaster visits when I return to the homelands (live in Sg; raised in the UK). Its always a difficult balance between being with the folks and wanting to get some serious shots in. I looks like you have complete mastery of your equipment to get such fine shots.
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    Fantastic images! I could really see myself right there in the Netherlands house by the stream!
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2008
    Thanks all!

Kirk - I thought we were hitting the touristy spots, but in hindsight, most of the travelers we met, outside London and Bath, were from England. We kept London to the last because the guidebooks said it would be the highlight. London was good, but liked everything else better.... especially the Cotswolds! I would love to spend a couple of weeks hiking there!

In Bath, we stayed in the Travel Lodge co-located with Wagamama. Went there the first night as a bit of a cop-out. Ventured into a lot of pubs after we got settled - what fun!

You have a beautiful country with gracious and friendly folks! My wife says if she was forced to vacation only in England from now on out, it would be fine. thumb.gif Thanks and take care.
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    Beautiful work
    great architecture !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    I really love the variety of pics you shared with us, well doneclap.gif
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/