more bmx

tanyBUGtanyBUG Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
edited August 6, 2008 in Sports
i took some more bmx shots last weekend. I tried to follow some advice I was given last time. Still probably am not as close as I maybe should be on some of the shots, but flying bikes can be scary! haha I also still dont have an off camera flash, so it is what it is, but here they are! CC welcome!

n513786674_1597246_8770.jpg

n513786674_1597243_7950.jpg

n513786674_1597249_9882.jpg

n513786674_1597242_7498.jpg

n513786674_1597248_9602.jpg

n513786674_1597241_7164.jpg

these are kinda low quality versions :s

Comments

• tanyBUGtanyBUG Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    no one has 2 cents to offer? It's OK if you don't like them, it's the only way I will get better! :)
  • Matt336Matt336 Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    You are right that you aren't close enough, it's hard to make out faces in a few of them. Getting closer or zooming in more would help alot. The colors also seemed to be washed out a bit. Good attempt though! You seem to have a knack for getting the right shots (ie. timing them right), just get closer and they will look great!
  • 2whlrcr2whlrcr Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    Matt336 wrote:
    You are right that you aren't close enough, it's hard to make out faces in a few of them. Getting closer or zooming in more would help alot. The colors also seemed to be washed out a bit. Good attempt though! You seem to have a knack for getting the right shots (ie. timing them right), just get closer and they will look great!

+1

Your timing and positioning looks good, but you need to be closer. A panaramic shot for reference is always good now and then, but you need to fill the frame with the rider more. And it's best to do this with the camera, not cropping.

I would suggest using fill flash. It will brighten the riders faces and add contrast. Plus if you are close enough, the on board flash may work.

Try all kinds of exposures and settings. Experiment. Try and make notes of what your doing. Personally, I like tight framed shots with a shallow depth of field, that shows the riders expressions. But don't get in the trap of doing one type of photo and nothing else.
    edited August 5, 2008
    thank you guys! I really appreciate it! I really like to hear how I can do better! I find it so much more useful hearing from real people, then reading a book or something!
  • shoppixshoppix Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    bmx shots
    Tany - what camera and lens are you using? As well, what exposure mode are you using, ie. shutter, aperture, program or manual??

And, 1 more ?, is your camera set to matrix metering? If so, try 'center area' or 'spot' metering which will give better exposure of the rider when 'in shadow'. Spot is more difficult to use in many sports, but you seem to have tracked the movements of the riders pretty well. Although, with a longer(tele) lens, which will give you closer, more tightly cropped -and better - shots, you will be challenged to keep the subject in the frame! But,....that's what separates the pro's from the casual shooters!
    Go to place that sells bmx etc magazines, and look at the photos to get better idea of what you need to work towards. I still do that as a refresher (slap in the head), or to further fine tune what I am doing or not doing. Constant learning!

Steve
    wings.gif
  • shoppixshoppix Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    bmx
    Tany

Also, try using the built in flash on your camrera. Might have to adjust compensation, but that little flash will help. I use an old 'clear' film cannister which I cut to fit onto the pop up flash to help diffuse the light a bit. Lumiquest makes a diffuser to attach to camera flashes, about $12 I think. I've piece of kleenex to do same thing, to help reduce the ugly 'flash' look.

Steve
    edited August 6, 2008
    i have a rebel xt, and those were take with a Sigma 17-70 2.8 Lens
    They are actually sharper than they look here, these are just low quality versions.
    I was shooting manual, still need to get better at that too though.

Thanks for the advice about the flash I will try it out.

I'm not totally sure about the metering stuff ne_nau.gif

Oh and I do read and look at tonnes of BMX mags. I know what Im working towards, just dont know how to get there! haha