challenge 37 attempts

Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
edited April 24, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
I had the day off so I thought I would go looking for patterns/repetition.

My first stop was at a local vineyard. they have recently planted the grapes and I thought it would make for an interesting pattern. Unfortunately my eye sees it as a better pattern than my camera (not the cameras fault) :
3437446723232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E2338%3D6%3A%3B%3D377%3DXROQDF%3E2323834%3B94565ot1lsi

Next stop was The Luther Burbank Garden House. Got some pretty good pics here. Some patterns some not.

#2:

3437446723232%7Ffp63%3Dot%3E2338%3D6%3A%3B%3D377%3DXROQDF%3E2323834%3B94562ot1lsi

And last but definitely not least, my personal favorite
3437446723232%7Ffp64%3Dot%3E2338%3D6%3A%3B%3D377%3DXROQDF%3E2323834%3B94563ot1lsi

I know the last one is perfectly centered not correct but hell I like it anyways. One of my favorite flower pics I've taken.

So that was all I could find today. Comments, critiques, like/dislikes, even just an "I hate it" (:rofl ) ALWAYS welcomed.

Thanks for looking,

Eric
"My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com

Comments

• devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 22, 2005
    Eric,

I love #3, a very usual shaped flower.

#2, I think the focus is a little off, to me anyway.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2005
    Yeah #2s a little soft because it's a heavy crop.

Thanks for commenting

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

• 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2005
    The third one almost looks three dimensional,love the colors too!
  • photoshowphotoshow Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2005
    #3 is a great floral shot. The colors really pop and the shape of the flower is very unique and symetrical. It lends its self well to the centered composition.
    Bobby Deal - Commercial Photography * Vegas Vision Studios The Pro's choice for studio rental in Las Vegas
    Studio Photography Lighting and Modeling Workshops For the Discerning Taste
    "The only photographer we ought compare ourselves to is the one we used to be"
    edited April 23, 2005
    Thanks for the kind comments everyone! Is there enough pattern in #3 or should I try for something else?ne_nau.gif

Eric

• ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2005
    Eric&Susan wrote:
    Thanks for the kind comments everyone! Is there enough pattern in #3 or should I try for something else?ne_nau.gif
    I really like #3, it just pops off the "page". Do you know what kind of flower it is? To me, the background behind it detracts from it as a challenge entry. It doesn't really enhance the pattern, or give much repetition. Definitely a great flower shot, though! thumb.gif

Chris
    Chris
    edited April 23, 2005
    95Mcaj wrote:
    I really like #3, it just pops off the "page". Do you know what kind of flower it is? To me, the background behind it detracts from it as a challenge entry. It doesn't really enhance the pattern, or give much repetition. Definitely a great flower shot, though! thumb.gif

Chris
    Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I was to busy snapping pics to pay attention to the plant markers. At this garden it could be anything as the original owner was into cross-breeding plants to come up with new varieties. Back to the drawing board for patterns.

Eric

• digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2005
    devbobo wrote:
    Eric,

I love #3, a very usual shaped flower.

#2, I think the focus is a little off, to me anyway.

Cheers,

David
    # 3 all the way! If you're willing to cut some of these flowers, I would suggest arranging them so that you have one perfect flower in the center (or following your rule of thirds, however you feel) and have the remaining flowers fill the frame but about 2-4 inches below your main flower. That way you have a full frame of pattern and repetition, and I think the shot would still be interesting because the sharper focus would be on that perfect flower.

wish I'd thought of it! better yet, I wish I had flowers like that to take pictures of! You must have a green thumb. :D they are very beautiful.
    edited April 24, 2005
    # 3 all the way! If you're willing to cut some of these flowers, I would suggest arranging them so that you have one perfect flower in the center (or following your rule of thirds, however you feel) and have the remaining flowers fill the frame but about 2-4 inches below your main flower. That way you have a full frame of pattern and repetition, and I think the shot would still be interesting because the sharper focus would be on that perfect flower.

wish I'd thought of it! better yet, I wish I had flowers like that to take pictures of! You must have a green thumb. :D they are very beautiful.
    I wish I had a green thumbrolleyes1.gif These are actually in a place called The Luther Burbank Gardens. A very smart man who had breed many differnet cross' of plants and flowers. Thanks for the reply.

Eric