mas moto cross

amadeusamadeus Registered Users Posts: 2,125 Major grins
edited August 6, 2008 in Sports
from yesterday. still shooting on sports setting, I'm not ready to start taking chances with manual settings. I'm just to satisfied with what I'm getting on sports setting. I'd really like to see a wireless connection to a laptop type device so I could see my shots when I take them and adjust as you go. the LCD on the camera (D40) just isn't enough to know if you got a good shot apart from framing in my opinion.

now a good day time flash for when the sun is behind a cloud would be nice.

344594617_E4ZZr-XL-1.jpg

Comments

• amadeusamadeus Registered Users Posts: 2,125 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    things get hot when the sun comes out.

344609121_ybH7k-XL.jpg
    edited August 4, 2008
    no mas. :D

344594644_ixMVA-X2-2.jpg
    edited August 4, 2008
    248 takes down yet another KTM on his Kawasaki..headscratch.gif

344605758_QfwhG-X2.jpg
    edited August 4, 2008
    344613139_z2LfY-X2.jpg
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited August 5, 2008
    try working on your panning technique. Slow the shutter down so you get some motion in the wheels/background.

Otherwise, another nice set of MX pics.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Matt336Matt336 Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    That first one is great! #3 I would have liked to see the tires blurred a little bit more. #248 looks to be out of control!rolleyes1.gif
  • 2whlrcr2whlrcr Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    try working on your panning technique. Slow the shutter down so you get some motion in the wheels/background.

Of course in order to do this, you will have to quit being so stubborn and try shooting manually. Sure you will botch a few photos, but the keepers will be really nice.

Photo number one would have been much more dramatic, with a blurred spinning rear wheel.
  • shoppixshoppix Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    bmx
    I agree with the other guys. I say it softly, so as not to offend you, so listen carefully: Get Off 'picutre Mode"!!!
    Look at the shot info on your laptop. What was typical shutter and aperture settings set by the camera. Write it down, tape it to the camera body, your hand, forehead!!!, and use those settings next time you are out shooting.
    On most of these you need, as already mentioned, slower shutter - slightl - to blur the spokes/treads of the wheels, and wider aperture to shorten DOF and thereby get nicely blurred backgrounds.

You can do it. Also, try your oncamera(built in) flash to add a little fill light. Adjust the compensation to reduce the garish light from a flash appearance.

Steve

You can do it!!! Keep shootin'!
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    amadeus wrote:
    from yesterday. still shooting on sports setting, I'm not ready to start taking chances with manual settings.

Then don't go full-manual yet, go halfway. Go to shutter priority and select the shutter speed that YOU want, not what the camera wants. Choose that shutter speed based on how much, or how little blur you want in the tires and background. Let the camera select the aperture. Choose your ISO so that the aperture doesn't stray too far from what you would like the camera to choose.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu