Sigma Lens Advice

redhaltonredhalton Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
edited August 5, 2008 in Cameras
Hi

A friend of mine just offered me this lens;

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3258&navigator=1

Now this will be completely useless for my camera 'Nikon D80' but a few colleagues shot with Canons (all DSLR) and I'm wondering at $300.00 if this is good value and whether it will work on their cameras?

Thanks

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited August 4, 2008
    The Sigma 17-35mm, F2.8-4 EX DG ASPHERICAL HSM is one of those lenses that always gets mixed reviews. Unfortunately too many people say they get soft edges until the lens is stopped down to f11 or so. While not everyone has the same experience, it mould make me test the lens before purchase.

Since it would appear that you don't have a camera to test it on, have your friend demonstrate it for you. View the results, on a computer, wide open and stopped down and judge for yourself.

I would not recommend purchase of that lens without proof of quality.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    It should work on your D80 I think, unless you know otherwise. Sigma's 18-200HSM OS, and the 10-20 HSM both work on my D70.

However, sigma's 30 1.4 HSM is extremely dissappointing on my D70 and the stores D80 (but works great on a D40 I tried it on, as well as my D300.) I'd test the lens mainly looking for focusing problems and make sure you can return it.
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    Art Scott knows more about Sigma lenses than anyone I know - he will hopefully chime in!
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    I've shot and tested one for my friends. You can get a new one for $289 at Cameta Camera.

As for the optics, the lens is quite nice in my view and my buddy uses it for ultrawide shots for weddings on his Canon 5D and is happy with the results.

I think it has good contrast and is relatively sharp when you stop down a touch.

Photodo.com has a review of it with actual images so you can compare it with other lenses in this category.

Compared to the Tamron 17-35mm which I've had, the sigma has less distortion at the wide end which is nice and has a nice but somewhat slow HSM AF motor as well. For the price it's a great bargain if you have a full frame body and don't want to spend a lot more money for a FF fast ultrawide lens.