Options

Am I on the right track?: new wedding packages

2»

Comments

• Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    thenimirra wrote:
    as far as the 4x6s, I can lower the resolution as well as constrict the size.
    I hope you understand that the "size" and "resolution" of a JPG image does not, in any way shape or form, restrict someone from making as large a print as they desire. It will have an impact on the final quality of the image, but if you give me a "4x6 100dpi" JPG file I can still upload that and have a 20x30 print made from it. Would look bad, but I can still do it. Worse, if someone actually does that will they understand why it looks bad, or will they simply blame the photographer?

You can't "restrict" someone from making a larger print.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    mercphoto wrote:
    I hope you understand that the "size" and "resolution" of a JPG image does not, in any way shape or form, restrict someone from making as large a print as they desire. It will have an impact on the final quality of the image, but if you give me a "4x6 100dpi" JPG file I can still upload that and have a 20x30 print made from it. Would look bad, but I can still do it. Worse, if someone actually does that will they understand why it looks bad, or will they simply blame the photographer?

You can't "restrict" someone from making a larger print.

Also it is worth knowing that most people also know of uprezing software like Genuine Fractals and smart scale to just name a couple and still be able to pull off a decently good 20 x 30 or larger.....even if all they have is a pirated copy of P-shop they can upscale.....not greatly but it can be done.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    thenimirrathenimirra Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    we already had this discussion in another thread....you can make only 4x6 using photoshop. But thanks for the advice anyway. thumb.gif

Here is the thread where it was discussed: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=99911

Originally Posted by nipprdog
    First, you can't define image size on a CD. Even though you say they're 4x6s, they'll print 8x10s, 11x14s, and say they're great, because they're free.

Posted by Nikolai:
    Well, I respectfully disagree.
    You can output your images at exactly 4"x6" at, say, 100 dpi.
    They would still make decent 4x6, so-so 8x10, but anything bigger would be pretty lousy. And if they are happy with such crappy results, well, they would probably print them out of SM's medium size jpegs anyway, so there is really no way of stopping those except doing all the printwork yourself and not releasing any non-watermarked images.