Bullying the Sun

ShaktipaloozaShaktipalooza Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited August 5, 2008 in People
Hello, I've been a long time Smugmug user but never got around to using these forums. Here's my first post...

I shot my first wedding in Montana last weekend. Beautiful country and setting but the light was really bright and really harsh when it came time for the formals.

Profoto 7B to the rescue.

Went to the location ahead of the bride and groom to set up the lights since I was only going to have 15 minutes to shoot them. Thankfully they sent their niece with me as a stand in for lighting.

First shot to check ambient...
341433198_KFiCw-M.jpg
Set up the 7b with key and fill, throw a polarizer on, tweak a few settings, and voila!
341348552_ffPqp-X2.jpg

Bride and Groom drive up, shoot the pics in 15 minutes and we're outta there.
341348982_8EAsN-X2.jpg

Comments

• Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    Welcome to DG - you're going to love it...

From where in MT do you hail? I went to school in Bozeman and look forward to visiting every chance I get.

You have a good process going here, but I think you used a touch too much flash - just my opinion FWIW
  • maljomaljo Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited August 4, 2008
    Beautifully done!
    maljo
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    Welcome to DG - you're going to love it...

From where in MT do you hail? I went to school in Bozeman and look forward to visiting every chance I get.

You have a good process going here, but I think you used a touch too much flash - just my opinion FWIW
    Welcome to Dgrin! clap.gif
    MT is beautiful counttry fersure! iloveyou.gif
    Nice shooting, but I agree with Scott - you overdid your flash about a whole stop. ne_nau.gif
    The rule of thumb is you have the rim light (sun in your case) one stop higher than the main, and you seem to come equal or even higher headscratch.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    stop schmop :)
    Absolutely STUNNING.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    Absolutely STUNNING.

15524779-Ti.gif amazing job...
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    iloveyou.gif Very cool!
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2008
  • CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    Wowza! Nice going!
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
  • shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    Love it! Looks like it is time for the rest of us to move to MT! Welcome to DGRIN
  • DeuceFourDeuceFour Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    WOW!! What a difference! Gotta love on location lighting!! Very Nice
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    Very Nice
    I ditto the rest...good work. What a location. The lights really add pop. Try using LightRoom or similar to adjust the exposure down just a little and see what happens.

Wow factor is right on up there...
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • jayegirljayegirl Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    Lovely. Look forward to seeing more posts.
    Jaye
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    shaktipalooza,

I like the look of this type of photo, but can't figure out how it's done.

For example, with my camera (5D) / strobes I can sync at 1/160 to maybe 1/200. 1/200 with the speedlights.

If the outside ambient light puts the shutter at say 1/500 to properly expose, and capture the background, and the fastest sync I can get is only 1/160, how is this resolved?

Sam
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    thumb.giflust
    Beautiful setup and shots!
    I agree it could benefit from a tad more ambient in the bride groom shot. Maybe 2/3's more. I think the shot of the niece came out very well and you'll probably sell a copy of that too! lol.

Sam you could use High Speed Sync for ETTL, right?
    You could also stop down the lens f/13 - 32 and lower the ISO so you can slow the shutter speed.
    Regardless, the 580EX is quite powerful and you can do it with that.
    This can be done with manual or ETTL flash. Helps to have a light meter to balance ambient and flash if you do it manually.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • ShaktipaloozaShaktipalooza Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    Shot details
    Thanks for the comments everyone. I intenionally stopped down the background because I wanted the look. Probably won't do it every time but that's how we learn what we like.

I had my 5D set at f/13 with a circular polarizer (2 stops). This brought the ambient down where I could use the off camera strobes (Profoto 7b) at 1/200 second with pocket wizards.
    Sam wrote:
    shaktipalooza,

I like the look of this type of photo, but can't figure out how it's done.

For example, with my camera (5D) / strobes I can sync at 1/160 to maybe 1/200. 1/200 with the speedlights.

If the outside ambient light puts the shutter at say 1/500 to properly expose, and capture the background, and the fastest sync I can get is only 1/160, how is this resolved?

Sam
  • ShaktipaloozaShaktipalooza Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    This shoot was in Montana but I'm based in Portland, Oregon. It was a favor to the groom who is a long time friend.

The niece's mother did like it enough that when they come to Oregon this month they're hiring me for a family shoot.
    evoryware wrote:
    thumb.giflust
    Beautiful setup and shots!
    I agree it could benefit from a tad more ambient in the bride groom shot. Maybe 2/3's more. I think the shot of the niece came out very well and you'll probably sell a copy of that too! lol.

Sam you could use High Speed Sync for ETTL, right?
    You could also stop down the lens f/13 - 32 and lower the ISO so you can slow the shutter speed.
    Regardless, the 580EX is quite powerful and you can do it with that.
    This can be done with manual or ETTL flash. Helps to have a light meter to balance ambient and flash if you do it manually.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    Thanks for the comments everyone. I intenionally stopped down the background because I wanted the look. Probably won't do it every time but that's how we learn what we like.

I had my 5D set at f/13 with a circular polarizer (2 stops). This brought the ambient down where I could use the off camera strobes (Profoto 7b) at 1/200 second with pocket wizards.

Thanks for your answer. I guess the real answer is that if one wants to do this type of photography you need to have a selection of neutral density filters.

evoryware,

Thanks for your response. I should have been a little more specific. Sorry. I know about the high speed sync, but was wondering if there were any secrets to using strobes for this effect. I,m not sure the 580 would put out enough light, but I haven't really tried it for more than a one person close up.

Sam