Is it me, or does she look like a young Allison Krauss?

gnoojgnooj Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
edited August 5, 2008 in People
This is the daughter of a good friend of mine. They asked me to shoot her senior photos. I now have a whole new respect for folks who shoot portraits. I'm used to landscapes and macros. Where one often has time for composition and other adjustments. I can see where portrait photography is a lot of fun, but it could be nerve racking. I can't imagine doing a life event like a wedding.

344644449_LL7QM-XL.jpg

Comments

• CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    I had to take a second glance to make sure this lady wasn't topless! With the combination of hair, tank top, and strap I was almost fooled!
    I just want to put it out there that I'm not an expert at lighting and exposure, but here's my two cents none the less:
    - I would like to see more of her (what I assume.. not musical!) banjo
    - Shoulders square to the camera isn't usually the most flattering angle, especially for a female, just makes a girl look more 'bulky' to be blunt.
    - I do like how vibrant the green is against her skin tone
    - I also like the 'playing a banjo in a field of grass' theme to this image.
    Not too shabby for a newbie with portraits! Could we possibly see a couple more?? PS Thanks for sharing!
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    Here's what I see (just my opinion):
    • DOF is too deep and the grass is a bit distracting - open up the lens a bit.
    • The grass in front of your model is too high as it hides too much of her.
    • As mentioned, you need to turn your model a bit from the camera, for the reasons mentioned.
    • Her right eye looks like its swollen shut - I know it's just an optical illusion, but there it is.
    • You need some fill light for her face, in particular for her eyes. You have a good case of "raccoon eyes" going there.
    • The light is very flat - get some off-camera lighting to one side of her or the other. It doesn't have to be expensive - a manual flash ($80+/-) and a couple of ebay radio triggers ($30+/-) will do the job nicely. This will also put a bit of a catchlight in her eye - such a sparkle will add soooo much interest to the photo.
    • Traditional wisdom holds that presenting the back of a lady's hand is less flattering then edge of her hand.
    When it comes to post-processing:
    • You might want to clean up some of the more noticable skin imperfections
    • A dark and subtle vignette might be nice to both hide some of the detail of the grass as well as to focus viewer attention on the model.
    I guess that's enough for now.
  • gnoojgnooj Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    Thanks for the suggestions folks. I appreciate it.