Options

Help me with my portrait workflow

yoyomayoyoma Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
edited August 12, 2008 in Finishing School
Hey guys, I am relatively new here, and essentially everything I know about photography I've learned from the internet. That said, I'd like to painstakingly go through my normal portrait work flow and ask if there is anything I am doing wrong or technique I am missing out on. Here is my original (actually I did crop it a touch):

2734661410_4491291d59_b.jpg

The first thing that I do after cropping is adjust levels. Then I go through and either clone stamp tool with about a 50% blend, or use the spot healing brush to remove blemishes, etc. I still get very mixed results between these two tools, it's rare that I only use one.

After that I tweak the color to my liking using curves, although I am still fairly clueless about how to do this systematically, and I can't seem to understand Lab color despite having read several tutorials.

I usually always do a hue and levels adjustment on another layer solely to get the irises looking just the way i like them (which is dark and rich, no matter the color), and often times tweak each eye separately because i find that in my originals the eyes never seem to 'match' like they should. Then i mask the irises through to the top layer. On this particular picture I darkened the pupils just a bit because they seemed hazy due to the lighting. I also detest seeing my own reflection, though I love seeing the umbrellas and stuff.

Sometimes I will use gaussian or lens blur on the whole image and then mask different parts of the face through so I can fake a short depth of field, though I didn't find it necessary on this photo. I am not sure which filter is best for faking this effect, but I am interested in anyone's thoughts.

After that I drop all my layers down so that I have two identical ones. On the top layer I run a median blur at around 30 pixels and drop opacity to 50%. Then I mask through the parts of the face that need to be sharp; this is eyes, eyebrows, lips, nose, ears, etc. I find this gives me really soft and smooth skin, but you can tell me based on my example.

Then I look at the whole image again and make any final tweaks. Here is my finished image:

2734659052_f4d0b686e5_b.jpg

I also made a black and white from this one. First I use the channel mixer to experiment with different filters until I find the look I like. On this one it was orange, I believe.

Next I create a new layer on top that is a jpg I have that is merely a high-res image I have of film grain, which looks like this:

2733834681_e61c37dd8f_b.jpg

Usually I have to free transform the grain layer to get the size of the grain where it works for the image. I set it's opacity to 50%, and turn the blend mode to 'overlay'. Here is the finished black and white:

2734660380_3b57571c13_b.jpg

Do you like the black and white better? Do you like the grain? I'd like to get better at black and white conversion to get richer textures and shine from th hair. Help me get better at this, I am passionate about it.

Thanks.

Comments