A few from Mt. Rainier

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited August 5, 2008 in Landscapes
These were taken on the Naches Peak Loop Trail, one of the few trails in Mt. Rainier National Park that's snow free right now. The wildflowers are just starting to bloom, it'll be a few weeks before they start hitting peak (I'll be back for that hopefully). There are lakes/tarns, flowers, valleys, mountains (Mt. Adams in the distance and ridiculously close up views of Rainier) all along the trail. I was all by myself on the trail from 6:00PM to dusk last night, and had a smile on my face the entire time. Although, shooting at dawn and dusk on Sunday, and then going to work on 2 hours of sleep probably wasn't that smart, my sleep schedule is pretty much hosed for the next few days :D

Anyway, here are a few of the shots.

345510286_CyvPH-L.jpg

345511441_Laa3j-L.jpg

345517708_wbUoW-L.jpg

The "fog" on this next photo is actually from cars driving along a dusty stretch of highway that's undergoing construction.

345518495_PMwQB-L.jpg

Comments

• TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    Ron these are wings.gif

#2 is amazing

man you sure know how to motivate us!!
    Aaron Nelson
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    All beautiful shots. I agree with Aaron #2 is amazing. The backlighting on the flower is beautiful.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    coscorrosa wrote:

345511441_Laa3j-S.jpg

345517708_wbUoW-S.jpg

Ron,

I really, honestly do not mean to comment on nearly every thread you post but I just cannot get over the scenes you bring back to us. These two in particular are absolutely incredible. eek7.gif

They don't even look real!!

Totally worth the sleep deprivation.
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    i think Ron is going to need to host a get-together-shootout and take us to his secret locations....
    Aaron Nelson
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    I have to agree with Schmoo. 2 and 3 are spectacular. bowdown.gif
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    i think Ron is going to need to host a get-together-shootout and take us to his secret locations....

+1
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    Ron these are wings.gif

#2 is amazing

man you sure know how to motivate us!!

Thanks Aaron! I've been looking forward to wildflower season all year long (last year, I was too late, the year before, I was in a photography funk and wasn't shooting much at all, and the year before that, I didn't know how to use my camera). It doesn't look like I'll be able to take signifcant time off to shoot, but I'm going to take advantage of the weekends (this place in particular is close enough (90 miles) that I could go before or after work on a weekday, and I probably will).

And then there's also the Olympics, and the other mountains in the Cascades (the big ones St. Helens, Adams, Baker, as well as several smaller peaks in the North Cascades), and some places in the Columbia Gorge that have wildflowers. Basically, there's a lifetime worth of locations and I won't be able to get to all of them this year (or even the next several years), but I'll try :D
    edited August 5, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Ron,

I really, honestly do not mean to comment on nearly every thread you post but I just cannot get over the scenes you bring back to us. These two in particular are absolutely incredible. eek7.gif

They don't even look real!!

Totally worth the sleep deprivation.

I don't mind (you commenting or the sleep deprivation) :D

Thanks for the comments, Mt. Rainier is a truly wonderful place. It's hard to describe the feeling of being alone on the trail for 3 hours surrounded by such magnificent landscapes, my work was easy, I just had to make sure the lens cap was off, I could point the camera in any direction and come away with something.
    edited August 5, 2008

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/getaways/39491_hike20.shtml

There you go, secret is out! I did walk the entire loop beforehand (finished about an hour before sunset) so that I could figure out what locations would be best for sunset.
    edited August 5, 2008
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    All beautiful shots. I agree with Aaron #2 is amazing. The backlighting on the flower is beautiful.

Thanks Tom, I love the beargrass, it seems to start a bit earlier than the rest of the flowers. I spent a good ten minutes trying to find the best composition with that flower, I would have preferred that it would be less centered but then the mountain or the sun would have been obstructed by trees.
    edited August 5, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    I have to agree with Schmoo. 2 and 3 are spectacular. bowdown.gif

Thanks Dan! I'm glad they hold up because I was only in a semi-conscious state when I processed them :D