Options

LR2 & CS3 Integration?

Kirk WattsKirk Watts Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
edited August 18, 2008 in Finishing School
Hi All,

I've just started to fiddle with LR2. Currently (prior to LR2), my work flow consisted of bridge, camera raw, then CS3.

Now Adobe are claiming integration with CS3 as a feature, what exactly do they mean? What is Adobe's definition of 'integration' :huh with CS3? I've never used a previous version of lightroom, and 'Edit in Photoshop CS3' results in photoshop opening by nothing happening.

I've ran Adobe updater so should be running the latest camera raw etc.

Many thanks for any advice & apologies if I've missed out something obvious!:thumb

Kirk.

Comments

• Options
    jpljpl Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    The only thing I have noticed is in LR2 you can now open a group of pictures as smart objects, HDR, panorama, or layers. It seems pretty pointless to me though because these options don't work with DNG or NEF files.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    Kirk Watts wrote:
    Hi All,

I've just started to fiddle with LR2. Currently (prior to LR2), my work flow consisted of bridge, camera raw, then CS3.

Now Adobe are claiming integration with CS3 as a feature, what exactly do they mean? What is Adobe's definition of 'integration' eek7.gif with CS3? I've never used a previous version of lightroom, and 'Edit in Photoshop CS3' results in photoshop opening by nothing happening.

I've ran Adobe updater so should be running the latest camera raw etc.

Many thanks for any advice & apologies if I've missed out something obvious!thumb.gif

Kirk.

The main new feature I'm aware of is that you can now open a LR image with all the LR adjustments intact in CS3 without generating an intermediate TIFF file. You just say open in CS3 and it opens up there without any intermediate file being created. You can then save it to any location and filetype from CS3 after you are done editing.

Previously, if your final destination for the edits was a JPEG in another location, you'd have to save that from CS3, then go back and remove the temporary TIFF in LR.

Nothing earth shattering, just now working the way it should.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    jpljpl Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    jfriend: how?

When I right click and go to Edit In then Photoshop CS3 just opening the file isn't an option. I have to convert to TIFF or PSD first.
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    jpl wrote:
    jfriend: how?

When I right click and go to Edit In then Photoshop CS3 just opening the file isn't an option. I have to convert to TIFF or PSD first.

jfriend is correct.

If you're not seeing this behavior, you need to update your copy of Adobe Camera Raw (4.5).
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2008
    Interesting.
    So, to confirm my understanding, you can make as many edits and whatever edits you want in lightroom, then choose the 'edit in photoshop cs3' option, which will then entirely carry over to CS3 to ontinue editing?

See, I've ran adobe updater (which should give me ACR 4.5) and CS3 does indeed open, but CS3 doesn't actually open the image - nothing happens apart from CS3 itself opening... interesting.

I'll double check some stuff tonight. Glad to see this post is clarifying things for some other people too!thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2008
    Kirk Watts wrote:
    So, to confirm my understanding, you can make as many edits and whatever edits you want in lightroom, then choose the 'edit in photoshop cs3' option, which will then entirely carry over to CS3 to ontinue editing?

Yes but now all the Raw processing, all the metadata processing LR ends. You're baking the edits into pixels so you can now work in Photoshop. You've pretty much drawn a line in the sand and have moved from metadata based editing to pixel based editing.
    Andrew Rodney
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2008
    Thanks Andrew!thumb.gif
  • Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    Kirk Watts wrote:

See, I've ran adobe updater (which should give me ACR 4.5) and CS3 does indeed open, but CS3 doesn't actually open the image - nothing happens apart from CS3 itself opening... interesting.

I'll double check some stuff tonight. Glad to see this post is clarifying things for some other people too!thumb.gif
    I recently upgraded to LR2, and for whatever it's worth here are a few observations (based on my own observed behaviors and intensive, need-based review of forums):

1. The ability to edit out of LR in CS3 without automatically creating a big clunky TIFF (that you may forget to delete later on and thus hogs potentially over 20 MB of your hard drive) is terrific, but . . .

2. For me anyway, there are then problems with "Save" out of CS3 back into LR -- specifically, I can't find the file, and have to Save As to desktop and then import back into LR - I have an inquiry into Adobe on this right now.

3. And finally, the experiences of Mac vs. Windows users appears to differ significantly, with Win experiencing a lot more drama and random behavior. If you don't know about them already, check out both the dedicated Adobe forum (you can navigate to it from adobe.com/support) and the independent but very helpful Lightroom Forums (google that).
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 18, 2008
    I had little affection for LR v1, but I must confess that I am definitely beginning to like LR v2. Learning the keyboard commands really helps a lot - CMD+/ brings up an appropriate list of keyboard commands for Libraty, Develop, Print etc. Neat tip to knowthumb.gif ( Be sure and turn on 64bit mode if your box supports it - I find it significantly faster.)

The ability to edit the image parameters, back and forth ( without altering the original file's bits ) and then jump to Photoshop for a final go around for a final image, I find works very nicely in OS X.

When I have finished editing the image in Photoshop, jpg or tiff, I just save it on my hard drive in an appropriate folder, and voila the new file shows up a few seconds later in my Lightroom v2 catalog "automagically", with no further effort on my part. This I do like!! Seems integrated to me.....

I can then compare, side by side, the original file I finished in LR and the later edit from Photoshop side by side in Lightroom. Very nice indeed!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    I had little affection for LR v1, but I must confess that I am definitely beginning to like LR v2. Learning the keyboard commands really helps a lot - CMD+/ brings up an appropriate list of keyboards commands for Libraty, Develop, Print etc. Neat tip to knowthumb.gif (Be sure and turn on 64bit mode if your box supports it - I find in significantly faster.)

The ability to edit the image parameters, back and forth ( without altering the original file's bits ) and then jump to Photoshop for a final go around for a final image, I find works very nicely in OS X.

When I have finished editing the image in Photoshop, jpg or tiff, I just save it on my hard drive in an appropriate folder, and voila the new file shows up a few seconds later in my Lightroom v2 catalog "automagically", with no further effort on my part. This I do like!! Seems integrated to me.....

I can then compare, side by side, the original file I finished in LR and the later edit from Photoshop side by side in Lightroom. Very nice indeed!

Where do you turn on 64 bit mode? Thought this was automatic with installation....

Erich
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2008
    erich6 wrote:
    Where do you turn on 64 bit mode? Thought this was automatic with installation....

Erich

Get Info on the icon in the finder.
    Andrew Rodney
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2008
    erich6 wrote:

Erich
    Your profile doesn't specify Mac or PC, but on Mac you Get Info and there's actually a checkbox in there that would take you to 64 bit from the default of 32 -- I am on a Mac but am by no means a Mac expert, and this is the only interactive Get Info box that I've ever encountered.
  • Options
    erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    KED wrote:
    Your profile doesn't specify Mac or PC, but on Mac you Get Info and there's actually a checkbox in there that would take you to 64 bit from the default of 32 -- I am on a Mac but am by no means a Mac expert, and this is the only interactive Get Info box that I've ever encountered.

Thanks, I have Vista 64bit so maybe it's different....

Erich
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    I had little affection for LR v1, but I must confess that I am definitely beginning to like LR v2. Learning the keyboard commands really helps a lot - CMD+/ brings up an appropriate list of keyboards commands for Libraty, Develop, Print etc. Neat tip to knowthumb.gif (Be sure and turn on 64bit mode if your box supports it - I find in significantly faster.)

I had been using LR 1.x for quite some time, and with the exceptions of some quirks about which I have posted here, I love the LR2 upgrade, but the functionality that you are talking about here was available in v.1.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 18, 2008
    I admitted that I did not like LR v1 very much, maybe because I didn't know how to drive it well enoughne_nau.gif

Parametric editing is beginning to really appeal more and more, even though I still frequently make a pass through CS3 before I am finally done.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    I admitted that I did not like LR v1 very much, maybe because I didn't know how to drive it well enoughne_nau.gif

Parametric editing is beginning to really appeal more and more, even though I still frequently make a pass through CS3 before I am finally done.
    Well I am only hoping to get a Learner's Permit for CS3 one of these days, so thankfully LR 1 did the vast majority of PP tasks that I needed done, and LR 2 goes to a whole 'nother level with the adjustment brush and the gradient tool, which was a complete gift from the beta.

Most experts, such as Matt Kosklowski (sp?) and Scott Kelby, now proclaim that LR can handle 90% of their PP needs. I believe that to be credible as a general matter.