Thoughts on the Sigma 50-500mm F4-6.3 EX DG?

rsi1986rsi1986 Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
edited August 7, 2008 in Cameras
I'm thinking of buying one. Would love to hear from someone that's used one.
Stimulating the economy one lens at a time. :super
Robert A. www.imaginglifestyle.com

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    rsi1986 wrote:

Calling Doctor IT!!!!!!! .......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    I've had that lens for almost 3 years or so and overall, it's been a great lens.

If you want the most versatile supertelephoto for under $1000 bigma is probably my top choice.

Another new sigma to consider is 150-500 OS, it has stabilization and similar optics, especially if you stop down.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited August 5, 2008
    Now my own thoughts:

It would appear that I have the "Bigma" that Dr. It used to own. (It is prior to the DG model.)

Dr. It -> K2C1959 -> ziggy

This lens is a great "value" lens in that it has a range similar to and greater than anything else in its class, and it manages a pretty reasonable price as well.

It is somewhat compromised in the middle range, but does nicely at the extremes. The HSM autofocus motor is very fast and AF accuracy is usually very good. I was very impressed when I took the lens out for the first time and was able to take a fairly long series of sea gull shots and the sequence was mostly in focus.

The lens does not have the sharpness or contrast that the much more expensive top-tier lenses have in this range, but it is very servicable and with a little post-processing it can deliver the goods.

I have not captured anything of interest but that's just because I haven't "seen" anything of interest, and that's just because I haven't tried. I'll probably take some more time this Fall and try a little harder.

I have no intentions of trading or selling this lens and I do have several other lenses in the 500mm category. The versatility of this lens is too good to have it leave my possession.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,881 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    I also have the "Bigma", and it's one of the lenses that will never be sold.

My first shots (all handheld) I did with this lens (on an EOS 300D) can be found here:

http://gspep.smugmug.com/gallery/275455_eeAWC
  • BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    Bigma best value for money lens around. My most used lens...

http://bigal-sa.smugmug.com/Birds

Check out the non-macro galleries here:

http://bigal-sa.smugmug.com/Animals
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    I had this lens and sold it - have regretted that decision ever since!:cry If I had known then what I know now, it would have never left my hands!
  • TelecorderTelecorder Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    Non-DG Version and lovin' it
    rsi1986 wrote:
    For its price point, it's one of the best investments. The new Sig 150-500 is showing some promise but is unclear if it'll be like it's cousin the Sig 170-500 [hard to get good copies]. User reports are somewhat unclear ranging from equal to the Bigma to not so good.

For subjects that are ~250' or closer, the Bigma is a top-notch lens that allows one to zoom backwards whenever the circumstances call for it. When used with good technique, it holds it own...

~225' distant...

136088311_Xmqr7-M.jpg

About 20' distant...

136079243_sa5Z7-L.jpg

Landscape at 50-mm

136110975_opzvK-L.jpg
    Telecorder (Dave)
    Apple Valley, CA
    D50-BIGMA-70-300VRII-35f2D-18-70DX-FZ30
    My SmugMug Image Galleries
    My Nikonian Image Galleries
  • BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    Have a look at these pics in the Wildlife forum taken by Dave Baker with the Bigma.
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    I just got mine last weekend and took it down for test shoot with some friends on Saturday. First off, I love it. I was incredibly impressed with how sharp the images were for a lens with that much range. I was also glad that I ordered a monopod because the lens is an absolute beast. Actually, now I need to purchase a bigger camera bag because it doesn't fit in my Lowepro Nova 4.

One thing that I need to do more testing on is the focus point. On my Nikon D300, I was using 9-point focus. Even with primary subject centered, the focus seemed to lock on another point. You can see what I'm talking about in the photo of my friend's son below - the tip of the surfboard is sharp while his isn't. I shot both continuous and selective focus. I need to try other focus combinations and see if it improves.

Overall, the lens is a steal at a grand. Here are few from the weekend...

346084856_H3jkT-L-1.jpg

346084705_5tkR4-L-1.jpg

346082678_4AyBV-L-1.jpg