Sports Slideshow Music

jerryrjerryr Registered Users Posts: 595 Major grins
edited August 13, 2008 in Sports
Hi !
Just wanted to get some ideas...
I am looking for an upbeat song for a sports theme slideshow (football).
Songs overplayed:
"We are the Champions"
"Are you ready for some football"

Any ideas or thoughts - appreciate it !

- jerryr

Comments

• Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    Stand Up - Trapt
    Inside the Fire - Disturbed
    Juggernaut Sprawl - Adrenelaine Junkies
    Keep Hope Alive - The Crystal Method (one of my personal faves)

I have tons more!
  • Bassett1976Bassett1976 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    jerryr wrote:
    Hi !
    Just wanted to get some ideas...
    I am looking for an upbeat song for a sports theme slideshow (football).
    Songs overplayed:
    "We are the Champions"
    "Are you ready for some football"

Any ideas or thoughts - appreciate it !

- jerryr

How about movie soundtracks? They tend to be a little more "timeless" and don't become as outdated as quickly. I've done a lot of videos (I'm a PE teacher) and have used a lot of John Williams stuff (Star Wars, Jaws, ET, Indiana Jones, etc.) and other movie soundtracks (Jurassic Park, Lord of the Rings, etc.)
    bassett1976.smugmug.com
    www.fitmet.com
  • wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    Stronger – Kayne West
    Get Over It – OK GO
    Conflict – Flobots
    The Impression That I get – Mighty Mighty Bosstones
    Jump Around - House of Pain
    Do What You Want – OK GO
    Bleed It Out - :Linkin Park
    Bulls on Parade – Rage Against the Machine
  • Blaze Z BlazeBlaze Z Blaze Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    Welcome to the jungle is always a crowd pleaser
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FOXCf8pJR0
    -or-
    Welcome to the show - salvia
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeW6bPKNTPI
  • mike_kmike_k Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    You can get the original Monday Night Football theme (officially called "Heavy Action") on iTunes (not the "Are you ready for some football" garbage).

I've also used:

All Star - Smash Mouth
    Crazy Train - Ozzy (I've heard the Pats, and I'm sure a few other teams, use this as an intro song)
    Bad to the Bone - George Thorogood
    Kryptonite - 3 Doors Down

John Williams stuff is always good.

And don't forget about the theme from Rocky ("Gonna Fly Now").
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins Bournemouth, UKPosts: 0 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    This is one of my next projects I will be working on when I do my next slide show. Because of the different aspects within the sport you are photographing (in your sport, the goal, the fouls, penalties, yellow\red card, the blatant dive etc. etc.) I am going to make my own soundtrack by using snippets of known music tracks and then playing them along with a certain group of photo's (hope that make sense).

You can download a free copy of Audacity from

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ (windows, mac and linux version available)

All you do is play your favourite track in audacity, then cut out the section of music you want and save it, then import into your slideshow program, add in the fade in and outs, job done.

How it will turn out I don't know, but it should be fun

Tim
  • jerryrjerryr Registered Users Posts: 595 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    Thank you Thank you Thank you !!! clap.gif

Excellent ideas !!

Ok - I have to hit itunes - I will share the end results !!

appreciate the help !!! jerryr
  • mike_kmike_k Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    draggin wrote:
    This is one of my next projects I will be working on when I do my next slide show. Because of the different aspects within the sport you are photographing (in your sport, the goal, the fouls, penalties, yellow\red card, the blatant dive etc. etc.) I am going to make my own soundtrack by using snippets of known music tracks and then playing them along with a certain group of photo's (hope that make sense).

I agree that this is the way to go. For the photo videos I do I break them into segments, each with a different song - could be just 2 or 3 minutes of the song. It makes the end result more interesting than using a single, longer song.

Good luck jerryr!
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    I'm sorry that I'm asking this question, but is anyone paying for the use for the music used in the sports slideshows? If so, how does one obtain it? Or are people using royalty-free or rights managed tunes?

As sports shooter, we tend to get very angry when other use our photos without permission or without payment. Does the same apply to music?
    edited August 7, 2008
    I must admit I don't, music I use come from my collection (CD or legit download) but I do list the music and musician in the credits at the end of the video. None of the video are made for commercial purposes so it not as though I am trying to make money out of it. It may not be right but that how I do it.

Tim
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    Itunes, Rhapsody, Limewire....it doesn't matter. You pay for the download and you may use it (listening purposes) as you wish. You can't SELL it mind you....but using it to make slideshows? Absolutley! How else would you get the music you want? Royalty free non-lyrical music can only take you so far.
  • CoryJenksCoryJenks Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2008
    Extreme Ways - Moby
    Kashmir - Bond
    Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger - Daft Punk
    Superstar - Lupe Fiasco
    Munich - Editors
    One Shot - O.A.R.
    How Far We've Come - Matchbox 20
    Battle Without Honor or Humanity - Tomoyasu Hotei
    Pictures of You - The Last Goodnight

Just a few that work well.
  • Howard BarlowHoward Barlow Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2008
    Oh, boy! There seems to be a lot to learn about using music. Copyright violation is copyright violation. Giving credit is totally irrelevant, and serves no purpose under law. One does not need to sell another's music to be in violation. Merely playing it in a public place, including a photographer's own studio, can get you in a spider web you can't get out of.

You will find that licensing copyrighted music is much more difficult, and much more expensive, generally prohibitively so, than getting licensing rights to photos.

For the most part, if someone violates our copyrights, they have only us to contend with. And, if we haven't registered our images, we, basically, have no teeth. Music, otoh, is much different. You have not only the artist to deal with, you have ASCAP, BMI, and such. It would do one well to contact those organizations for info. You may be shocked at what you learn.

I'm not an attorney, and none of this is intended as legal advice.
    You don’t pay me by the hour. You pay for the years of hard work that made it possible for me to paint such a picture in only one hour! Pablo Picasso
    edited August 10, 2008
    Oh, boy! There seems to be a lot to learn about using music. Copyright violation is copyright violation. Giving credit is totally irrelevant, and serves no purpose under law. One does not need to sell another's music to be in violation. Merely playing it in a public place, including a photographer's own studio, can get you in a spider web you can't get out of.

You will find that licensing copyrighted music is much more difficult, and much more expensive, generally prohibitively so, than getting licensing rights to photos.

For the most part, if someone violates our copyrights, they have only us to contend with. And, if we haven't registered our images, we, basically, have no teeth. Music, otoh, is much different. You have not only the artist to deal with, you have ASCAP, BMI, and such. It would do one well to contact those organizations for info. You may be shocked at what you learn.

I'm not an attorney, and none of this is intended as legal advice.

I don't have a lot to learn, I know already, What I am doing at the moment is breaking copyright law full stop. I am not alone in doing this, there are millions of people doing the same everyday but just because there are millions doing it, it does not make it right.

When other people take your photographs and pass them off as their own it either to make money for themselves or to give themselves kudos. I am doing neither with the music I use, I give the musician credit out of respect to that musician. You may find my train of though illogical but that's why we are human, we all have different views.

What I do break copyright law I know that, but I will continue to use copyrighted music until I decide that it is no longer worth taking the risk in doing so.

Tim
  • Howard BarlowHoward Barlow Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2008
    Tim,

As long as you understand, and it appears you do. My main point is just as most people think they own all rights to images they buy, the same opinion seems prevalent concerning music. Many photographers do believe by giving a credit to the copyright owner, they are safe and have covered themselves. They have the same "but I bought it, it's mine" mentality.

I just hope people wake up and realize musicians and photographers have a lot in common, as for rights to their works.

I am well aware many photographers, including high profile photographers, use copyrighted music in violation of the law. As I always say, everything is deductible until you get audited, every act is legal until you get caught.

Carry on. :ivar
    You don’t pay me by the hour. You pay for the years of hard work that made it possible for me to paint such a picture in only one hour! Pablo Picasso
  • jerryrjerryr Registered Users Posts: 595 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    Asking the artist for 'permission' to use their song for a specific context
    does not hurt either. I ask the artist for 'permission' to use their song for my Graduate Slideshow and the artist had no problem with it.
    http://www.jrphotosandwebdesign.com/gallery/5406548_QoH8J

Good points everyone - jerryr
  • stromhammerstromhammer Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2008
    Get back to the music
    I like to use stuff by Big Bad Voodoo Daddy and Brian Setzer. It makes a nice change from what gets used by most other people.

As for copyright, I'd like to quote Homer (Simpson that is): "Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." People have been stealing my photos for years and it hasn't landed me in the poor house yet. I like to think of it as bartering. If Brian Setzer wants to use one of my pictures then we'll call it even.

David
    To the man who only has a hammer in the tool kit, every problem looks like a nail. -Abraham Malsow-
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2008
    aktse wrote:
    I'm sorry that I'm asking this question, but is anyone paying for the use for the music used in the sports slideshows? If so, how does one obtain it? Or are people using royalty-free or rights managed tunes?

As sports shooter, we tend to get very angry when other use our photos without permission or without payment. Does the same apply to music?

The same does apply to music. Music licencing is a lot like photo licencing. A photographer wouldn't want someone downloading an image "for personal use" and then using it for a comercial, same goes for music.

The fees can be insane and way too high for "popular" music. I only use royalty-free music that I own the rights to (by buying and keeping the CDs) in any of my productions.
    ~ Lisa
  • StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2008
    specifically, if you are interested in being legal, you want to investigate "Synchronization" licenses.