Need confirmation of my upgrade to 40D!

RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
edited August 7, 2008 in Cameras
Anyone want to help out? :D

Yesterday I bought a lightly used (around 8K clicks) 40D + Grip from someone on fredmiranda.com. $925 before shipping for the 40D body, Grip with AA cartridge, and 2 batteries.

I am upgrading from my XTi. Just looking for others who made this or a similar jump to affirm my decision to make the jump to the 40D!

LoL, thanks everyone!!

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited August 6, 2008
    My Canon 40D is becoming my most "fun" camera with a winning combination of weight and speed and controls and quality images.

I still have 2 - XT/350D bodies that are becoming more relegated to specialty tasks, especially since I now have a bag that holds pretty much everything I need for most any mobile task and built around the 40D.

Just enjoy! :D
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    Thanks ziggy!!

My xTi is going to be relegated to being used as a backup and for those specialty tasks. I know there will be times when I don't want to take my 40D out (sand, salt water, skiing, etc...) At the same time I know I wouldn't be happy with just a point and shoot for those things! I'll also use the XTi for times when I want a different lens on each camera for quick access.
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Thanks ziggy!!

My xTi is going to be relegated to being used as a backup and for those specialty tasks. I know there will be times when I don't want to take my 40D out (sand, salt water, skiing, etc...) At the same time I know I wouldn't be happy with just a point and shoot for those things! I'll also use the XTi for times when I want a different lens on each camera for quick access.

Yep that's what my XTi is doing now. Sitting in my backup bag. 40D is the main camera but it did take me a few months to put the XTi in the back seat.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
    edited August 6, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    Yep that's what my XTi is doing now. Sitting in my backup bag. 40D is the main camera but it did take me a few months to put the XTi in the back seat.

I think the main time I will be switching to the XTi will be if either the 40D fails (god forbid) or if I'm in conditions that I don't want to risk the 40D. Some examples I can think of...skiing, kayaking, at the beach, and other places that have pretty crappy conditions...

Of course, this won't happen until next week when my 40D actually arrives! I hate shipping times! LoL
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    edited August 6, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    I went with the XSi

I had considered that as well. The main things that went into me upgrading to the 40D instead were:

Form factor (40D fits my hands better than the much small Rebel series)
    Better high ISO
    Longer shutter life (rated, of course)
    Better weather sealing (at least some, as opposed to none on the Rebels)
    Faster shooting (for birding, sports, etc...)
    Body durability (the body doesn't have the plasticky feel, at least IMHO)

That being said I certainly think the xSI is a great camera, just not enough of an upgrade from the xTI for me to consider spending the money on it.
  • jrmyrnsmjrmyrnsm Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    I just made the switch from a XTi to a 30D and wouldn't go back. I like the 40D even more but I think I'm gonna upgrade my lenses/flashes before upgrading bodies again but I'm glad I went ahead and got a 30D. You will be happy with your upgrade!thumb.gif
    Georgia based wedding photographer shooting all Fuji and loving every second of it!

My Website My Blog DPChallenge
    edited August 6, 2008
    jrmyrnsm wrote:
    I just made the switch from a XTi to a 30D and wouldn't go back. I like the 40D even more but I think I'm gonna upgrade my lenses/flashes before upgrading bodies again but I'm glad I went ahead and got a 30D. You will be happy with your upgrade!thumb.gif

That's what I wanted to hear! :D:D
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    I upgraded from the very first Digital Rebel (a 300D where I live) to a used 20D soon after the 40D was released. The old 300D was promptly modified for IR-work.

The step from the later rebels to the 40D is probably smaller than my upgrade was (and it is a ruddy huuuuuge difference!), but I'm pretty sure the new camera with prove itself to you in minutes :D
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    My guess is that your 100mm macro lens feels a lot more natural on the 40d, plus the 40d is easier to use if you want to try things out.
  • zoebluezoeblue Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    I love my 40D! It's a great camera and I love the weight of it. I went from shooting with two Canon Elan IIe film cameras to a 20D (which I traded in for the 30D), then a 30D, and now I've got the 40D. Now I'm just waiting for the upgrade to the 5D and whenever that happens, I'll probably have the 30D converted to a dedicated infrared camera.

I like having two cameras, especially when shooting events i.e. weddings, portraits, etc.
    "Life is unchartered territory. It reveals its story one moment at a time." (Leo Buscaglia)

www.zoebluephotography.com