singer/songwriter project pics

f64f64 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited August 7, 2008 in People
First time post. Comments and critiques are appreciated and respected, thanks.

These are promotion pics for this artist. The top one is her latest CD cover. You'll probably see more of her as in my current local, she's pretty much all I have access to. These are all natural light. I rarely use my studio strobes anymore. There's something about studio work that just seems dead to me, or maybe I'm just going through my natural light phase. Natural light just seems more alive. Just my opinion. I'll probably change next week. Thanks for looking.

cover12new.jpg

coverweb1a.jpg

cover2.jpg

#4 Haven't really used this one, but it has a quality I like.
coverst.jpg
Canon XSI, XT, F1, A1,
Mamiya 645 Super
4x5 Calumet

Comments

• ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    I like number 1 the best of them all. It does have a cover shot feeling compare to the other 3. Very nice! thumb.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    Great Photos!
    Is she wearing colored contacts?
    Love the eyes!

Take Care,
    Chuck,
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • f64f64 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    Thanks, she wears contacts but they're not colored. I forgot to mention that the above pics were done with the XT and EF-S 17-85 IS lens. Not that anyone was asking, but I always like to know the gear when I look at photos.

I've been doing this digital photography for a year or so. I find it to be exceptional for color work as the color can be saturated and contrast can be punched up so much more than color film, similar to be what can be achieved on Velvia or 50D; however, I'm not sure the digital realm is matching what I've achieved with B&W film in the traditional darkroom over the last 20+ years. Though, dodging and burning is much more of a pleasure in photoshop for sure. My work is mostly for the web and small prints so the Canon XT works well for that. I'm sure it would work well for larger prints as well. I just don't have much experience with it in that regard. Just got the XSI, we'll see how that goes.
    Canon XSI, XT, F1, A1,
    Mamiya 645 Super
    4x5 Calumet
    edited August 7, 2008
    ShepsMom wrote:
    I like number 1 the best of them all. It does have a cover shot feeling compare to the other 3. Very nice! thumb.gif

Thanks, it was the last one considered for the cover. It's always in the last place you look. :)
    Canon XSI, XT, F1, A1,
    Mamiya 645 Super
    4x5 Calumet
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    I also like #1 the most for a cover. The whites of her eyes appear pink in #4.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    #3 has some nice poetry in it, more suitable for singer/songwriter IMHO. thumb.gif
    FWIW, in all the rest WB is off. ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    #1 is the winner

#3 looks a bit "skeletor" to me.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited August 7, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    #3 has some nice poetry in it, more suitable for singer/songwriter IMHO. thumb.gif
    FWIW, in all the rest WB is off. ne_nau.gif

Yeah, #3 was the original game plan for the cover. Then the art director and artist were really pulling for #1. I relented, but I think they made the best choice. I left the WB up to the art director because she has much more experience with color than I do, and I think it works. I was primarily a B&W guy, so I didn't question her judgement much, other than saying "Are you sure it's not to yellow?!". I did already take a ton of red out of #2. There is still a tinge left. I was really noticing the red in #4 after I posted and your comment provoked me to work on it. Natural light seems to wreak havoc on the white balance. I assume the different color temps in the indirect light just push it to the red side. I'll set it to the shade setting and see what that brings next time.

Before
    coverst.jpg

After
    coverst3.jpg

Better??

Thanks for the help and the comments everybody. It's good to get some fresh eyes especially on this white balance stuff.
    Canon XSI, XT, F1, A1,
    Mamiya 645 Super
    4x5 Calumet
    edited August 7, 2008
    f64 wrote:
    Thanks for the help and the comments everybody. It's good to get some fresh eyes especially on this white balance stuff.
    I actually meant something like this.
    edited August 7, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    I actually meant something like this.

Ha! That's exactly what I got when I applied auto levels! I took one look at it and thought thats way to mega hella cold/blue. Would like to get feed back from other people on both of our corrections though.
    Canon XSI, XT, F1, A1,
    Mamiya 645 Super
    4x5 Calumet
    edited August 7, 2008
    f64 wrote:
    Ha! That's exactly what I got when I applied auto levels! I took one look at it and thought thats way to mega hella cold/blue. Would like to get feed back from other people on both of our corrections though.
    It's all questionable. I understand you were shooting outside, on a hot day, so it's natural to have the face on a reddish site. My primary concern was green in the hair.
    For the future purposes remember the mantra: Use the gray card, Luc! mwink.gif
  • crockettcrockett Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    I know I'm not siding with one hell of photgrapher but I have to agree, that last touch, the photo is just too much blue. However, the hair has improved. I would warm the skin using yellow and this should leave the hair pretty close to where it is. A cross between the original photographers redo and Nikolia's version.
    edited August 7, 2008
    crockett wrote:
    I know I'm not siding with one hell of photgrapher but I have to agree, that last touch, the photo is just too much blue. However, the hair has improved. I would warm the skin using yellow and this should leave the hair pretty close to where it is. A cross between the original photographers redo and Nikolia's version.

Thanks for your input. Does this solve the problem? This is actually good to confer with people that all have different monitors. It comforts me that were all seeing the same problems. It's remarkable that are monitors are that close.

I think this takes the green out of my redo as well as the blue, leaving a warm inviting portrait....hopefully? probably not.

coverstWBCorkeeper2.jpg
    Canon XSI, XT, F1, A1,
    Mamiya 645 Super
    4x5 Calumet
    edited August 7, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    It's all questionable.

I agree. Depnding on the intent, any correction can be servicable.

coverweb1effect1.jpg
    Canon XSI, XT, F1, A1,
    Mamiya 645 Super
    4x5 Calumet
    edited August 7, 2008
    OK, my first was just one-click WB correction. Midday light is always a huge problem, so I admit, a bit more attention was needed. Here's a version with a warmed up face.