Man's best friend?

ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
edited August 8, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
I know this is people's thread, and we don't have a pet specific one, but where else would i put a doggy portrait? :D

Well, dogs are very very close to humans, so i figured, i try here. If anything, please move it where it should go.

Thanks!!

These were taken with one light, i'm just trying to figure out my set up. It seems that more light would have less effect. Am i wrong here?

346774619_vX6jL-M.jpg

346772499_sCEXU-M.jpg

346773901_KT2Gm-L.jpg

346771745_eemuf-M.jpg

346773583_RTRRV-M.jpg

6. This was 3 lights set up.

344523207_aXeE6-M.jpg
Marina
www.intruecolors.com
Nikon D700 x2/D300
Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited August 6, 2008
    Pretty doggy.

I liked the first one. The third is pretty cool too.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    "Well, dogs are very very close to humans"

Where did you come up with such utter nonsense?

Dog are far BETTER than humans.

Sam
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    I just kind of scrolled on down through them and then had to stop and pause at #6... It is very good and I love it. Great job with the lighting too!

(I think the dog looks odd in B & W, though it is probably just me)
  • ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    What a beautiful dog! I love them all except that his chin sort of gets lost on the black. He doesn't look too happy about getting his portrait taken. My doggy runs and hides when I get out the camera. She hates it. That last photo ... WOW ... awesome. (and I want your couch). Great job!!
    LadyTX
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited August 7, 2008
    ShepsMom wrote:
    I know this is people's thread, and we don't have a pet specific one, but where else would i put a doggy portrait? :D

It's cool, Marina. Not to worry. Very expressive shots. Well done. thumb.gif
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    Pretty doggy.

I liked the first one. The third is pretty cool too.
    Thank you Ian!
    Sam : "Well, dogs are very very close to humans"

Where did you come up with such utter nonsense?

Dog are far BETTER than humans.
    I agree Sam, thank you for looking!thumb.gif

heatherfeather: I just kind of scrolled on down through them and then had to stop and pause at #6... It is very good and I love it. Great job with the lighting too!

(I think the dog looks odd in B & W, though it is probably just me)
    Thank you Heather. I wonder what did you find odd about b&w? It's not quiet b&w, it's more of a duotone.

ladytx: What a beautiful dog! I love them all except that his chin sort of gets lost on the black. He doesn't look too happy about getting his portrait taken. My doggy runs and hides when I get out the camera. She hates it. That last photo ... WOW ... awesome. (and I want your couch). Great job!!
    Thank you lady, he loves taking pictures. The minute i walk into studio, he runs in and lies down to pose rolleyes1.gif
    Not a miracle, he knows he'll get a reward after all is done. :D
    Richard:
    It's cool, Marina. Not to worry. Very expressive shots. Well done.
    Thank you Richard. I know you'd understand!! wings.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    Great series! thumb.gif

1. I don't know the look that you were going for but this is a tad sinister. Only nit is the shadow clipping at the mouth. It appears that the jaw is part of the background.

2. Love it.

3. The lighting is incredible. i'm not sure about the composition though headscratch.gif

4. & 5. I like the poses, lighting, and b&w although the contrast might be a little much, making the fur seem hard as opposed to soft if that makes sense.

6. Awesome environmental portrait that makes you feel like you are sitting just across form him. clap.gif

He must be incredibly well behaved to allow you to set up like that. I turn my camera on and my dog hightails it for her upstairs hiding place! rolleyes1.gif
  • jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    Lovely shots of a lovely dog. The second one is my favorite.

Must be nice having a dog that just lies down in the studio. Mine are usually not quite that cooperative, although they do enjoy being photographed.
    edited August 7, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    Great series! thumb.gif

1. I don't know the look that you were going for but this is a tad sinister. Only nit is the shadow clipping at the mouth. It appears that the jaw is part of the background.

2. Love it.

3. The lighting is incredible. i'm not sure about the composition though headscratch.gif

4. & 5. I like the poses, lighting, and b&w although the contrast might be a little much, making the fur seem hard as opposed to soft if that makes sense.

6. Awesome environmental portrait that makes you feel like you are sitting just across form him. clap.gif

He must be incredibly well behaved to allow you to set up like that. I turn my camera on and my dog hightails it for her upstairs hiding place! rolleyes1.gif

Thank you Travis, i'm taking all the points you mentioned into consideration. He is very well behaved, but again, piece of salami might do the trick for any dog Laughing.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    edited August 7, 2008
    jziegler wrote:
    Lovely shots of a lovely dog. The second one is my favorite.

Must be nice having a dog that just lies down in the studio. Mine are usually not quite that cooperative, although they do enjoy being photographed.

Thank you James for your comments! thumb.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
  • DeuceFourDeuceFour Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2008
    Numbers 2 , 4 , and 6 are Amazing!!! Way to go! I love german shepherds, there so eager to please!!