Lake Wenatchee pano, need opinions for crop!

RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
edited August 7, 2008 in Landscapes
I have a space at work that I have been trying to find a decent pano to print out for. The pano I had in mind I wanted to be 42"x12". I finally got a half decent pano (at least for my meager skills!) that I think will fit the bill nicely. My issue is with the crop. If I use the entire pano then at 42" the height would only be just over 11". If I want to get it to 12" high I have to crop off of either the left or right. I'll post the original and both crops. Just wanting some opinions on what I should do!

Thanks!

Original
346894944_mfbiB-L.jpg

Cropping off the left
346894889_H6vRF-L.jpg

Cropping off the right
346894828_qiccd-L.jpg

Crop from the left, right, or not at all?? 2 votes

Keep the original and just have it not as tall as planned...
0% 0 votes
Crop off the left side...
0% 0 votes
Crop off the right side...
100% 2 votes

Comments

• cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    Crop off the right and clone out that big rock. great shot! how many photos? what res are you going to print at?
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    I'd say crop from the bottom to loose the rock on the right and clone out the distracting one in the middle.

Otherwise a very nice Pano!

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    Hmm, thanks for the suggestions! I hadn't even thought of cloning out the rock. I don't know which would look better, trying to clone out the rock on the right, or cropping it out.

As far as the rock in the middle goes I will clone that one out.

What do you guys think about the crop though? I mean as far as trying to get the v in the mountains centered? To do that I have to crop off of the right, but the right side has some very interesting clouds. I suppose those clouds aren't rea;;y balanced by the left side so maybe it would be better to crop to get the mountains v in the middle. That would also get rid of the log (not a rock) in the bottom right hand corner.

I have plenty of pixels to work with, as this was a 10 or 11 shot pano of vertical shots. I plan on printing it 12"x42".
    edited August 7, 2008
    For me cropping from the bottom to just clear the large rock on right would UN- Center the main image and make things, overall, more dynamic! (Rule of thirds).thumb.gif

Don
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    42X10 off the bottom

346894944_mfbiB-Lnotmine.jpg
    edited August 7, 2008
    DonRicklin wrote:
    For me cropping from the bottom to just clear the large rock on right would UN- Center the main image and make things, overall, more dynamic! (Rule of thirds).thumb.gif

Don

Maybe I'm not understanding.

The center of the V in the mountains is to the left of center in the entire image. I need to keep as much of the height as possible, since the image is already wider than I need it to be. (if I printed it as is 12" high it would be 45" wide. I need it to be 42" wide.) This is why if I am cropping I would do it proportinally from both the bottom and right side, keeping the aspect ratio. This is going to move the V of the mountains toward center.

Or were you talking about un-centering the water/land line? Like I said, I really don't want to lose any of the vertical space if I can help it. I guess what I'm really asking is, does the V of the mountains look better off-centered to the left, or should I crop off of the right enough to center the mountain V, whichw ould also get rid of the log to the right.

Thanks for the help and discussion everyone!
    edited August 7, 2008
    cj99si wrote:
    42X10 off the bottom

346894944_mfbiB-Lnotmine.jpg

Seeing this, I do like the crop. Getting rid of the waves eliminates some distraction too. I would need to do it slightly different so that it came out 42x12 isntead of 42x10.
    edited August 7, 2008
    What does 42x12 with crop from left of latest crop do? (Leave bottom crop and loose left side to get to 42x12)????????

Don
    edited August 7, 2008
    DonRicklin wrote:
    What does 42x12 with crop from left of latest crop do? (Leave bottom crop and loose left side to get to 42x12)????????

Don

I suppose this is another option. Since the left side of the shot is pretty empty and a lot of dead space, if I crop that out it would make the V even more off centered, which would make it seem like I meant to do that! LoL