Call for ideas: punk rock band shoot

urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
edited August 11, 2008 in People
I'm doing a promo shoot for a band this Saturday. They're very quirky, experimental instrumental rock band, and I really want to do something out there. Not cheesy. I have some great, urban locations (maybe will post them tomorrow if I can go shoot tonight) just no thoughts really on how to group them or approach in general. These are the kind of guys that would love to do a shoot in a produce section if they could. Emo looking but with very dry, active senses of humour.

If you have any examples, or can put me in the direction of some great band photography, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Oh and Ill be shooting their live gig next week, so I have that to look forward to, too! :clap
Canon 5D MkI
50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers

Comments

• anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    I'm doing a promo shoot for a band this Saturday. They're very quirky, experimental instrumental rock band, and I really want to do something out there. Not cheesy. I have some great, urban locations (maybe will post them tomorrow if I can go shoot tonight) just no thoughts really on how to group them or approach in general. These are the kind of guys that would love to do a shoot in a produce section if they could. Emo looking but with very dry, active senses of humour.

If you have any examples, or can put me in the direction of some great band photography, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Oh and Ill be shooting their live gig next week, so I have that to look forward to, too! clap.gif

I have only done a few live sessions- nothing posed. For punk I would try to do 2 things.

find one location that fits- like some serious graffiti or downtrodden abandoned house/building

find another that they totally are out of place. You mentioned produce- how about a library- boutique store- an Ikea or something like that?

Look forward to seeing what you come up with
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    anwmn1 wrote:
    I have only done a few live sessions- nothing posed. For punk I would try to do 2 things.

find one location that fits- like some serious graffiti or downtrodden abandoned house/building

find another that they totally are out of place. You mentioned produce- how about a library- boutique store- an Ikea or something like that?

Look forward to seeing what you come up with
    +2 on both suggestions. Either matching (put them all in a large dumpster bin) or conflicting (a cathedral, or museum, or palace, etc.)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    +2 on both suggestions. Either matching (put them all in a large dumpster bin) or conflicting (a cathedral, or museum, or palace, etc.)

dumpster bin, eh? Guess you don't like punk kids! rolleyes1.gif

Yeah, I am starting to think we need to sneak in the mall and do some PJ shots of them at the Nordstrom makeup counter. :lynnsite
    Canon 5D MkI
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    Property Release
    Be careful where it's used because if it's something recognizable you don't want to get caught without a property release. One of my early photo teachers sold an image to a soft drink company of a house with a red front door. The street number was on it and it was taken from the street but he and the soft drink company paid in court big time.

I've seen some really good urbanscapes from you, Lynne. I can see them in an old fashioned beauty shop with the bee bonnet hair dryers for some reason.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    Lynne, I've been poking around Joey Lawrence's site lately because of his article in a recent Rangefinder, and I have to say I really enjoy his band photos. They're under Commercial > Music on his site: www.joeyl.com His Silverstein image with the panda umbrella is very quirky. :giggle A font of inspiration if nothing else. thumb.gif
    edited August 7, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    dumpster bin, eh? Guess you don't like punk kids! rolleyes1.gif
    can't say I do mwink.gif
    Yeah, I am starting to think we need to sneak in the mall and do some PJ shots of them at the Nordstrom makeup counter. :lynnsite
    Mall? eek7.gif Fugget about it, you won't last 5 minutes with anything larger than compact p&s, and, as Kathy said, you won't be able to use it in production without a proper property release, which you will find rather hard to get. deal.gif
    edited August 7, 2008
    ChatKat wrote:
    Be careful where it's used because if it's something recognizable you don't want to get caught without a property release. One of my early photo teachers sold an image to a soft drink company of a house with a red front door. The street number was on it and it was taken from the street but he and the soft drink company paid in court big time.

I've seen some really good urbanscapes from you, Lynne. I can see them in an old fashioned beauty shop with the bee bonnet hair dryers for some reason.

Beebonnet idea is brilliant! Like it!

I originally poo-poohed the grocery store idea b/c I just knew it would call too much attention and there's virtually no chance to pull permission to do that. I guess I thought malls would be a little less suspect. Either way, this part of the shoot is definitely secondary to the outdoor location shoot/headshots. I have a very decrepit/urban location in mind I've wanted to shoot for AGES just could never sell anyone on it b/c it isn't a "destination" like the canal or whathaveyou. I still don't know how to pose/work with them there, though!

Thanks Kathy!

Oh and I think I get an award for the most / s in one post. rolleyes1.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
  • BadMonkeyBadMonkey Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    For me Punk rock always brings to mind Sid and Nancy and a grime ridden street in England, perhaps one of the red phone booth stuff to the brim with Punk Rockers!! He he.

Good Luck,
    BM

urbanaries wrote:

Oh and Ill be shooting their live gig next week, so I have that to look forward to, too! clap.gif
    edited August 7, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Lynne, I've been poking around Joey Lawrence's site lately because of his article in a recent Rangefinder, and I have to say I really enjoy his band photos. They're under Commercial > Music on his site: www.joeyl.com His Silverstein image with the panda umbrella is very quirky. :giggle A font of inspiration if nothing else. thumb.gif
    Nice linky, thank you for sharing! thumb.gif
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    Instead of big, commercial stores (or malls), do you know any local mom-and-pop joints? They may be more personable and willing to sign a release for the implied publicity. For example, there's a fantastic old-fashioned ice cream shop near me that's locally owned and would be great for some quirky fun for a shoot. I'd try to seek out something like that in your area. thumb.gif
    edited August 7, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Instead of big, commercial stores (or malls), do you know any local mom-and-pop joints? They may be more personable and willing to sign a release for the implied publicity. For example, there's a fantastic old-fashioned ice cream shop near me that's locally owned and would be great for some quirky fun for a shoot. I'd try to seek out something like that in your area. thumb.gif

That's a definitely good idea. thumb.gif
    Just give them a nice print or two later, and who knows, they may ask you to showcase your work there and start referring you new customers...deal.gif
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:

Oh my ... that's some awesomenesssss bowdown.gif
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    I am also paying some close attention here. I have been in talks recently with a guy about doing some artwork for his band and another music project he is involved with.

Lynne this should be a good fit for you. Your everyday work is often edgy and fun. I can't wait to see your approach to processing them.
  • crockettcrockett Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    My take on it. A bit different from everyone.

Let the band lead in this case. Being on the fringe of this kind of life style many years ago when I was in college, one thing I clearly recall is that these types never lack creative and different thinking, especially musicians.

I would ask them to devise 3 different scenarios (laying down some ground rules on their terms, like shooting inside the county jail probably won't fly, etc.). Of course have a backup plan, but my guess, you end up having a great session and it evolves from an idea that they presented to you.

Also, play off their almost guaranteed sense of adventure. Push it really hard doing things you'd normally never do. Make a list of ideas if you have to. Getting a woman to stand on her head during a formal portrait session can be a pain, awkard and usually doomed for failure. Getting a bunch of punk rock band members to do it....it'll happen so fast you won't have your lens changed out before they're all in position.

A photographers dream.
    edited August 8, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:

awesome link and ideas......thanks, Kerry! The main obstacle is we will be doing these late Saturday evening, so a lot of mom and pops are in bed...Laughing.gif! But I'll definitely be sharing what we come up with. This thread is full of great feedback! You guys rock!!!! drums.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
  • davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    Ditto here. When you let the artist help pick then there is already a buy-in for the images shot. They will know many more places than you (or me) for places and will likely know the folks there.

Works for me everytime.

Good luck and post some results!

Cheers,
    David

crockett wrote:
    My take on it. A bit different from everyone.

Let the band lead in this case. Being on the fringe of this kind of life style many years ago when I was in college, one thing I clearly recall is that these types never lack creative and different thinking, especially musicians.