Options

First time as 2nd at Wedding

PhilCollumPhilCollum Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
edited August 8, 2008 in Weddings
It's been a while since I've been able to post anything, but I promise its been for good reason: I've been very busy lately on several projects! :thumb It's been a good couple of months, albeit a busy one.

But I'm just wrapping up a few things and thought I'd get caught up on sharing some of the projects with you. The first images I'll share come from my first "real job" as a 2nd photographer at a wedding. These photos were taken two months ago, and I've done some more since.

This was an outdoor wedding in the middle of the bright afternoon sun. The lighting situation was difficult, to put it best! But being 2nd was a heck of a lot of fun! :D I actually think I'll wind up enjoying being the 2nd way more than being the 1st. It allowed me far more flexibility for being creative with my images, and without all the pressure of assuring formal photos come out as promised. :)

Anyway, here are a few of the final images. As always, comments and especially criticisms are greatly appreciated!!

#1: Getting ready with the groom and groomsmen. The entire wedding was in a public park setting in eastern San Diego. So the groomsmen got ready in one of the plain public restrooms made up of flat concrete and cinderblock... not the most attractive background in the world...:dunno
320620620_xWCgW-M.jpg

#2: Still getting ready in the same cinderblock bathroom...
325174518_B4dtE-S.jpg

3. Waiting for the bride to arrive.
325174848_XDkz2-S.jpg

4. Sneaking up for the first meeting of the bride and groom on their wedding day.
320621531_zqkmP-M.jpg

6. A happy meeting.
325174959_GSmEn-S.jpg

7. ... a very long happy meeting...
320621880_u2ngv-S.jpg

8. Ceremony
320624393_e2RtE-S.jpg

9. My take during a few of the formals
325175271_LF7bH-S.jpg

10. One more formal perspective.
327874738_YhrNw-M.jpg

11. First dance? Who cares about a first dance?!?
325175624_pL7Ps-M.jpg

12. A touching moment listening to your sister sing a love song in your honor.
320627999_fda82-M.jpg

13. Father-daughter dance.
320630412_eePSA-S.jpg

Thanks for looking!
Phil Collum
Phil Collum Photography
San Diego, CA, USA
Equipment list in my profile

Comments

• Options
    edited August 7, 2008
    D'oh!
    11doh.gif

I just saw there was a new Weddings forum. Can one of the moderators move me? Thanks.
    Phil Collum
    Phil Collum Photography
    San Diego, CA, USA
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    I like what the emotion captured in all.
    I like what you did with #2.

2, 11, and 12 are my favorites! Great moments and angles I think! thumb.gif
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    Number 11 is too cute!! It brought smile to my face. #12 is a great emotional shot, they should love it!!
    They should love all of them for that matter! Nicely done! clap.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    yoyomayoyoma Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    Wow, 11 is really great -- thats the kind of shot that will set you apart as a wedding photographer
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2008
    Some of my favorites:

#4 - great example of being in the right place at the right time. Really love the expression on her face!

#11 - Of course and for all the reasons already posted!

#12 - I'll probably be one of the few to say so, but this is a very special shot - love the emotion, a very touching image.
  • Options
    andyrooandyroo Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2008
    Best I would say is 11,

Did you use any type of lighting aids during the shoot? Reflectors etc? My first wedding gig is in just under a month, looking forward to it, little nervous at the same time, though I always seem to come through in the end..

My only remark, which is totally honest, perhaps a little less diffuse glow on the images would be nice? I agree it is indeed a lovely filter, but too much can ruin a photo, again, I think the shots you have used it on it works well, it would work even better if toned down somewhat. I say this now and you watch, all of my wedding shots will have diffuse glow at 100% rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2008
    Wow, thanks for your comments and kind words!
    Phil Collum
    Phil Collum Photography
    San Diego, CA, USA
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2008
    andyroo wrote:
    Best I would say is 11,

Did you use any type of lighting aids during the shoot? Reflectors etc? My first wedding gig is in just under a month, looking forward to it, little nervous at the same time, though I always seem to come through in the end..

Thanks Andy. The first two shots (indoor) were using natural light (from large upper windows that you can actually see in #1), with some fill from my Sto-Fen-covered on-camera flash. All the rest were natural light (although I may have added a slight amount of direct fill on a couple of them... not sure about that without checking EXIF...).
    andyroo wrote:
    My only remark, which is totally honest, perhaps a little less diffuse glow on the images would be nice? I agree it is indeed a lovely filter, but too much can ruin a photo, again, I think the shots you have used it on it works well, it would work even better if toned down somewhat. I say this now and you watch, all of my wedding shots will have diffuse glow at 100% rolleyes1.gif

HAHAhahahah I'm glad you mentioned the amount of diffusion, and I tend to agree with you. I already provided these images to the primary photographer, so I haven't looked at these images for several weeks. But after being away from them for a while and posting them here, it occurred to me that I used a little too much diffusion (mainly on 9 and 12). I'm glad you agree. I can always take it down a notch for my own portfolio!

Thanks again. :D
    Phil Collum
    Phil Collum Photography
    San Diego, CA, USA