Options

PS/CS3 Design a Post Card Business Card

redhaltonredhalton Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
edited August 7, 2008 in Finishing School
Forgive me if this is the wrong forum or a really stupid question(s) :D

I want to design in PS CS3 a postcard size business card.

Do I design it and when I'm finished, resize to 4 x 6 inches and send off to the printer?

Are there templates I can use so my artwork is printed on front and the back has textual information?

Do I design to the edge or do I leave a cushion around the PC?

You see, I'm exposing myself...I really have no clue!

Thanks
Bob

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    redhalton wrote:

Do I design it and when I'm finished, resize to 4 x 6 inches and send off to the printer?

Are there templates I can use so my artwork is printed on front and the back has textual information?

Thanks
    Bob

Bob,
    1) if you know for a fact that 4"x6" at 300 dpi is your target I suggest you start exactly with that.
    2) samples of buiness cards are abundant on the web. Use any of the business card pritning sites for basic designs, google for buiness card templates, etc.
    3) Ususally there is a certain "bleeding" area, so I'd suggest to not up any important info closer than 1/4" to the edge.
    HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    Usually the printer you choose to go with can and will provide a file to use that have bleed areas and exact dimensions. (ie Mpix.com)
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    redhalton wrote:

Thanks
    Bob

Bob,
    The best way to go about it (that is if the printer you choose doesn't have a decent template to give) is to start a new file at 300 dpi, measuring 4.5x6.5 inches. The extra half inch is the bleed area Nikolai was refering to. It's the ensure that if the cutter your printer uses is off you won't get a white line at the edge of your card.

Place a guide an eigth of an inch in on each side. This will be your actual 4x6 card. As Nikolai said, try to keep important text about a quarter of an inch away from any of these guides. That way if the cutter is indeed off, it won't crowd your text too much to the edge. For an image, make sure it "bleeds" all the way to the outer bounds of the document not just the guides. If you don't want it to bleed, be sure to keep the image a quarter of an inch from the guides as well.

If the printer doesn't have a front and back template to give you, simply do a second file with the same dimensions and guides as the first. Label them something simple (ie. front and back) when you send them and your printer should be able to figure it out (if not don't use them!! rolleyes1.gif).

These are of course generalities... If you can it's best to choose a printer and ask them for a template/what their technical specifications are. But if you just can't choose, or you're like me and just want to start without figuring that part out yet, a file like this should give you a great start and be easily modified once you do choose a printer.

Hope this helps!!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    redhaltonredhalton Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    Thanks for the great input...I think I'm well on my way now.

Cheers
    Bob