Options

Problems with Adobe Bridge

studio12cstudio12c Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
edited August 17, 2008 in Finishing School
My Adobe Bridge has been crashing on a regular basis. While the program is running it stops and a message pops up saying "Windows has detected a problem and shuts down Bridge." Bridge closes and when I restart the same message will pop up. There does not seem to be any help on the adobe website, any suggestions.

Comments

• Options
    edited August 7, 2008
    I am running Vista on a notebook
  • Options
    OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    Did you try this suggestion from the Adobe forums to delete your preferences?

Bridge used to crash on me all the time when I first upgraded to CS3, I'm pretty sure this is what worked for me as well. No problems with crashes since then.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited August 7, 2008
    I'm running Vista Home 64, and get crashes as well. However, they're very infrequent.
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2008
    OffTopic wrote:
    Did you try this suggestion from the Adobe forums to delete your preferences?

Bridge used to crash on me all the time when I first upgraded to CS3, I'm pretty sure this is what worked for me as well. No problems with crashes since then.

thanks Lori: I've tried a number of things over the last couple of weeks including dumping the cache however the fix only works for a day (sometime hours) and the problem returns. I paid big buck for CS3 and I 'm starting to think I should try and Get my CASH back. I tried your suggestion and it has worked so far this morning, but it's early.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited August 8, 2008
    thanks Lori: I've tried a number of things over the last couple of weeks including dumping the cache however the fix only works for a day (sometime hours) and the problem returns. I paid big buck for CS3 and I 'm starting to think I should try and Get my CASH back. I tried your suggestion and it has worked so far this morning, but it's early.

How much memory are you running with? Bridge likes to feel comfortable, so if you have a bunch of other programs open at the same time it could cause problems. Are you seeing crashes with other programs as well?

Before trying to return it, I would uninstall and re-install it. CS3/Bridge works well for me on a 3GB XT notebook, though I have had cache corruption problems a couple of times.
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2008
    I have been running Vista for more than a year and I recall having an initial problem with Bridge crashing. I believe that everything was fixed by re-installing Bridge and updating to the current release.

I am running Vista Ultimate, 4GB RAM (Vista 32-bit sees 3) and CS3/Bridge runs with no problems. Security access is Full for all users.
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2008
    As I suspected the fix Lori suggested worked for about one hour. The same message pops up and Bridge closes. I did find a note on the adobe website about dual core processors causing a problem. Has anyone had any experence with this.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited August 8, 2008
    As I suspected the fix Lori suggested worked for about one hour. The same message pops up and Bridge closes. I did find a note on the adobe website about dual core processors causing a problem. Has anyone had any experence with this.

My machine is dual core, but I'm running XP.
  • Options
    AnthonyAnthony Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    My machine is dual core, but I'm running XP.

Whilst I cannot offer a solution, I can confirm that Bridge CS3 version 2.1.1.9 runs okay on my dual core machine using Vista 32-bit Ultimate.

Anthony.
  • Options
    OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2008
    Sorry that fix didn't work. ne_nau.gif

Don't know what else to suggest if you've updated to 2.1.1.9, manually purged and deleted the central cache, and deleted your preferences, I'm out of suggestions.

Are you maybe trying to navigate to another folder while Bridge is still generating thumbnails? Bridge will frequently crash if you do that. Whenever the wheel is spinning you need to just leave it alone until it's done.
  • Options
    davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    Bridge croaks on me one in a while too. Generally when I have 100 images open in PS CS3 and I'm on some deadline. :-)

Keep the Task Manager open and watch what it is working on. Also keep an eye on pagefile use. Some services will hog resources when you don't want them to, like back up software, or image indexing services, or Firefox!
  • Options
    cdonovancdonovan Registered Users Posts: 724 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2008
    My own little bridge problem. I try to open it, but before it has time to start up I get an error message saying

The instruction at (whole bunch of numbers) refrenced memory at (whole bunch of numbers) The memory could not be "read"

Click Ok to terminate
    Click Cancel to debug the program.

I've tried both options many times....I tried to delete my preferences as well. I reinstalled CS3, but I don't know if that is Just photoshop, or if it is also bridge. I can't find Bridge in the list of program files when I use the control panel to list all programs on the computer

I'm Running xp

I've tried so many #$%#$ options and the customer support center was of no help at all.:cry