Thoughts, Opinions...???

TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
edited August 9, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hi Anyone and Everyone...

This is one of the shots I was thinking of as an entry....but I'm not sure....Any thoughts? I really really suck at picking a photo for contests...Grrrr...reminds me of when I was in school...I was NEVER any good at tests...I guess the stress...but I aced it when I was given the test orally....go figure...

This one I was thinking of calling "Framed" (Not even sure the title is good..LOL)

347373313_BnzKK-L.jpg

Note: right out of the camera except for a crop.
You're only as good as your next photo....
One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote

Comments

• pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2008
    I like the photo. My only criticism is that the people look very red. Is that because of the lighting?

You could have a try cropping off the roof. I did it using a piece of paper against the screen and it seemed to put a whole new spin on the image as it looks almost as the people are stuck in some kind of video game.

Good luck.
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2008
    The red lighting is the lighting under the roof...Look at the Beams, that is why the people look red. Since we are doing primary...Red is a primary..Laughing.gif

Ha Ha. I left the roof, cuz it also has primary color "green"....

Thanks for taking the time Pemmet...It is truly appreciated.

Peace
    Donna
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2008
    It's a cool photo, but in terms of the challenge, the green and the red you have in it are too subtle. I didn't even notice them until you pointed them out. The blue is pretty obvious. But I know you can do better. mwink.gif What about some daytime beach shots? deal.gif
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2008
    Hey DP, I like the shot but not sure how much for the challenge. headscratch.gif I've been struggling with the same thing myself as far as meeting the "primary color" theme. It would be so much easier if it was "vivid color" instead. rolleyes1.gif I think this photo meets the requirments but I've seen better photos in your portfolio that would be stronger contenders.

If you kept it, you can title it "I see red people". wings.gif
    edited August 8, 2008
    Hey Linda and JT...Thanks for your comments....ALWAYS appreciated. I'm sort of at a "dry zone" right now....or is that called a "Fried Brain Stem"??? My mind seems to have gone AWOL...lol

JT that is tooooo funny...I see Red People....(ADORE IT)!!

Donna
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2008
    FWIW, I like the shot. It is intriguing and evocative. I too tried lopping off the green roof and I think it makes the photo stronger. It would also be interesting in a square format. Whether you enter it or not, it is a neat photo.

Virginia

Email
    edited August 8, 2008
    Thanks Gina....your comments are appreciated:

So I cropped the photo in 3 different versions....What does anyone think now if anything????

Crop A

347842460_bx5bG-M-2.jpg

Crop B
    347373313_BnzKK-M-1.jpg

Crop c
    347843395_uLisz-M-1.jpg
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2008
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2008
    Uhoh....I like Version B. :uhoh rolleyes1.gif

There's a pattern of rectangles in Version B that looks nice. The tighter "B" crop plays that up a bit better than the "C" crop does.
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2008
    I'm no help - I like A and B, each for different reasons. ne_nau.gif

There is a stylized cleaness about version A but I miss seeing the red lights above the people. They help exlain the red skin and also provide a nice additional color accent to the overall photo.

In version B, I like the red lights showing but not the two bits of sky to the upper right, which I find distracting.

Have you tried the classic 10x4 pano crop on the original?

Whatever happens in the competition, I still think it is a neat shot!

Virginia

Email
    edited August 9, 2008
    Thanks Gina, your comments pretty much are on the same flow as me....

Thanks to EVERYONE that commented.

Thanks for taking the time to express your thoughts, I am always appreciative!!

But being the female that I am...I went for something different..:D ne_nau.gif

and I posted it already....

BEST Wishes to ALL !! GOOD LUCK