Ok macro gurus. Help me out...

brjphotobrjphoto Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
edited August 9, 2008 in Holy Macro
I would like to start taking some macro photos but I need a little direction.

I'm going to list my gear and hopefully someone can tell me how to use it..

I just don't how to use it properly to get the best (highest magnification) macro shots.

I have:
Camera Bodies:
.....D700
.....D200
Lenses:
.....50mm f1.8 AF
.....55mm f2.8 Micro (Manual Focus)
Adapters:
.....Nikon Bellows Focusing Attachment PB-6
.....Nikkor BR3 Extension Tube
.....Nikkor BR2 Reversing Ring

A lot of this stuff has been picked up at yard sales and auctions over the years. The bellows is in amazing condition. It is really a solid unit (and it wasn't cheap).

Obviously none of this stuff lends itself to field work. I'm not going to be running around chasing butterfiles with a bellows and a reversed 50mm, but I would like to try to studio work.

Any ideas? What would my ideal setup be? Or should I just sell the lenses and the adapters and buy a 105mm f/2.8 VR?

Thanks!

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2008
    Think this is a case of suck it and see- I'd try the 55mm macro lens on the bellows and see how that goes. You are probably going to find the focus point will be fairly close to the front of the lens (ie 1 to 3"). Main problem will be lighting I suspect. Remember that though the DOF will be thin when you go over 1:1 magnification you don't want to use apertures too small (I'd keep it at F11 or wider). I'm afraid I'm not familiar with nikon stuff but assume you will lose control of the aperture when using bellows so will have to manually change it.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2008
    Think this is a case of suck it and see- I'd try the 55mm macro lens on the bellows and see how that goes. You are probably going to find the focus point will be fairly close to the front of the lens (ie 1 to 3"). Main problem will be lighting I suspect. Remember that though the DOF will be thin when you go over 1:1 magnification you don't want to use apertures too small (I'd keep it at F11 or wider). I'm afraid I'm not familiar with nikon stuff but assume you will lose control of the aperture when using bellows so will have to manually change it.

Thanks Brian, I know nothing about Nikon gear ne_nau.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin