Social Ants and Water drops

Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
edited August 10, 2008 in Holy Macro
Hello here are few photos of small ants farming aphids. The water drops are not from rain but they were extracting from these bugs or perhaps from stem of the plant. Last year same bugs appeared but larger ants were on duty to farm them. I exactly don't know what they are and what they are up to and why they do that i hope someone can explain that :D

347675248_zw9aq-L.jpg

347676050_utaao-L.jpg

347676933_UP7rj-L.jpg

Shot with Sony H5 with reverse 50mm
Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery

Comments

• GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited August 8, 2008
  • teamracephotosteamracephotos Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2008
    Great images!
    I think the ants are feeding off the Aphids. I captured some ants doing this last year, but no where as good as these.
    The one on the right in #2 looks like its carrying a cut diamond. MMhttp://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/10/071009212548.htm
    “I love not man the less, but Nature more.”
    — Lord Byron
  • philiphutsonphiliphutson Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2008
    Hello here are few photos of small ants farming aphids. The water drops are not from rain but they were extracting from these bugs or perhaps from stem of the plant. Last year same bugs appeared but larger ants were on duty to farm them. I exactly don't know what they are and what they are up to and why they do that i hope someone can explain that :D

Here is a good article on why and how they do it. Basically they farm them like livestock and then milk them for the sugary substance they (aphids) excrete.
    -Philip
    If you want to see paradise simply look around and see it.
    -Willy Wonka
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2008
    Wonderful shot Awais :).
    They are not farming aphids here but I think mealy bugs, but it's the same type of thing. The bugs feed on the sap which is high in sugar and low in proteins and they then excete excess sugar which the ants pickup. They seem to do it on demand from the ant when the ant tickles them with it's antennae. In return the ants protect them from predators and move them to new pastures when it gets overcrowded.
    Brian V.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2008
    Ahan thank you Brian for insight ! amazing world
    And thanks everyone for looking thumb.gif

Two more from today
    348101174_a2eu4-L.jpg

348099997_yBUQk-L.jpg
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2008

Nice going there Awais, I personally have not seen Ants with the droplets before, I have seen the Aphids with the droplets but not that Ants.

Well done! clap.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2008
    Hi Awais,

All I can say is: A M A Z I N G !!!!!! Awesome work!!

Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

Artistically & Creatively Challenged
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2008
    Thank you Skippy and Chuck ! thumb.gif

My Gallery