Voodoo in the South

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited August 8, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
Those of you who read the book or saw the movie of the same name ( Midnight In The Garden of Good And Evil ) may understand and appreciate this. The book detailed life and death, as a few experienced it, in Savannah, GA during the later 70's and early 80's. It was a true accounting of an intriguing story, the characters were real, and the dark world of Voodoo was explored.

In 1981, Jim Williams, one of the principal figures, shot and killed a young man, Danny Hansford. While both men were members of the gay community, the story was much more focused upon factors other than their sexual preferences. The world of the occult was brought to center stage. Outside of parts of Louisiana, the area around Savannah probably is host to more practitioners of this practice than any other part of the U.S.....I am told.

Danny Hansford is buried in a large cemetery in Savannah. These pictures are of his grave site. They are significant for one primary reason: after being buried for 27 years, his grave marker is still being adorned with baubles of all kinds....beer bottles, rocks, little cars, whole cigarettes, etc....all left to either comfort him, appease him, or to speed his delivery to who knows where. These are all current offerings. The cemetery maintainence staff is continually having to remove such things as it violates their policy of having them left behind.

347683670_78iVh-XL.jpg

[IMG][/img]http://black-mamba.smugmug.com/photos/347683714_rCaFv-XL.jpg

347683714_rCaFv-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Dramatapix®Dramatapix® Registered Users Posts: 430 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2008
    Check out Elvis's grave... since 1977!!!

450_102_1612.JPG
    My Gear: D200, D80, 50 f/1.4, 28-75 f/2.8, 55-200 f/4-5.6, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, 70-200 f2.8, (4) White Lightning Ultra 1200's, SB600, (2) Lightspheres, 17" Macbook Pro, 24" Apple Imac, Thinkpad T42, Epson R-260, PSCS2, Adobe Lightroom, Apple Aperture, PS Elements 4