D200

TwistedJTwistedJ Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
edited August 10, 2008 in Cameras
need some reviews. I'm reading is noisy and not sharp as other Nikons. Feedback please. Hubby is waiting..........:thumb

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited August 8, 2008
    TwistedJ wrote:
    need some reviews. I'm reading is noisy and not sharp as other Nikons. Feedback please. Hubby is waiting..........thumb.gif

The Nikon D80 and D200 share a very similar imager. They are identical in most respects except for the D200 having more channels to strip the information off and send to the image processor.

The way that images are procesed appears to be different between the two cameras and the D80, being of more recent design, has visibly better high-ISO JPGs.

RAW images are going to process very similarly if not identically.

Again, reread the list of differences:

"I too recommend that you consider the D200. Compared to the D80 it offers the following advantages:

It has a higher shooting rate (5 fps vs 3 fps), a higher shutter speed (1/8000th vs 1/4000th), much more information in the viewfinder (especially the ISO), the D200 meters with older manual focus lenses, the D200 has mirror-lock-up, faster flash sync, shorter shutter lag, much deeper shot buffer and lastly the shutter is supposed to be twice as durable in the D200 vs the D80.

Then again, the D80 is lighter and shoots more images with the same battery. The D80 also has slightly better high-ISO JPGs. In RAW they are very similar however.
    "

If you want even better noise control at high-ISO, then you must either choose a more recent model Nikon, the D300, D3 or D700, or wait to see if something is announced in about a month.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    The Nikon D80 and D200 share a very similar imager. They are identical in most respects except for the D200 having more channels to strip the information off and send to the image processor.

The way that images are procesed appears to be different between the two cameras and the D80, being of more recent design, has visibly better high-ISO JPGs.

RAW images are going to process very similarly if not identically.

Again, reread the list of differences:

"I too recommend that you consider the D200. Compared to the D80 it offers the following advantages:

It has a higher shooting rate (5 fps vs 3 fps), a higher shutter speed (1/8000th vs 1/4000th), much more information in the viewfinder (especially the ISO), the D200 meters with older manual focus lenses, the D200 has mirror-lock-up, faster flash sync, shorter shutter lag, much deeper shot buffer and lastly the shutter is supposed to be twice as durable in the D200 vs the D80.

Then again, the D80 is lighter and shoots more images with the same battery. The D80 also has slightly better high-ISO JPGs. In RAW they are very similar however.
    "

If you want even better noise control at high-ISO, then you must either choose a more recent model Nikon, the D300, D3 or D700, or wait to see if something is announced in about a month.

I concur............TOTALLY
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• TwistedJTwistedJ Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2008
    I appreciate you guys. I'm still in my learning days my gallery below speaks for itself.
    edited August 9, 2008
    Isn't the D200 a high end camera for a beginning shooter?
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited August 9, 2008
    TwistedJ wrote:
    Isn't the D200 a high end camera for a beginning shooter?

IMHO no, as you will be able to grow with the D200 for many years to come!
    edited August 10, 2008
    Seymore wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif
    And with the D200 you'll not feel you have to sell it to get a better cam for some time to come, like with your D40.

Okay you all have convinced me I'm D200 shopping.......thanks so much. Now when I get it and can't work it I expect some tutorials.....:ivar